thermoelectric fridges

Submitted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:14
ThreadID: 95682 Views:1837 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking about getting a Waeco thermoelectric fridge.

Any advice about thermoelectric fridges versus compressor fridge.

I do not anyone who has one to check efficiency etc.

Price is certainly competitive?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:46

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:46
hi alan
cant quite follow one line of your post but ?---

what size thermo fridge are you considering
i have a CT-8-12v model and it has been good so far draws 32w 12v
i sit it on the rear floor matof my vw golf
and runs it through a battery gard so it cant flatten the battery while im stationary for road side or town stops
cost me $50 5 yrs ago at a boat show holds quite a few cans and /or sandwiches /ice coffee etc
for a waeco its actually been more reliable than i expected considering ive always been an engel manbut credit where it due
cheers barry
AnswerID: 486289

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:46

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:46
Hi Alan,

Price is not the only thing they are competitive on. The use a good deal more electricity to achieve the same cooling. About five times more. They work on the solid-state 'Peltier–Seebeck' effect rather than a fridge motor/compressor.

They can be useful for small coolers in the cabin to keep drinks etc cold but are of little use as a camping or caravan fridge. In fact I have one between the front seats purely to keep our drinking water cool but it is arranged to only operate when the alternator is running. It draws a constant 2.5 Amps.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 486290

Reply By: Member - allan t (NT) - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:49

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:49
HI Alan
Dont waste your money they are about as useful as tits on a bull warm days wont cool dont expect a cold one out of one
allan
AnswerID: 486291

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 13:16

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 13:16
A thermoelectric fridge uses a lot more power then a compressor fridge will and in general is usually made of cheaper material and components, one bonus is there are no moving parts ..... the thermoelectric fridge range is designed for the occasional or budget user who doesn't require a real fridge or where cooling is not critical.

Thermoelectric fridges will only cool to about 20 Deg. C below ambient temp ..... if you have it in a car and the cars interior is 30 Deg. C you will not get much more then about 10 Deg. C cooling in the fridge, if it's 40 Deg. C ambient expect 15 to 20 Deg. C inside .... not quite cold enough for a beer!

On advantage of a thermoelectric fridge is they came also warm and work much better as a warmer then a cooler.

Most thermoelectric's are usually called cooler/warmers NOT fridge/freezer

Thermoelectric fridges are a bit of a toy, save your money and reduce your looses and by a compressor fridge that you can use for many years to come knowing it will work in 40+ ambient temps and keep your beer where it should be at 4 Deg. C.
AnswerID: 486293

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 17:42

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 17:42
Alan

It depends on where and what you want to do with it.

When we had the troopy we had one between the seats for 6 yrs and it was only used to keep drinks cool when travelling in most weather conditions and could not fault it.

For food etc we always used the fridges in the back of the troopy.

FollowupID: 761555

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 17:43

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 17:43
Alan

It depends on where and what you want to do with it.

When we had the troopy we had one between the seats for 6 yrs and it was only used to keep drinks cool when travelling in most weather conditions and could not fault it.

For food etc we always used the fridges in the back of the troopy.

FollowupID: 761556

Sponsored Links