Gas Cookers/burners

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:42
ThreadID: 9569 Views:2869 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All,
I was watching the video that came with my subscription to 4wd monthly last night. John Rooth was using a gas burner which he called a bunson? burner (my wife is the speller in the family not me) anyway the type that you use with a regulator and has gas rings. I have seen these at various outlets... Someone on the forum would have used these... Are they any good as far as heat generation goes? general cooking?
He also showed a simple camp kitchen with a milk crate holding it up...looked simple but effective (well on camera it did) ....

Regards

MarkGetaway Portable Refrigerator Hire
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maverick - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:09
mark, have seen them used over the years by many on road work gangs. seem to favour these rather than multi burner stoves. also some of the stations preferred these to the multi burner stoves. they do give out heaps of heat, no idea how much gas they consume though. try the disposal stores (midland or wellington) as they have them. then again i guess any of the camping stores as well. i seem to remember they weighed a bit but that may have changed (talking 30yrs here). rgds
AnswerID: 42120

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:41

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:41
Hi Mark:
If we are talking about the same thing, I have one which I bought when I got my camp oven (from Hillbilly). It is a gas ring, and needs a regulator. Mine has a stand that will handle the camp oven, and it can be used under the camp oven (pot cooking) or on top of the camp oven (oven I guess). But I have used it for other applications as well, and found it very good. Does not burn with as fierce a flame as a small gas stove (which I also have) but punches out plenty of heat.
I cannot give you precise gas usage details. I have it connected to a large gas bottle ( and regulator) and it certainly uses more than a conventinal camp stove, but I have not found it to be excessively so. It can certainly boil up a billy of water in pretty short time. It is heavy, but as it all fits in the one bag it is not a major problem for me. Hope I have been some help.
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 42127

Reply By: Nomad - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:50

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:50
G'day Mark

Yeh don't know if we are talking the same gear. I use a low pressure gas cooker. I've got a single burner one and a double. They are cast iron and use a regulator. Used to use the Kookaburra type gas stoves but found them prone to damage on rough roads and the gas jets tended to get blocked up with sand etc.

Certainly heavier but very efficient heat wise and I couldn't really say if they used more gas. Certainly not to a point of being noticable.

Cheers
Nomad
AnswerID: 42158

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:25

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:25
Hi Mark, i think you are refering to the chinese gas burners that all the disposal / camping stores have, and come in different sizes and ring numbers. I have used for many years a single burner which has an inner and outer ring mounted in a square stand, anyway the stand had cast legs which were fairly shoddy, so i replaced them with a solid box base which helps keep any breeze/ wind away from the flame . Hooks up to a standard 3/8 gas thread and reg . It boils a large saucepan of water in no time and doesent seem to consume a huge amount of gas compared to some of the camp stoves i have used. And the best thing is that it is nearly indestructable !! Downside - being cast iron they are fairly bulky and heavy. But the price is right.....Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 42336

Sponsored Links