Starting Battery Replacement

I am needing to replace my main starting battery on my 08 Nissan Patrol 3.0l CRD.

I currently have the original factory main battery with an Aux battery wired through an isolator. The main battery also has a winch connected.

I know that this question has been asked a number of times through this forum, but with new technologies always evolving, I thought I would ask it again.

I am looking for recommendations for make and model of batteries for my battery. Also, what figures/stats should I be looking for when looking for a battery for my vehicle? I know that the CCA is a figure to look at, but what is an acceptable rating for my vehicle?

Thanking you for your advice in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 18:02

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 18:02
Put in the biggest battery that will physically fit - N70Z should be plenty especially if running a winch as well. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 486409

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 19:02

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 19:02
Had to replace ours in the old girl 80 series this week. Couldnt believe we got 4 years out of a battery from Super Cheap. Yes thats right. Its been through some harsh conditions including 4x4parks, western Qld and the Cape. We put another one in at $169.
AnswerID: 486413

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 19:21

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 19:21
Try Exide Extreme, I have two and they last about 4 year on average. They are designed for the shake rattle and roll you encounter in a 4x4... About $250 each, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 486414

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 19:24

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 19:24
OHH! They are N70Z and N70ZZ and you can buy them at KMart as well as most battery places.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 761654

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 19:28

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 19:28
With a starting battery; buy the one suited to you Patrol and use a leading brand name one.

Going bigger in CCA is not going to do anything for you and there are no advantages...... a starting battery is what it is a starting battery.

If your patrol doesn't start with in 5 seconds of cranking there is something wrong.

Any battery place will have a listing for your Patrol.

Make sure you get a 2 year warranty and if can 3 years is better.

We sell RAA branded battery's, Try your state road side assistance organisation (RACQ, NRMA....), all the battery's they sell come from a company that all state motoring bodies have an active financial interest in called "Club Assist".

Club Assist is the largest buyers of battery's in Australia and source locally and overseas ensuring your getting quality.

You pay a fraction more but if your battery fails in the given warranty period all you do if phone your state motoring organisation and they will come out and replace it 100% free of charge 24 hrs 7 days a week.....
AnswerID: 486415

Reply By: blue one - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 20:12

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 20:12
A battery that can handle an explosion in close proximity. Every 3ltr should have one.

Cheers
AnswerID: 486420

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 06:42

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 06:42

FollowupID: 761683

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 06:10

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 06:10
I am sick of shaking wet cells to pieces, so I have changed to an AGM in the OKA 3 years ago and still going strong.
Best life so far.

Cheers,
Peter
AnswerID: 486434

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 06:29

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 06:29
Patrol GUV1,
Hi mate, I have replaced the battery in my GU4 TD42 with a CAT battery. It is a 880cca and cost me under $150. You can only get them from a Catterpiller dealer so that may deter some. I run CAT batteries in all my trucks and excavators as they are designed to handle the harsh environment that earthmoving machinery has to endure every day. I had to modify the cover that goes over the battery as it sits a little lower. I also run a winch off this battery.
Cheers Mick Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 486435

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 09:06

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 09:06
realy you have no choice other than to run an N70 sized battery in most 4Wds, that is what the vehicle needs and that is what the battery carrier is designed to take.

I am very strongly in favour of the use of marine batteries, generally they are better quality than the basic car battery and they are rugged construction.
They mostly have heavier plates and most importantly glass mat between the plates to help with the vibtarion.

Many manufacturers will offer a "4wd battery" or an "earth moving battery", mostly these are the same battery with a different colour case and a different lable as a marine battery......Mostly you can get a better deal on a marine battery.

As for cranking capacity (CCA), Because you are stuck with a single battery size and there is no free lunch and no mirricles, there will not be a huge difference in any capacity.
HOWEVER, as you move up the the range of batteries there will be considerable differences in performance as the construction improves and the chemistry changes.
A higher quality battery will generaly have better cold cranking, longer life and better performance all round.

The rugged construction batteries will generally be in the upper part of the quality range.

I can not recomend the use of AGM under bonnet as a general rule, because mostly they do not cope well with the heat.

A good sealed, rugged construction wet cell battery will have most of the advantages of AGM much better heat tolerance and will be half the price.

If you can lay your hands on them the Catapillar batteries have a good rep.

Persoanlly I like the Supercharge brand, Seamaster Gold, I have had a good trot with them and they have a very good following among boaties.

The Seamaster Gold is the sealed maintenance free version of the supercharge marine battery.

One point of difference with the seamaster gold, is that once out of warranty, if you peel the sticker off the top, the vent valves can be unscrewed and the battery topped up just like any other screw top battery.

cheers
AnswerID: 486444

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 23:12

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 23:12
The major difference with the Cat batteries is that the bottom end of the plates is bonded to the bottom of the case - to prevent the plates fracturing and breaking off with vibration. The regular batteries just have the plates hanging in down in the cells with no bottom support. The Cat batteries also have a thicker case, to resist damage.
However, in the 40+ years I've used Cat batteries (in earthmoving equipment), I rarely got any more than between 4 to 5 yrs out of a Cat battery. For the substantial extra premium that Cat dealers charge, I'm inclined to go with Bantams advice, and recommend a marine or a superior grade of automotive battery.
My personal preference is Century/Yuasa, although I have used many Supercharge batteries in recent years. However, the Supercharge batteries have given me a very mixed run.
I had two regular Supercharge batteries that crapped themselves before the warranty was out (30 mths).
Be aware that virtually all companies, if they agree to a battery warranty claim - only give you the balance of the warranty on the new battery.
Thus, in the case of the Supercharge claims, they crapped themselves around the 2 year mark - and when the replacement battery was supplied, there was only 6 mths remaining warranty applicable to the replacement battery.
I bought an old Holden ute in 2005, that had a Japanese-built Yuasa battery in it, that was NINE YEARS OLD! I couldn't believe it. It went for about another 6 mths after I bought the ute, before the battery died, and that gave me a whole new level of respect for Yuasa batteries!
Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 486516

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 19:06

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 19:06
At less than $150 for a 880cca battery I don,t think that would be considered a premium. 4 to 5 years battery life would do me.
FollowupID: 761940

Sponsored Links