How long will tyres last in the shed?

Submitted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 11:49
ThreadID: 95768 Views:5209 Replies:12 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I purchased a new set of Savero AT tyres when I travelled around Aust 3 years ago. They did 30,000 ks, when I returned I put the road tyres back on. The road tyres now have 75000 ks and still have plenty on them.
My question is will the tyres that are sitting in the shed undercover still be ok or do they lose their ability to work correctly because they are sitting?

Thanks

Wato
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - silvwayne - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 11:59

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 11:59
Hi Wato!

Don't know about modern tyres, but my father always had a new set of tyres stored in a dark place in the shed for about 12 months before he had to put them on. His theory was that they hardened up and he got a better mileage.

How long are caravans stored without any effect to their tyres.
AnswerID: 486635

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 12:45

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 12:45
The tyres may harden up over time but you also lose traction/grip.

My tyres were several years old and wet weather grip was appalling. I had about 50% tread left but chose to replace them.
FollowupID: 761898

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 20:32

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 20:32
Ben is on the money, we are just about to throw some Cooper atrs away because of their poor wet weather grip(And thats withs Sals carefull driving not me). They still have 30% thread, but cheaper to replace then have and accident. I have read the age code and they are six years old and past their use by date.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 761952

Reply By: Member -Ted - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 12:19

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 12:19
Hi Wato35

I dont think they will deteriorate in that time I have had BFG's stored for a couple of years and they are OK.

How did the Savero's perform? I currently have a set on the cruiser. About to do a big trip out west and thinking I might need another set. Mine are about half worn.

Cheers
AnswerID: 486636

Follow Up By: wato35 - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:20

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:20
Hi Ted

I had them on a Hilux SR5 towing a CT, travelled through the Pilbara, Kimberleys, Lawn Hiil, Birdsville Track any a few more. I had no problems with them, they gripped on all surfaces. As I said they did 30,000 k's on the trip and still have at least that again. I got 1 flat, but that was a bit of steel.
I would get another set, no problems.

Hope this helps.

wato
FollowupID: 761906

Follow Up By: Member -Ted - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:38

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:38
Wato

Thanks for that I might go that way

Cheers
FollowupID: 761907

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 12:36

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 12:36
Tyres deteriorate whether they are used or not.
Manufacturers recommend that tyres are replaced when they are 6 years since the date of manufacture.

See blog Tyre Information and follow the links.

If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 486637

Follow Up By: Stevesub1 - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 14:26

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 14:26
I have heard 5 years from a tyre dealer. There is a code on the tyres that say when they were manufactured.

I have used tyres that were stored for 5 years or more and they did give me problems so I would use your ones now.

Stevesub
FollowupID: 761912

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 12:37

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 12:37
Gday Wato
In 5000 yrs time some young wipper snapper will come along and dig them up, then make a tv show called "Time Team " and we will all be amazed at the amount of these round black things that are stored in big holes in the ground ,and in sheds all around the country. If they are under enough pressure , they might turn into diamonds.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 486638

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:50

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:50
G'day Wato, I'd never heard this theory that tyres should be scrapped when 5 years old until a couple of years ago, & it seems to have spread widely since then. This
has been promoted as a "safety" issue & as such will be widely accepted as true.
I dont have any evidence of any truth in it. I'm inclined to believe that if tyres are
checked regularly for damage, have adequate tread depth & are run at the right
pressure, then age has little influence on their safe usage. I fitted 2 unused spares,
off my Peugeot cars, 15 years old in 09...took them off recently with 67k on them
& had no issues..Michelin of course. I have tyres on agricultural implements that
are up to 50 year old & work fine. I have 3 sets of wheels for the Jack, all over 5 year old & no issues yet. A matter of choice, I suppose..cheers.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 486643

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:59

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:59
On our last big trip, we had a tyre blow on the caravan - it was six years old (by date of vehicle it came on - not checked from tyre date stamp). I said something about this to the tyre service proprietor, and he would not accept the 5-6 year theory. He suggested keeping them out of the sun was the best defence. On farm implements, i'll guess that some may have tyres twenty to thirty years old - and often stored outside in all weather. No problems. For me, the jury is still out on the age of tyres - but i do believe there is something in it.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 486644

Reply By: Gossy - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 14:36

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 14:36
Hi Wato35,

Tyres shouldn't be used if they are older than 10yrs old. You will notice the cracking of the rubber on the sides on inbetween the lugs around this age. When you see these, throw them out. I have just thrown out 5 10yr old Coopers without a flinch with about half tread left on them (done about 80,000km's). My tyres were old with this mileage because I'm fortunate enough to have my Patrol used only for trips away and it doesn't get used around town.

Best to do research on this as there are facts about this; this isn't a myth. Exposure to UV will increase the ageing so tyre covers for the spare are a good idea.
Going by the info you've given your tyres should be fine.

Look for an very slight indentation on the sidewall with 4 numbers. First two numbers are the week of the year and the last two are the year of manufacture.

so 4510 is the tyre was made in the 45th week of 2010.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 486651

Follow Up By: wato35 - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 14:54

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 14:54
Thanks, I will check for that mark.
FollowupID: 761914

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 09:37

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 09:37
Wato
I've got 8 yo Coopers that I bring out once a year for an outback trip. They are stored under the house where its quite dark. Still unsure whether to chuck them out. Gave me no trouble last september out there
FollowupID: 761995

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 09:39

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 09:39
Sorry Wato, that last comment should have been directed to Gossy!!
FollowupID: 761996

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 12:07

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 12:07
The tyre build date codes vary according to when they were made.
Tyres built before year 2000 have 3 digits in the age code. Tyres built since the year 2000 have 4 digits in the tyre code.

The Bridgestone website link below gives good advice on aged tyres and finding the tyre build date.
Bridgestone guarantee their tyres for 5 years, and recommend 6 years as the age when tyres should be treated as "aged".

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/passenger/care/age.aspx

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 762003

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 16:39

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 16:39
The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates
that about 400 US fatalities annually may be attributed to tyre failures.
There were disastrous problems in the US with the Ford Explorer fitted with
Firestone tyres; some 271 people were killed and many hundreds of people
were injured.

NHTSA have funded research across the US to evaluate the effects of climate and have found that the failures are significantly greater in the hotter states.

“While tyre life will ultimately depend on the tyres’ service conditions
and the environment in which they operate, there are some general guidelines.
Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that tyres be replaced
every six years regardless of use. In addition, a number of tyre manufacturers
cite 10 years as the maximum service life for tyres." NHTSA

As we live in a very warm climate then I would recommend the 6 years rather than the 10 year lifetime.

You will find a lot more information if you view the blog recommended in my earlier reply above.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 486657

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 17:07

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 17:07
G'day all

We sold our van to my sister and B_I_L around 2007 and the tyres were 4 yrs old

I suggested to him that the tyres should be replaced in the next 12 months.

He kept them on the van because there was plenty of tread.

Seven months or so later he blew a tyre at Ceduna which caused considerable damage when the tyre delaminated and hit the underside of the van.

He inspected the other 3 tyres and found another was just starting to delaminate.

Got two tyres sent up from Adelaide and replaced the other two at Albany.

I had heard about the 5 yr rule and told him about it.

From what I understand is that tyre construction is totally different from the 70's etc and they will start to deteriorate around the 5 to 6 yr mark.

FollowupID: 761923

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 00:59

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 00:59
Rob D - The Ford Explorer, Firestone tyre problem was mostly sheeted home to Ford management demanding that the Firestones be run several psi below their recommended pressures, to ensure a soft ride for Explorer owners.

As a result, many Firestones failed, mostly due to belt separation, as they were run at too low a pressure to start with - and with many owners not checking pressures regularly, the Firestones often ended up with only 15-20 psi in them.

The Firestones would then fail under high temperatures and hard driving conditions, and numerous fatalities resulted.
There was basically nothing wrong with the tyres (or the Explorer) - although it was found that one Firestone factory (Decatur) did have a slightly higher tyre failure rate (due to belt separation) than all the other Firestone factories.

As regards tyre age - well, this 5 or 6 yr limit is a new one on me. I've used tyres that have been 10 and 15 yrs old, and had no problems with them.
Tyres do deteriorate relatively rapidly however, with strong UV light exposure ("ozoned" tyres) - and you'll see fine cracking in the rubber in the wall that indicates this.
Once you see that happening, you know the tyres are perishing and it's time to quit them.

If the walls show no sign of fine cracking when the rubber flexes (as at the bottom), then a tyre older than 6 yrs should still give satisfactory service.
I've had numerous Dunlops, though, (commonly nicknamed "banglops") where the casing or belt separated before the tread was even half worn out.
In every case, the tyre developed a bulge in the wall or the tread, showing that the carcass was coming apart - even though the rubber was just fine.
In several cases, the bulge was big enough to create serious wheel vibration at speed.

As a result of the regular dreadful Dunlop tyre performance, I have not bought a Dunlop tyre for many years - and I have no intention of doing so for the rest of my life.
Buy well-known, good quality, brand name tyres, and you'll never go wrong.

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 761977

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 10:36

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 10:36
The information I have published both here and in my Blog is based solely on tyre manufacturer recommendations and those of the US Tire and Rim Association who are responsible for the setting of standards for the US Tire and Rim manufacturers.

I am not presenting my personal opinion. If you care to look at the blog and follow the links you will find the information sources. Try Googling 'Deaths caused by tire failure'.

Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 761999

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 11:54

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 11:54
Rob D - Well, of course, tyre manufacturers want you to throw your perfectly good tyres out after 6 yrs - they've got a vested interest in selling you new ones!

The "deaths by tyre failure" stories are sure to raise many arguments. On one hand, we have the people such as Ralph Nader (he of the "Unsafe at Any Speed" book) who claimed that manufacturers low tyre pressures, selected for comfort, were a repeat factor in Chev Corvair fatalities.
Nader also trashed the Corvair design, as well as manufacturers attitudes. Some of his points were valid, a lot were overblown.

The Ford Explorer/Firestone saga raises a lot of interesting points, and much of it was related to manufacturers pointing the finger at the other parties and away from themselves.
To their credit, both Ford and Firestone bent over backwards to assess and fix the problems.

On one hand, with the Explorer/Firestone saga, we're talking about 28 deaths caused by Firestone tread separation, in a total of 47,000,000 Firestone tyres produced between 1990 and 2000.

On the other hand, the USDOT accident figures show that light trucks/SUV's rollovers featured prominently in U.S. road deaths (25%) - 10,000 people were killed in light truck/SUV rollovers, out of 40,000 total U.S. road deaths - and Firestone tyres on Explorers only accounted for 28 of these fatalities!

Further, NOWHERE in any of the Ford Explorer/Firestone lawsuits or investigations, was TYRE AGE MENTIONED, as a factor!
What was mentioned was that some of the Explorer/Firestone deaths were attributable to people not wearing seatbelts!

Many of the Firestone tyre failures were on Interstates where the minimum speed is 55mph (90 kmh). Many Americans travel at 80mph or more on Interstates.

The question was raised about how many light truck/SUV tyres are capable of sustained high speeds - particularly after having been belted through severe off-road conditions for extended periods.
Off-roading often results in carcass bruising and damage that is not picked up until the tyre blows.

Interesting outline here, of the Explorer/Firestone saga: http://www.stern.nyu.edu/om/faculty/zemel/ford_firestone.pdf

The simple fact remains, that poor vehicle control skills by drivers, are the primary factor in accidents. A tyre can blow at any time - new, old or half-worn - and in my long experience of 46 yrs at the wheel, over 2 million kms, and driving everything from motorcycles to 100 tonne Drake low-loaders, I've had a number of major tyre failures at speed.
In every single case, I used my acquired vehicle control skills to prevent an accident - and I have NEVER rolled a vehicle in that 46 yrs, despite some very hairy moments.

The greatest scenario of tyre failures I've encountered was travelling at speed on freshly-graded roads. Freshly-graded roads are full of trash such as small rocks and sticks, and these damage tyres very rapidly. The only other equivalent I've encountered is gibber-strewn roads.

I'll stick by my personal assessment of tyre usefulness by examining its condition. I've changed enough tyres in my life to be able to recognise carcass bruising or rubber perishing, or other dangerous tyre damage - and I'm not going to throw out perfectly good tyres, just because of some arbitrary time life limit - that may or may not be applicable, because of the huge variety of tyre conditions, usage conditions, and storage scenarios.

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 762002

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 18:55

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 18:55
Here are some relevant comments on this topic by Collyn Rivers – Tech Notes:

“Apart from often gross overloading another very common form of grief is any tyre more than 6 or 7 years old – regardless of state of wear. Do take this seriously. Do not even think of using it as a spare as it then ages even further – and may fail when most needed.

Rubber slowly oxidises – this is harmless if the tyre is in use as the constant ‘squeezing’ action when it rotates under load effectively pumps out the long term harmful oxygen (this is about the only valid reason to use nitrogen – not that I suggest doing so).

But, if totally unused, or almost unused, a brand new tyre is almost certain to fail once 7 years old – and is at some risk after 5.”

The comment Collyn made about Nitrogen is interesting – a family friend has just had delivered their new Jayco and the tyres are all filled with nitrogen – apparently this is standard practice with Jayco now.

So it seems a tyre sitting in the shed unused is the worst possible scenario - one that is used "squeezed" regularly but still plenty of tread is far better,

Cheers

AnswerID: 486674

Reply By: Michaeljp - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 19:30

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 19:30
I bought my first brand new hilux in 1989. I put on a set of
31x10.5 x 15 Kumhos A/T's in i think 1990. When they wore out in a year, i kept the best as a spare. To this day i still have that spare tyre on my present 1996 hilux. In 2009 i had a rear puncture in Karijini NP. I put on my 21yo spare on and drove for the next 6 days till i got to broome to fix my good tyre. And i still have that as a spare today. That tyre/wheel has sat under 2 hiluxs for the past 21 - 22 years and seen nearly 1 million kms of road go by.
AnswerID: 486678

Reply By: GT Campers - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 22:39

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 22:39
yep tyres age - six years in my magic number for replacement regardess of use/tread depth. Some manufacturers - eg Nissan - recommend in thier owners manuals that tyres not be used after 6 years.

Two years ago I bought some race rubber; one tyre was 18 months older than the other three - it was harder (fingernail test) and was even a slightly different colour. I insisted it be swapped
AnswerID: 486704

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 11:48

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 11:48
Also don't store tyres near an electrical motor.

That generates ozone which doesn't help the compound.
AnswerID: 486747

Sponsored Links