Champion Caravans

Submitted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 16:16
ThreadID: 95774 Views:8173 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
In response to the questions in regards to Champion Caravans I would like to warn prospective buyers. From our experience we are extremely disappointed with our dealings with this company. We ordered a van earlier this year with an agreed delivery date. The date arrived and the van had not even been started despite being continually told that it would be delivered on time. When construction finally began and we were invited to see how things were progressing we were shocked to see that it wasn't being built according to the plans we had agreed on. Out of frustration we discussed with the owner cancelling the van and having our deposit refunded. He agreed to this, stating that our deposit would be refunded the following day. Here we are months later, after numerous communications with this company, and still no refund. We know that the van was completed and has been sold. We are now left with no option but to chase our refund through legal channels. Please be aware that this company promises everything but is not good on delivering.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 18:38

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 18:38
It sounds like the company promise is you:
C an
H ave
A ny
M istake
P rogrammed
I nto
O ur
N ew

Caravans.
AnswerID: 486670

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 08:32

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 08:32
Sounds just the same situation I have experienced here in SA.

Promise you everything.
Give you nothing and
before you get it they take it away.

We were advised on a number of issues even though we asked for something different. "but that's the standard way we do it" regardless how non standard our design was or we have never done it that way.

I am aware of similar issues here with this manufacturer and other customers.
I really wonder why I persevered with this company.
Issue was I had invested too many $$$$$ to walk away and getting a refund etc would never happen.

used van at Xmas for 2 weeks
Many many issues with it.
Have had them addressed and had the van in their premises for over TWO Months.

The suspension was replaced on my van.
Advised it was all good.
Drove it 10 kms and had a red hot wheel.
Brake issue
had it "Fixed"
now issue with brakes locking on when reversing.

Steps were removed for the suspension issue.
When asked if they would be reinstalled I was advised I would have to do it myself.
Their response "I think we have done enough for you"

Awaiting a response from them as to what they will try next.

AnswerID: 486720

Follow Up By: Krakatinny Traveller - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 23:06

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 23:06
To Geoff of SA, you have our sympathies. It is extremely frustrating when you think you have done your homework and then end up with nothing like you expected. I hope you get your van fixed, sounds like you have been let down too. We just want our money back, and to save some other prospective buyers from suffering from unscrupulous manufacturers.
FollowupID: 762078

Reply By: shylok - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 17:31

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 17:31
I did buy a Maiya 20'6" van from Champion and while I did have some problems with the van, all of them were fixed under warranty without the problems you seem to be having.
The van was built to our specs and we also had to wait for delivery,but when it came it it was as ordered.
Ours was built by Condor and any problems were fixed
Ken
AnswerID: 486909

Follow Up By: Krakatinny Traveller - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:03

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:03
Interesting that your van was built by Condor. We were having ours built by another manufacturer in Campbellfield, and we have since been told that company wont build caravans for Champion any longer. It is obvious that he is having difficulty finding companies to build vans for him. From our experience we know why!!
FollowupID: 762294

Reply By: Penguin - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:58

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:58
Hi Krakatinny Traveller,

I, to , have had a similar situation as you and is fairly well detailed in the following link http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25512. There is a lot of other information there as well. You may be able to PM me through there system if you want to compare notes. My van was built by Dreamseeker.

Bob
AnswerID: 486935

Follow Up By: Krakatinny Traveller - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:10

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:10
Did read your issue via link, however could not find your PM address. It is a shame you were unable to name the company concerned. F Y I we believe there may be a link betweeen Dreamseeker and Champion. Beware.
FollowupID: 762298

Follow Up By: shylok - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 14:05

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 14:05
Hello all
I think the link between Champion and Dreamseeker is that Dreemseeker may be the manufacturer ?
I don't know what is going on at Champion as we got one very early and as stated we did have some problems with the weights but they were adjusted on a new vin plate which was accepted by Vicroads with no worries and other probs were also fixed by condor

Ken
FollowupID: 762337

Follow Up By: Krakatinny Traveller - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 12:39

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 12:39
You must be one of the rare lucky ones. From our experience and from what we have read recently in the various Online Forums Champion has a very poor reputation and seems as though he continually changes manufacturers, and we know that some have already refused to have further dealings with him.
FollowupID: 762412

Follow Up By: Sandra A1 - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 23:29

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 23:29
Krakatinny, you have no idea of any hard facts. Surely enough you will be up for slander.
Bob, why dont you tell the truth about the weight and tell all that it was you that wanted the extra weight.
There are guidlines and specifications that need to be enforced when building caravans just like house.

FollowupID: 762560

Follow Up By: Penguin - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:20

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:20
Sandra A1, I don't know where you are coming from. I don't know whether you are saying that I need to tell this forum readers all the weights or that you are suggesting I am not telling the truth.

You are correct when you say that there are guidelines and specifications that need to be enforced and that is the basis for what I asked for. When the maker says that the tare of the van is 1720kgs and the real tare, as handed over by him, is 240kgs heavier, then he has an offence under the Weights and Measurements act by falsifying the weights. I offered them, dealer and maker, an opportunity to rectify the issue by increasing the weights on the compliance plate. The van was designed to have the weights that have been mentioned in other forums.
FollowupID: 762577

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:58

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:58
Penguin and Sandra

There are many manufacturers that are unable for some reason (inability to have a van weighed correctly, or just don,t care) in relation to the weight of the van. The major issue with van manufacturers is they issue the compliance plate themselves AND NO ONE ELSE CHECKS.
The local compliance people do not check and as usual it is the owner that will cop the fine if it is deemed to be over weight.
Yes I agree there are rules and regulations to be followed but these are sometimes bent like a half shut pocket knife.
The manufacturer of the van I have stated this fact to me when I questioned him in relation to the excessive ball weight he managed to "engineer" to our van.
As he said 'I am the only honest manufacturer when it comes to weights etc" every one else tells fibs.
And yes he to has changed my compliance plate and didn't even have to take the van over a weigh bridge to confirm his assumptions the weight had not been altered after some serious suspension and weight distribution changes.

but he is very clever at guessing weights mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (Legal or not)??????
I would ask most van owners to check the compliance plate weights and they will find all are quite a bit on the skinny side.

As I said at the top of the followup, No one checks these van manufacturers compliance plates for accuracy.

And on another note this manufacturer kindly advised he doesn,t change the registration over to the purchaser for the first year. He in fact holds the legal ownership of the van for the 1st 12 months (Again LEGAL) ??????
while in his office he said he had to put another 3 months rego onto a van as the Owners (yes they had paid for the van 12 months earlier) could not re-register it in another state as they were not the registered owners

I had to very firmly tell him to put it in our names.

Sandra just like house builders there are some very strange practices being undertaken by caravan builders as well.

This forum is all about tell those on it and those interested all the GOOD and BAD points of Vans Travel, Vehicles etc.
If we can stop someone else from getting burnt by some incompetent manufacturer the that is good.
It is interesting to note there are more warnings about bad, poor, incompetent etc than praise on here.

Just remember and this is to all the van manufacturers:
You cannot buy good advertising But you can give away bad for nothing.

And that's what this site is all about.

Geoff

FollowupID: 762586

Follow Up By: 4WD On Tour - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:51

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:51
We have a Dazzling Caravan made by Champion Caravan's and we cannot fault the caravan or the service. Our van was built on time and the after care service with the company is excellent. We have recommended 2 of our friends to Champion Caravans and both are extremely happy with the caravans that they got custom built.

FollowupID: 764332

Sponsored Links