Melbourne to Broome

Submitted: Friday, May 25, 2012 at 16:59
ThreadID: 95808 Views:2081 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We intend to travel to Broome leaving approx July and booked into Broome on the 19 Aug we would like to visit the Olga's , Kings Canyon, Alice Springs, than take the Tanami track towards Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing and onto Broome hopping to take some more of road tracks along the way and do some sight seeing along the way of interest comments.
Also would like to know if any body has taken the Connie Sue HWY from Cocklebiddy to Warburton WA then cross the border back into NT towards the Olgas the question is what is the road like that time of year we are towing a 21ft off road Trakmaster caravan with a Toyota 200 with 318 lt of diesel tank including long range tank, any alternative routes would also be appreciated ,
Thank you all in advance , regards H .

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 10:29

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 10:29
Gidday

I have made separate trips along the Connie Sue north and south of Neale Junction. North in July last year and south in October 2008. The south trip only went as far as the Trans line access road.

The Connie Sue is a fairly typical WA desert track, with sandy, rocky, narrow, corrugated and just very ocasionally good sections, often all of that in the space of a few kilometres. The south is a bit hazy in the memory (already!) but i think it was better than the north, although some long bulldust holes were a warning that it is not a place to be after rain.

There were two rain events around Warburton in the early part of 2011 that caused major flooding and there were signs of that in the northern part of the Connie Sue for the last section before it joins the Great Central Road just west of Warburton. It looked like the track had become a creek and long sections were badly washed out. There were plenty of diversions and it was very slow going.

We had some camper trailers in our group and while they handled the conditions Ok I wouldn't have thought it suitable for a caravan ... but then again I have seen those caravan to the cape videos and I suppose anything is possible.

Either way it is a great part of the country and well worth a visit.

Cheers

Rocco

AnswerID: 486803

Follow Up By: Member - " H " (VIC) - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 13:27

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 13:27
Thanks Rocco for your comment, we have divided not to do the Connie Sue after googling and have seen some of the problems we could encounter.
Regards, and safe traveling .

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 762041

Sponsored Links