Question 4 V8 TROOPIE

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 07:39
ThreadID: 9581 Views:1792 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey mate,
Quick question, I read that you have had a V8 chev 6.2 conversion done. I am currently looking into it now but am a bit hesitant on the $$$. What is the performance like compared with the 2H??? On highways and in rough rocky conditions. I'm not towing anything at the moment but want to have something with a bit more balls for touring and maybe the odd competition in the future. I spoke to Brad at brunswick diesel in WA and was quoted $11500 for the full kit including marks adaptors but not installation.
Any info would be great buddy.

Cheers
Brighty.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris (W.A.) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 21:59

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 21:59
Go the smokey detroit!!!!Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
AnswerID: 42281

Reply By: V8troopie - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 00:24

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 00:24
Brighty, you want to know the performance difference? After the troopy suddenly has twice the horse power?? Surely you can figure that one out!
While I'm not into burnouts I do surprise many by the way she takes off at traffic lights changing now :-) Even if she hesitates for a half second if one plants the foot too quickly before things start to roar and whirr. Anybody knows the cure for that lag? There's no turbo ( don't need one now) and she has a 75mm round intake pipe from the snorkel, 62mm exhaust pipe from the V8. Tried the standard Toyota paper air filter and the ARB finer filter, makes no difference. I still think its a momentary lack of air until the suction starts moving the air through the pipes but how to fix it?

Not towing, once out of town you change into fifth gear and leave it there. Climbs hills in fifth and has no problems overtaking that smoking Patrol in the slow lane - I'm ducking for cover now :-)
Unless towing, I never take off in first gear now, even up my steep driveway - the troopy jumps too much then. In rocky hills with all that extra torque she needs a gentle touch on the pedal to avoid wheel spin, plenty of grunt for that climb.

Go and twist Brad's arm a bit, mind you, the price I quoted was paid nearly 3 years ago. Their charges would go up like anybody else's I'd think. I would not try to install the V8 myself, kit or no kit, they do it all the time and know the job backwards. I doubt there are any savings in the long run by doing one's own conversion.
Klaus
AnswerID: 42303

Follow Up By: brighty - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:01

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:01
cheers buddy,
thanks for that info, greatly appreciated.... happy 4wding!!!!
FollowupID: 304784

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 13:42

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 13:42
V8troopie,
re your query on the lag when you um, "plant it",
From my experience with V8 carby engines (petrol, of course) in my "hoon" days (30+ yrs. ago), this "lag" is typically the result of TOO MUCH air.. i.e., not enough fuel at that critical moment when the throttle is opened wide...
Standard fix in those days (with a Holley) was a bigger accelerator pump kit... Bigger "squirt" when you plant the boot.. fixed it right up...

(I'm aware of the differences with the fuel/air delivery systems between petrol & diesel engines, so I've no idea what the cure would be in your case)...

Actually, never heard of anyone doing this, but the ol' mind just got thinkin' maybe if you could work out a way to "give it a shot of ether" just as you plant the boot, I reckon she'd give ya whiplash!!! hehehe

Regards, Ed. C.Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand............
Not necessarily mechanic!!"
FollowupID: 304799

Sponsored Links