Sunday History Photo / WA

Submitted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 08:04
ThreadID: 95833 Views:3791 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The Western Australian Cricket Association was officially established on 25 November 1885 under the Presidency of JCH James. In 1893, the WACA ground was officially opened, occupying a site of old swamp land to the east of the city. The Association has freehold title to the ground. Originally the title was for 29 acres. However, part was sold to the Trotting Association in the early 1920s.
The first match played on the turf wickets took place in February 1894. However, difficulties encountered in transporting teams to Western Australia meant that the ground was not part of Australia's main cricket community for many years. Even with the building of a transcontinental railway, the trip from the eastern states still took several days. It took the introduction of scheduled flights to Western Australia to make the WACA readily accessible to interstate or overseas teams.

Image Could Not Be Found

James Gardiner, president of the WACA for three terms between 1897 and 1924, proposed the adoption of 'electorate' cricket whereby teams were established on a district basis for competition. He also inaugurated Country Week cricket, during which country teams compete against each other. In 1907, the WACA ground was under threat of being controlled by the Perth City Council to recover debts. Gardiner led the bid to save the ground and secured a government loan. Further financial difficulties led Gardiner to again raise funds and donations with a cricket match by the Australian XI team in 1912.
In 1895 the first grandstand was built at the WACA Ground, seating 500 people and incorporating dressing rooms, a dining room, bathrooms, members’ rooms and bars.

In 1931 the Farley Stand was opened, named after W.J. Farley, the Association President from 1915–1916 to 1916–17 and Secretary from 1917–1918 to 1928–1929.
Donald Bradman played at the ground for the first time and attracted a crowd in excess of 20,000 in 1932

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

In the 1960s the Players Pavilion was built to provide facilities for the players and the WACA administration. Seating was later added to provide extra seating for the WACA's inaugural Test Match in 1970.

In 1970 the Test Stand was opened, to celebrate the first Test Match to be played at the WACA. It was later renamed the Inverarity Stand, after Western Australian, South Australian and Australian player John Inverarity.

Image Could Not Be Found

From 1984 to 1988 the WACA underwent major renovations, including a complete resurfacing of the ground and the construction of new terracing and seating in the outer. Also built were the three tiered Prindiville grandstand and two tiered Lillee-Marsh grandstand, which increased the ground's seating capacity. Six large light towers were also installed in 1986 at a cost of $4.2 million, allowing for night time sports such as day-night cricket matches to be played at the ground. An icon of the WACA, the floodlights are 70 metres high and cost $600 per hour to run.

And to add a little more history , today there's a game at Mt Bundy on the old ww2 Cricket Pitch, I would have a guess and say this will be the first game held since 1945, this is a very unique Cricket ground , it has a couple of obstacles on the infield. If anyone is near the game starts at 1:30pm.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 09:23

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 09:23
Excellent Doug!!!

Hope your game goes well.

Alan
AnswerID: 486874

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 09:54

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 09:54
Well, I'd have guessed it was an Aussie military unit stationed at Mt Bundy during WW2, and not a Yank one!
I though if it had been a Yank unit, they'd have left behind a full concrete ball park! [;-)

Is this really a proper cricket pitch, Doug? Or just one of the concrete building/installation pads left behind, that you utilise as a pitch?
It looks like you've been doing some good research and historical marker work, out there - well done!

http://www.ozatwar.com/usnavy/fruadelaideriver.htm

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 486877

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 20:32

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 20:32
G'day Ron

Yes mate a real WW2 Cricket pitch. there was an oval there where they played Footy, Hocky, and many other sports,

Yanks, there were hundreds of of them too, USAAF, Navy and Army and they did leave lots of different military vehicles and some were used on the Station in the late 40's early 50's but it's all gone now, have a look in HERE

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762178

Reply By: lancie49 - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 10:54

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 10:54
Again a great read from Doug with the added bonus of a read from Ron.
Thanks to you both.

A bit ironic having the WACA featured today Doug.
Our daughter Kathryn is doing a FunRun starting/finishing at that ground for The Heart Foundation in memory of a very close friend who died following a heart attack in January of this year.
Paulie was only 32. So sad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzqMathdHR4&feature=share

Our young ppl today do really care and can make us all very proud.
Kathryns group have now raised over $6500. Amazing.
http://hbfrunfundraising.com.au/the_amazings

Thanks chaps, great reading on a wet and cool Melboune morning.

Lance
AnswerID: 486883

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:25

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:25
Well here I am at Mt Bundy, I arrived here this morning with dad on our 'Chalie & Boots' tour.
After booking in & setting up the first thing to do was to make enquiries about this Doug T character who resides here at Mt Bundy & is the author of these great Sunday Photos posts. Not that I doubted any different after meeting Doug, he is a throughly charming & entertaining person.
I'm sorry though I didn't make it for the cricket match as a tour/inspection of the Adelaide River war cemetery was an important stop for dear old dad.
For those who haven't stopped here at Mt Bundy, let me tell you it is a very pleasant place to stay..... the genuine welcome you get from the staff is very nice & the surrounds are very clean & comfortable. (sensibly priced also)
Now I must go & find Doug to find out the 'final score'
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 486918

Reply By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 20:17

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 20:17
Tony

Good to see you mate..pity you didn't make it for the game , this being the first drew a reasonable gathering so we had 2 teams of 8 , Scores were 74 to 69 runs , my team won by 5 over Scott's , The Station owners team, This will be a usual activity on Sundays so if any Members or non members of EO are up here your very welcome to come and join in, even if your not camped at Mt Bundy .

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 486937

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:08

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:08
I love watching cricket at the WACA but unfortunatly its had its day. Its just far too small

every day of the test matches are sold out - the one dayers are sold out and even the state games this year were sold out

it needs a capacity of at least 35000 - currently its not much more than a large suburban ground

Hopefully cricket will be played at the new stadium - it will be a pity but theres not much point having a cricket ground no one can get into
AnswerID: 486942

Sponsored Links