Storage Cairns region

Submitted: Monday, May 28, 2012 at 14:25
ThreadID: 95860 Views:1379 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking for storage in the Cairns region from later this year, early November until late Feb next year - we have a Nisan Patrol and 21 Foot caravan. We would prefer undercover for the car but the van would be ok outside. Have checked out a couple of storage yards and the cost are just a little high we want to store it not buy the yard??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 11:55

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 11:55
Why not try Mareeba or Atherton. A lot of the land around Cairns is fairly low lying and when a cyclone comes through it floods out in a lot of areas.
The new housing blocks are fairly small, as everywhere else in Oz, which are not made "for real blokes" who want a shed, so storage is in demand for boats etc.
If you are storing over the cyclone season these other towns may let you sleep a little easier and being up on the tablelands the humidity and temps are a little lower reducing the chance of mould taking over, great drive up the hill too amongst some of the best land in Australia.
My preference would be Atherton.
AnswerID: 487087

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:35

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:35
GimmeeIsolation - "being up on the tablelands the humidity and temps are a little lower reducing the chance of mould taking over"???????

:-) That is not quite correct, it would be the other way round with Mould. The further you get up on to the Tablelands the more Mould there is.

I am at 820m, in the clouds most of the time and Mould on Mould :-)

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 762347

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:51

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:51
Lived in East Palmerston and Cairns for several years and we use to go to Atherton regularly to escape and enjoy the difference in micro climate.
Anyway, whatever you say. Just pay the Cairns storage.....
Have cut n pasted from the Atherton visitor web page that the locals must have wrong too.

With an annual rainfall of around 1600mm, Atherton (the most central town), and its immediate district, are a lovely tropical green. The towns and villages of the Atherton Tablelands boast a tropical atmosphere and close knit community spirit. Naturally air-conditioned, being an average 700 metres above sea level the district is free of coastal humidity. The perfect summer retreat, but still close enough to enjoy coastal attractions. Residents boast that they are blessed with the best weather in the world. With winter getting an occasional helping of early morning frost and the daily temperature around a perfect 21 degrees Celsius, the spectacular afternoon/evening storms in spring and the lower humidity in summer makes this an all year destination without the oppressive climate at sea level.
AnswerID: 487106

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 19:36

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 19:36
GimmeeIsolation - Not sure you directed your reply to the right person when you said ? "Just pay the Cairns storage....."

Cut and paste as much as you like, I am a local & I live here in FNQ, have done for many a year and tell it as it is.

The Atherton Tablelands is Rainforest Country is it not?

Lots of Rain, lots of mould.

Mareeba is not bad, it does have a lot drier climate, but you are not yet on the Atherton Tablelands.

Atherton is Fair on the fringe of the Rainforest, but it still gets the drizzle.

I am outside Malanda and I average 4000mm. My Roof top camper in the shed has a wonderful cover of Mould at the moment as does any surface that is not regularly cleaned. Go away for a weekend, close up the house and the table is covered in mould.

Yes it is cooler than Cairns and mostly less humid, but it is the Rain & constant drizzle that is the issue and not the "coastal humidity".

Our Humidity comes from living in the clouds and drizzle :-)

Cheers :-)

Tony
FollowupID: 762365

Reply By: P & G - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 16:17

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 16:17
Thanks for the responses appreciated - looks like we will just have to pay the parking in Cairns - never kind that's just the way that it goes again thanks
AnswerID: 487182

Follow Up By: P & G - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 16:30

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 16:30
Thanks for the responses appreciated - looks like we will just have to pay the parking in Cairns - never mind that's just the way that it goes again thanks
FollowupID: 762433

Sponsored Links