Lake Eyre South and Stuart Creek

Submitted: Monday, May 28, 2012 at 15:33
ThreadID: 95863 Views:1850 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We'll be in Andamooka in August and I'd like to see Lake Eyre South and Stuart Creek.

Travelling in a 2wd tray back ute. Reckon on leaving the caravan at Andamooka and camping a night or two in the tent.

I should get up the Borefield Road from Roxby Downs alright. Been half way up there in the Commodore a few years back.

But when I meet the Oodnadatta track and turn left, will I get along there in a 2wd?

So long as we can get within walking distance of Lake Eyre South, say a couple of kms, that will be OK.

Then on to where the track crosses Stuart creek? I'd really like to be able to see Stuart Creek, even if not the best part of it which a think would be further upstream.

Thanks,
Laurie.

Of course, this is weather dependant and you can be sure we'll be keeping a close watch on the weather.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scoey4 (SA) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:30

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:30
Greetings,

Was on the Oodnadatta Track last month - no worries with your 2wd.

Enjoy the trip.

Cheers.

SCOEY
AnswerID: 487004

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:57

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:57
Thanks Scoey! Will enjoy!
FollowupID: 762254

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:31

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:31
Any thing out that way in a two wheel drive is asking a bit much at that time of year, many roads can become closed or have 4wd access only with in a couple of hours of rain.

In good weather you can get through any of the major roads with a two wheel drive.

We have been up that way a fair few times and have been nearly caught when they have received 50mm of rain in 1.5 hours and 120 Kilometre winds .

We have been 100 kilometres further up a track from friends.... they copped big rain that made the track impassable and we had blue sky's.

The main issue you may have in a two wheel drive is ground clearance.

AnswerID: 487005

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 17:14

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 17:14
Thanks olcoolone! Appreciate your concern!

I'm not so worried about getting stuck somewhere should it rain, so long as it's not in a creek bed. We'll have plenty of drinking water and tucker. I bake a pretty mean loaf of bread in the camp oven. I expect someone in a fourby would turn up within a day or two.

Am I right in thinking that as long as I stick to the regular 4x4 tracks, there'd be a couple of vehicles a day, out there?

By contrast, on my quadbike trips a bit further south, I've gone a week or more without seeing a soul, nor would I if I stayed out there for a month. Very isolated and all alone to get myself out of trouble.

I was more concerned about the general quality of the track; whether to make a start or give it a miss. If I was to strike a washed out creek crossing, too steep and rough for a 2wd, say every few kms, then I'd avoid the track.

Thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 762256

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 17:35

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 17:35
" I was more concerned about the general quality of the track; whether to make a start or give it a miss. If I was to strike a washed out creek crossing, too steep and rough for a 2wd, say every few kms, then I'd avoid the track."

Go for it, Laurie. Make the start.

Good roads, well maintained. No issues for a 2wd unless a big dump happens. Then everything stops - 2 or 4 wheel don't matter - it's just impassable (yep, 1st hand experience - stuck for 4 days).

Relatively speaking you are unlikely to get a washed out creek anywhere. No, there are not creeks every few km; rather a few bigger ones feeding into L Eyre South. The creek crossings on the Oodna track are very well constructed and some have concrete causeways.

On the Borefield Rd there is only one 'creek' & that is the shallow depression about 3 km wide which is the watercourse of the Gregory, about 20 -25 km south of the Oodna Track.

At this time of year there is plenty of traffic for support if needed.

Don't forget to drop your tyre pressures.

Cheers

RM

FollowupID: 762353

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 17:56

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 17:56
PS

if you are going to see Stuart Creek, and the viewing spot on the edge of L Eyre South, make sure you go on a bit further & visit Coward Springs. Quite an interesting location.
FollowupID: 762360

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 18:17

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 18:17
You'll be fine mate, unless it rains. Oodnadatta Track is a well travelled road these days and easy going unless its wet. The wetter the worser so keep a close eye on the weather forecast.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487027

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:29

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:29
Thanks Wooly! Great info. It's often good to hear what you want to hear!
FollowupID: 762300

Sponsored Links