80 Series LH Door Window

Submitted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:11
ThreadID: 95887 Views:2124 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I wound the rear window down in the cruiser yesterday, and it stuck on the way down, and the channel at the bottom of the window came off.
Just wondering the best way to get it back on the glass, any hints ? or do you have to remove the glass from the door then fit.
Thanks in advance.
Neil

Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 17:31

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 17:31
Yep, easiest thing to do is pull the glass out of the door.
This way you will be able to work on it more easily.
You will fine a Philips head screw under the door rubber at the top of the Quarter glass, there will be a couple(going by memory) 10mm bolts that hold the upright felt channel in place that goes up to the screw you have just taken out.
The rubber around the quarter window will come out with the glass.
Pull the quarter glass out, rubber and all, you will now be able to get the glass out through he top of the door.
I cleaned the bottom rubber the the glass sits in and use windscreen silicone to fix the glass to the bottom channel, some times the rubber shrinks a little, this lets the glass come out.
Mine happened while it was raining Cats & Dogs.

Once you have the glass out, you will be able to work on it.
It's not to hard of a job to do.
It's just an age thing, my old girl turns 21 in December.

AnswerID: 487107

Follow Up By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 16:19

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 16:19
Hi Jon
Thanks for the hints, a great help, all fixed and working fine.
Cheers
Neil
FollowupID: 762430

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 18:37

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 18:37
G'day Neil,
Glad to hear you got it sorted.
Another trick is to spray the felt channels with Silicone spray like Selleys Easy Glide or Graphite power.to help the glass slide. I do this at lest once a year, if not more if I've been in dusty conditions.
Also check where the little wheel runs in the bottom track, sometime people grease this thinking it helps, all it does is collect dust and makes it sticky.
Happy & Safe travels.

FollowupID: 762440

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 18:11

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 18:11
res.q.guy - Removal of window glass is a vital step, you can't operate properly inside the door cavity.
I've always found that the best technique is to remove the rubber from the channel, clean the glass, the rubber and the channel section thoroughly - then glue the rubber to the glass, then coat the channel with glue, and push the channel section over the rubber.
Needless to say, ensure the glass is supported by carpet, heavy cardboard or some other suitable medium that will prevent damage to the glass, when you're working on it.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 487114

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 20:09

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 20:09
Follow up for res.q.guy You need to mark the old rubber position on the glass before doing any cleaning. The channel piece that goes over the rubber is hi tensile so if there is any sign of rust on it you should replace it. I try to fit a new rubber as well and that way you dont have to glue anywhere and can use a wd40 type lubricant which makes it easier to slide on. Cheers,Bob.
FollowupID: 762372

Follow Up By: ian - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 21:47

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 21:47
I agree with Toyocruiser. replace the rubber, don't stick. keeps your options open
Ian
FollowupID: 762380

Sponsored Links