Airbags for land cruiser

Submitted: Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 19:46
ThreadID: 95965 Views:4975 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guy's I'm looking at getting air bags for my 100 series so 2questions we are in Perth and would like to know if there is a good place to get it done and also what type poly bags or Firestone we are towing a van that is 3ton + also a boat on the roof so any advice we would like to hear from any one . Thank's 'allen.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trev&Ness B - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 20:01

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 20:01
gday
Ive been looking for the same thing for my patrol. Ive been to ape suspension in wangarra as well as a few others, the price seems to be around the $400 installed. The air bags should only run to a max of 40psi, what that will lift as to tow ball preasure i havnt found a good answer. Over inflation can cause blow outs etc. They aso recomend that when you deflate you should leave about 5-10psi in to make sure you dont pinch the bag between the springs if you bottom out when driving.
I think there the way to go so you dont lose the ride comfort when not towing and also the car dosnt sit bum up if you go for stiffer springs. Ill be interested on how you go.
AnswerID: 487399

Follow Up By: Member - peter & dawn m (QLD) - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 20:23

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 20:23
i,v had air bags under [poly] are nissan patrol for years no problem towing horse floats ,caravan recently sold nissan & got a second hand 100 series it came with firestone bags much the same ,i personal opinion if you are going to tow air bags are the way to go and when no load yep keep at least 5 p,s,i i run 8 as are minimun never had a problem with either swampy
FollowupID: 762636

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 06:51

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 06:51
Don't pay inflated Australian prices - get them from USA for a fraction of the cost here.
Go to www.truckspring.com
I ordered firestone (coil-rite) rear airbags for 200 series - just $85 + freight (freight can be costly though).
Not that difficult to fit - arrived by courier about 6 or 7 days after ordering.
Best thing since sliced bread.

Truckspring is a reputable company with many Landcruiser owners (and others) buying suspension parts from them for many years.

Cheers
AnswerID: 487420

Reply By: WBS - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 10:54

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 10:54
At the risk of being accused of being repetitive. I'll give you my stock standard answer that I've given several times before on other forum.

I've had a set on my 80 Series Landcruiser for many years (Polyair airbags).

These airbags should only be used to raise the back of you vehicle to compensate for the load you have put in the back of your vehicle. That means to compensate for the load in the back of the vehicle.

Chronologically, you should pump the airbags up to the desired pressure before you load up, then load the back of your vehicle. If the rear wheel arch is the same measurement from the ground as when empty (level) you have the right air pressure. If the back is still lower, you need to unload and pump more air into the airbags. Once level you've achieved what the airbags are designed for. You should never pump them up after you've loaded your vehicle. That advice came from the instruction leaflet that came with my airbags. I am paraphrasing of course but air bags are not the same as self levelling suspension as found on Landrover Discovery 4's.

You will notice I've not mentioned whatever you are towing as that is another issue and not the design intention of the after market airbags. If you are a Weight Distribution Hitch devotee then that's what you'd use to level the setup once hitched up. I suppose you could measure the additional sag caused by hitching up your caravan/ camper trailer etc and pump the bags up to a higher pressure prior to hitching up, to compensate but the bags may not be able to cover that with their limits on how high a pressure you can pump in to them. They certainly are not a replacement for a Weight Distribution Hitch.

Remember, I am not an expert, I've just read the instructions that came with my airbags. I've also done some research to be better informed. Airbags are great and I'm happy I fitted them. They do their job really well.

WBS
AnswerID: 487439

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 16:20

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 16:20
Hi Allen. I have recently had air bags fitted to my Jackaroo as I can't use a WDH with my AL-KO off road van hitch. I had Polyair bags fitted by my 4WD service centre. I am very happy with the result. On the road the rig behaves in a very similar manner to the previous van with a WDH.
You may, of course, take Wamuranman's advice and buy from overseas but if too many people heed his advice he may ultimately need to change his name to Chinaman.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 487454

Sponsored Links