Where to start?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 16:17
ThreadID: 95976 Views:2873 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
After years of procrastinating, we have decided life is too short. So this time next year we are planning to sell up and take off with the kids (aged 8 & 5) and hit the road for however long it takes.
Now, where to start? I have been reading all the weird & wonderful adventures/articles on this site but was wondering if anyone can recommend a site/book/blog etc that provides detailed trip planning. I don't want to make the mistake of overlooking something important! I guess what I really would like is a kind of checklist other families have maybe used to assist with planning.
Our plan is to work on & off whilehome schooling the girls. We will be heading north from Brissie and at this stage plan to travel at least 18 months.
Another question I have is regarding work. I work in an admin/customer service role currently and hubby is a stevedore (groan!) but we are both willing to muck in where needed. I am wondering if it would be beneficial for him to get his HR licence to give him more work options? He does not have a trade but holds forklift, CN crane & gantry ticket & white card. What do others think?
I am sure I will have many more questions as time passes and apologise in advance if I ask something that has already been answered on the forum :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bazz - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 17:22

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 17:22
You need a HR/rigger /dogman tickets,plus experience, to drive a Franna(CN) on most construction /mine sites/ crane companies , except QLD roads where a Franna is considered a special vechile, its competitive in the crane industry to get work, a good place to sit dogman riggers is Bunbury WA , note: they are going back to a system of log book hours for above quals, so you need proof of experience before sitting courses.
AnswerID: 487457

Follow Up By: Lesley A - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 21:05

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 21:05
Thanks Bazz for the heads up re his CN ticket. He has got on the job doggers experience but has never needed a ticket for it as it has always been on wharf site. Maybe need to consider forking out for these before we take off.
FollowupID: 762717

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 19:49

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 19:49
Hello,

in the next 12 months do some homework.
Read books, magazines, videos, TV shows, internet about travelling Australia.
See what catches your eye and interests each of you.
Start planning places you want to go; Barrier Reef, Birdsville, Gulf, Kimberley, wherever.
Figure out the capabilities of your vehicle and what (if) you're towing.
Figure out what you need to live comfortably, how much money you'll have, what kind of budget you'll be living on.

We had friends, 2 young kids and they travelled and worked. At the end of it they weren't really impressed with the trip, but then, they didn't know what to look for except the iconic things, like Uluru. They raced from one spot to another then worked for a while and raced off somewhere else. They really should have just stayed home, I reckon, because they didn't give themselves a chance to soak up the experience. They had no desire to see what is in between the places and just set out to do a lap of Oz.

Maybe set your goal to head off in 2 years and spend time heading a bit further from home on little trips to see if you all enjoy the travel. Maybe go with friends and share their dreams too. If you've never been free camping give it a go.

A lot of options.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 487464

Follow Up By: Lesley A - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 21:03

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 21:03
Good advice Steve. I also believe the experience is in the journey, not the destination.
We have mapped out the places we don't want to miss as we go but are not beholden to a set itinerary. The more we talked about it, the more we realised that we could travel for years & still not see half of it!
We are planning to free camp as much as we can to save on costs & have owned a basic off road camper for the last 4 years so have done numerous smaller trips. We will be upgrading both car & camper for this trek & I am looking forward to going to the Caravan & Camping Expo next week.
I guess our main concern is the budget (isn't it always?) & what out of pocket expenses we need to be aware of. Hard to estimate when we have never done a trip of this magnitude before. Wish we had the luxury of not having to work!
FollowupID: 762716

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 22:40

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 22:40
My wife and I have always travelled a lot.
When the kids came along we kept heading off.
Now the kids are grown up and leading their own lives we are experiencing another stage of travel.
We're having a really good time and gettting into more remote areas now.
Still planning, still dreaming.

So many people find reasons not to get out and discover what's out there until it's too late. Mortgage, work, family will always keep you at home, if you let them.

My father in law died 6 weeks before he retired, at work. He had saved all his dreams for when he retired but didn't make it.
I've seen so many old blokes struggling with stuffed backs, knees and every other problem while they try to do the trip of their dreams after retirement.

We're doing it all now in case we don't get the chance later.
Besides, once you get out into the remote areas you get addicted to it. We keep getting drawn to the parts of Aus few people ever get to see. The massive views, the old pubs, ancient landscapes and the really genuine people are always flashing through my mind when I'm not out there.

It's a great country we live in and sharing it with special people is a great experience.

Have fun,
Steve
FollowupID: 762732

Reply By: toyotarules - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 21:33

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 21:33
Hi Lesley
Me and my wife and my 8 year old daughter are doing the some we are leaving October this year and can't wait now with the job looking google a web site called work about Australia we are members they have all sorts of jobs and all over the place. Les
AnswerID: 487470

Sponsored Links