Water Tank Surge

G'day!

I've nearly finished installing a water tank under the ute tray. I'm worried about the water surge when on uneven ground.

At one end of the tank there is a small air vent nipple. At the other end is the filler inlet and the small diameter outlet nipple.

I suppose I should put a hose on the vent with the end up high. How far up the hose would the surge come? I don't want to lose my water and I don't want a mess everywhere.

The tank is from the caravan which we bought second hand. It was not the original tank, too big for the little van and in a silly place. It's a 70 litre tank.

Thanks,
Laurie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:24

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:24
Water will not travel that far up, if you make a loop in the breather hose and have it about 2 foot up from the tank that should be fine..... don't forget to put a cheap inline fuel filter at the end not connected to the tank.

The other option is to get a one way valve that will let air in and out but will stop the water..... they cost about $10.

In our Landcruiser we don't even have a breather on our water tank.
AnswerID: 487571

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 13:04

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 13:04
Thanks olcoolone! That sounds like good info.

I'll definitely get a fuel filter for the vent hose and run it up, inside the canopy, tied to the loading board.

Thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 762869

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 14:50

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 14:50
Good suggestion olcoolone
Some of those inline filters have a one way valve built in. If it hasn't it probably won't matter much as the water loss will be minimal if the breather hose is a small diametre.

You want the air to come out when filling I would have thought.
The filter will double as a blocker for wasps trying to build a nest in the breather pipe as well.
Nothing worse than wasp nest smells in your drinking water either.

Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 762875

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 22:56

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 22:56
Thanks Bruce!

I'd thought of dust getting into the water but had discounted that as I didn't think it would amount to much. But wasps! Hadn't thought of that.

Other crawlies too, perhaps: mosquitoes come to mind.

Thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 762920

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 20:59

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 20:59
For my 70 litre water tank I fitted under the tray on my landcruiser I screwed two of those garden sprayer tubes with the sprayer on the end - screwed into the two breather holes on top of the tank and about 300mm long. Works well. Stops water leaking out when the vehicle is parked on an angle. Still allows air to escape when topping up the tank.

I also piped the inlet to the edge of the tray and put a gardena fitting with a on/off tap on it so I could click on the garden hose to fill up and then after disconnect switch off the connection so water does not leak out the filler point.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487635

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 23:02

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 23:02
Thanks Serendipity!

Sounds like what I'm doing a a regular solution. Great minds think alike, huh!

My set-up won't be sophisticated as yours but we're on the same page at least.

I've turned up a tapered bung on the wood lathe for a stopper on the filler hose. Hope the water surge doesn't push it out. I'll tie it to the frame, I think, just in case.

Thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 762923

Sponsored Links