To Dave : Frazer Coast 4 WD Club

Submitted: Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 07:07
ThreadID: 9603 Views:1568 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Dave,
I found that the oil cooler was covering about 1/3 of my radiator on the top passenger side, which I was told is the critical part for the initial cooling. As it was basically sitting in front of the air con condensor coil the cooler design airflow fins were at a angle effectively cutting off all air supply. Thus only 2/3 of it worked. I then cleaned out the oil cooler, mounted it vertically inside the passenger side inner guard with part of cooler inside the engine bay, cut the inlet side water hose to the Turbo and connected it inline with the Turbo. When the Viscous fan cuts in it throws air onto the cooler coil. And no I do not have a problem with stones. ( I do a lot of shooting , live in QLD, so as you know it has been hot), Also if something happened to the cooler it is easily bipassed. Hope this helps.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CHRIS - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 07:28

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 07:28
Dave,
I forgot to say that around town it now sits on a quarter on the temp gauge,where it used to sit on half and the first bit of boost on the flat the temp would rise to 3/4 and the fan would cut in. Going up theToowoomba Range it would go into the red. None of this happens now and I can go up the Range now on a hot day with the air on and it only rises to 3/4. The difference has been amazing. Makes you wonder, as the Turbo was fitted professionally by the previous owner in Townsville and he would have had the same problem. I have had the vehicle for 4 years and had to nurse it all this time before I found the problem. ( done up the head -- Radiator cleaned---- water pump---thermostat etc to no avail). In effect the cooler is an addittional radiator for the Turbo.
AnswerID: 42313

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 23:51

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 23:51
Okay, I've got the idea, but why did you go the inlet side rather than the outlet side of the turbo, was it just to make the turbo run cooler or do you believe that there is greater overall cooling benefit??
AnswerID: 42420

Follow Up By: CHRIS - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 06:05

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 06:05
Dave,
The idea was to make the Turbo run cooler. As to what degree the overall effect the cooler has on the system is probably debateable, but I suppose there has to be some benefit. All I know is that the system now runs cooler.
FollowupID: 305090

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:33

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:33
very good.

I've tracked my self down a milspec oil cooler and i'm now looking for a place to try it as a water cooler for the turbo., There ain't much room in there.

I've also put in an engine oil temp gauge, that should tell me a thing or two over the next few long drives.

AnswerID: 42765

Follow Up By: CHRIS - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:08

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:08
Dave,
What vehicle are you fitting the cooler to. As mine was a 60 series I got rid of the rubber spray inserts under the guards and mounted the cooler vertically to the front of the chassis rail , about 4 inches back from the radiator with two bolts and one to top of the inside guard. But make sure the top bolt is mounted to a rubber grommet to allow for movement between the chassis and body and to stop squeeks. Let me know how the mod works on your vehicle.
FollowupID: 305097

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:11

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:11
It's going on a troopy, I'll have a better climb around underneath today
FollowupID: 305098

Sponsored Links