Snow Trip

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 11:36
ThreadID: 96079 Views:1886 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could let us know which snow resorts in Victoria are the MOST family/beginner friendly??

I have heard that Hotham is good but $$, Buffalo is another one someone did suggest.

We will only go for 2 days as we cannot afford anymore time away from work, but 2 days is better than none.

Any suggestions to help us make the most of our 2 days would be welcomed and appreciated!!

PS it will be in the school holidays......:)

Annie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 12:11

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 12:11
Annie,

Depending on having snow Mt Baw Baw is beginner friendly mostly cross country but good first time down hill areas. Then Mt Buller and Mt Buffalo and on to Hotham, Falls Creek. Going the other way to sight seeing Lake Mountain and St Gwinear.

Depend on what you want to spend and how for you wish to travel as well as your time frame.

Baw Baw toboggan park

Victorian Snow Field Cams
AnswerID: 487846

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 12:12

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 12:12
sorry about the image.... :(
FollowupID: 763083

Follow Up By: Annie M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 10:52

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 10:52
Hey Tony,

No worries on the image those snow cams sure tell the story!!

Thanks Annie
FollowupID: 763138

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 17:35

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 17:35
Do you want mainly to do snow play, cross country or downhill?
AnswerID: 487866

Follow Up By: Annie M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 10:53

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 10:53
Never been to the snow Sigmund so I guess I am not really sure....at this stage we would just like the experience of "being " there!

Thanks Annie
FollowupID: 763139

Reply By: wollyw - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 21:33

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 21:33
annie
you can always come to mt buller for your 2 days. you can stay off the mountain which is cheaper and visit mt buller one day and mt stirling the other day. did you want to ski or just see and play in the snow. Mt Stirling is great as it not nearly as busy as mt buller. let me know if you want more info
AnswerID: 487894

Follow Up By: Annie M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 10:57

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 10:57
Thanks Wolly,

Does sound like a good option, I have found some accomodation @ Buller, which they say is only 2km from the Mt Buller Gate. Apparantly we can get a bus from there, I was told this might be the way to go as you have to pay for parking at the top!

The only thing is it would be really nice to have it actually snow where we stay, so we can wake up and look out the window to see it first thing?

Any suggestions?

Annie :)
FollowupID: 763140

Follow Up By: wollyw - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 22:04

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 22:04
annie great to see you are looking at buller and stirling, your accom is at least 3kms from the gate , i think some accom places try to out do other places by saying its closer. 2kmss to the gate puts you camping by the river. your comment about the bus is correct, but the bus is expensive if you are going for the day. you pay a fee at the gate then a FREE shuttle bus into the village from the carpark. There is a terrific shop at the toll gate where you can hire eeverything you need for your day in the snow. waking up in the snow is nice but you pay for that. i actually live 3kms from the toll gate which is fantastic. hope to see you here soon
FollowupID: 763206

Reply By: lbudgie - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 23:47

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 23:47
Hi Annie,
I have been to dinner plain about 5 times and and am booked in again in august.
The wife and i have 2 kids (2 &5) and we all love it.
its smaller than the usual resorts. We rent a house but there are hotel rooms if thats your thing. We like our own home becose they all have open fires, good for the marshmellows :)
we walk to the restarantsor pubs.
only 10km or so from hotham. last year my oldest did skinglessons there. you can catch a bus between hotham and dinner plain which run every hour from memeory but i prefer to drive.
by having our own house it has a full kitchen if that suits you.
AnswerID: 487902

Follow Up By: Annie M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 11:01

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 11:01
Gidday Ibudgie

Seems like good info too. Does it snow @ dinner plain?

We do like the idea of a house, we like our space and hate to be camped with other people unless we know them!

if we can find somewhere to stay that is NOT the resorts but still has snow I think that would be the answer!

I know in my questions I asked about resorts ....but I am now thinking it is probably not suitable for us!

Thanks Annie :)

FollowupID: 763142

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 11:44

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 11:44
Well that's a bit clearer.

Steer clear of Buller in the school holidays. Busy and expensive.

Good beginner resorts are Lake Mountain near Marysville and Mt Stirling near Mansfield. Neither have lift-serviced skiing. Cross-country, snow shoeing, toboggans and snow play.

Dinner Plain is a good spot to stay, also has a gentle slope with a tow for beginner skiing, x/c skiing trails, local hire and toboganning, and as posted, there's frequent buses to Hotham (which however is not IMO a very good beginner resort).Dinner Plain may however by light-on for snow in early July - it's hard to predict (last year's 2nd week of the Vic holidays got a great dump but that meant cold cloud snow and wind for 3 days running).

For an all-round resort my vote goes to Falls Ck. You can look for accommodation at Howman's Gap YMCA camp, Bogong Village or Mt Beauty (there is also lodge accomm. in the resort but you don't favour that).

That's my 2c worth after having taken my kids to them all over a couple of decades.
AnswerID: 487935

Follow Up By: Annie M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 11:52

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 11:52
Thanks Sigmund,

I guess I wasn't sure what we wanted as being new to the snow!
But after reading the responses and a bit of my own research online...I am thinking Mt Stirling or like could be the place for us to try!

I appreciate your 2c, especially as you have been such a regular visitor to these places! :)
(that is what is so wonderful about this forum, you can tap into alot of knowledge!)

Cheers Annie
FollowupID: 763144

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:00

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:00
Happy to help.

Stirling is small and friendly; my kids always had a great time up there.

If you can get accomm. in the valley it's not that far a drive (but the road is dirt and sometimes turns to mud; ensure the driver has rubber gloves to fit chains if nec. and gumboots or Blundstones are good to have too).

Kids run out of puff quickly with toboganning etc so take plenty of snacks and drinks. Look at hiring or buying waterproof overpants and jackets; gloves and beanies all round. Take sunblock and sun glasses too in case of a sunshiny day.

Hope you have a great time :-)
FollowupID: 763146

Follow Up By: Annie M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:07

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:07
Sorry to ask more qustions, but what valley do you mean?

Have you ever been to Hotham? It is another place I am considering.....still not sold though! :)

FollowupID: 763148

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:24

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:24
The valley that runs up to the entry gate to both Stirling and Buller. The gate is at Mirimbah. Sounds like the accomm. you mentioned will be along the road there.

A definite no to Hotham as an intro to snow with kids. It's a busy resort and the beginner lift-serviced ski runs are about as exposed to bad weather as you can find in Vic. Coming up from Harrietville to reach it (or to drive through to Dinner Plain) is demanding for anyone who hasn't driven in the snow before. But you can come up to DP from the south side via Omeo - much more civilised.

Someone posted about Baw Baw and that's also a good option for snow play etc. But it's a long drive from civilisation and there's some demanding steep sections of road on the way up. It's small and relatively quiet and a good place for kids. That said, the last time I was there the customer service was not something I'd like to experience again and have seen no reason to revise that opinion.
FollowupID: 763149

Follow Up By: Annie M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 13:45

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 13:45
Thanks for all your suggestions, very much appreciated. :)

I have been looking at Falls Creek and Mt Bogong. They seem great, found a couple of places with some lovely accomodation and not too $$.....might be the place to go.

Who knows we may well get hooked and go every year!!

Thanks Again Annie

FollowupID: 763161

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 14:07

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 14:07
You and the kids might well Annie!

It's lovely out there, and very diff. from elsewhere in this great land.

Thanks for the feedback.
FollowupID: 763164

Sponsored Links