Gasmate flat fold oven

Submitted: Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 11:37
ThreadID: 96111 Views:8461 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there I was wondering if anyone has used the gasmate flat fold oven that sits on the two burner stoves I have bought one and cannot find any info or reviews, we are going on a large trip to Ayers rock and most places are caravan parks so we cannot have fires for my camp oven so thought this may be a good alternative can anyone advise if they have used one and their thoughts

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Charlie B2 - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 13:05

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 13:05
Hi Danielle,

I'd probably ask why you feel you need something other than the camp oven? Unless you've got one of those humungous Furphys that feed a mustering camp and need three fires! :-)

They work pretty well on top of the stove, although it is fair to say they won't necessarily brown the top of a cake, or loaf of bread. With a trivet inside the camp oven to lift it off the hot base of the oven and a cake pan or a handle-less pot on top of that with your subject tucker in it, you'll be amazed at what you can produce. We get the cake tin/pot out with multi-grips or vice-grips.

Just don't crank the burner up to full chat before the oven has warmed up, or you'll probably have bits of cast iron covered with the remains of your culinary masterpiece all over the ground!

Why not give it a burl before you spend money on one of those other ovens? - there isn't that much that can go wrong.

The other benefit is that cast iron seems to hold a much more even heat than anything I've come across that's made out of sheet metal.

Regards,

Charlie
AnswerID: 487949

Follow Up By: Danielle h - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 14:13

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 14:13
Thanks for that (had no idea you could use the camp oven on the stoves) might take it now

thanks again for your advice
FollowupID: 763166

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 14:03

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 14:03
Hi, We have one that fits on a single burner stove but have seen the ones for 2 burner stoves. We use it on one of the cheap cartridge stoves. Works well. Folds flat for easy storage. Bake our own bread but have to get a tin to suit or else use a round sponge tin & make a cottage loaf. Does not brown really well on top & have to watch for burning on the bottom i.e. use as high a shelf as possible. Make sure that it is well clipped together as panels can warp with the heat & cause problems. We found with much use the panels could be harder to clip together. Have used it for bread, cakes, small chicken & roast meat. Bill
AnswerID: 487954

Follow Up By: Danielle h - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 14:14

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 14:14
Thanks Bill,

might take the cast iron camp oven just in case, but will try a small roast in it this weekend before the trip and just see how it goes.

thanks for your reply
danielle
FollowupID: 763167

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 21:02

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 21:02
We use the Coleman Folding Oven for baking cakes etc.

Here is a U Tube presentation for the Coleman Oven

Enjoy your cake!

Rob
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487980

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)