Rated shackles - what are they for?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 15:58
ThreadID: 9614 Views:2353 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The recommended minimum basic recovery kit is usually a snatch strap and two rated shackles. I've carried rated shackles around for years and used them occasionally to join a Tirfor, tree trunk protector or winch extension strap etc. So yes they are very useful with this other equipment in non-snatching operations. But I have NEVER used them anywhere within cooee of the snatch strap and can't imagine that anyone ever should, especially not to join snatch straps together. Not really keen on having one of these little suckers slinging at me at a million metres per second if something goes twang.

Now sure, some people might not have hooks or tow bar tongue on their vehicle to connect a snatch strap to, but even still I think it would be dodgy to use a shackle in any snatching operation.

So to my question. Is the reason why carrying rated shackles is recommended as part of a minimum kit is because when you get stuck somewhere, you can say to the dude with the winch, "Oh no, use my shackles." Or is there some other reason that just hasn't dawned on me.

MikeyS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MikeyS - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 16:17

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 16:17
Come to think of it, I did see some "fur lined" rated shackles somewhere. Maybe they would be useful with a snatch strap. Hmmm, better not go there.
AnswerID: 42369

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 16:21

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 16:21
Hi Mikey
Here is an interested article on your question of Shackles
link text
Regards Raywanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
AnswerID: 42370

Follow Up By: Rob H - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 17:10

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 17:10
Thanks for the link - an interesting article
FollowupID: 304822

Follow Up By: MikeyS - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 21:13

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 21:13
Yes, thanks Ray. Very interesting reading. Seeing those shackles tested to destruction certainly clenched up one of my muscles down below.

MikeyS
FollowupID: 304848

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 19:36

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 19:36
Hi Mikey:

On the matter of joining snatch straps ...
I have not heard of joining them with a shackle, for the very reasons you mention (coming at you at a million miles per second)...).

I have joined snatch straps with (1) a rolled up [Sunday] newspaper, (2) a rolled up jumper and (3) a hessian bag that I carry in my truck. These have all held. All snatches have been in sandy conditions. Shackles are definitel a NO GO.

My shackles serve to attach to the length of rated chain that I have put onto my recovery points which forms an A frame for winching me out of the poo. The shackle is able to travel along the cahin a little. Same chain serves as a "stirrup" for front end lifting using a high lift jack. This has not been tried in a real recovery situation as yet, but I know it works.

JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 42389

Reply By: roscoe - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 01:13

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 01:13
I have closed loop recovery points on my LandCruiser, so shackles are the only way to attach them for a recovery procedure. Some vehicles have hooks attached for this purpose.LandCruisers don't. I agree that snatch straps should not be joined by shackles.

Roscoe.
AnswerID: 42428

Sponsored Links