Kimberley Karavan on the Holland Track/Woodlines

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 09:51
ThreadID: 96146 Views:2927 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to do the Holland track to Coolgardie, returning to Hyden via the Woodines in September. I am in the planning stages now and understand that I will need to check road conditions closer to departure.

I have a 76 seriers landcruiser towing an off road Kimberley Karavan camper (same width as the 76 series).

I was wondering how "scratchy" this track is. Does anyone out there have any recent experience?

Thanks Brad H
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:58

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:58
Hi Brad,

I can't comment on the track conditions but why not apply some protective film (3M or similar) to your TLC and KK?

I did this many years ago to my #80 and K/Kamper and it worked a treat: upon returning home I simply removed the film and the underlying paintwork was as good as new.

Cheers,
DickyBeach
AnswerID: 488071

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:29

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:29
While it was many years ago (Oct 2004) that I took my Windsor Rapid (13"6') down the Holland Track, it was something I would never do again.

Most of the track is fine, but when you get to the wooded section towards the eastern end, the snaking around trees is too tight and the van was skull dragged around them. No amount of backing and turning could get them around - disconnecting would have been the only way to get thru. Even then, due to the height and the way the branches overhang, the top of the van was constantly hammered (this trip was wriiten up in the WA Outdoors magazine at the time).

Total damage was a roll-out awing ripped off, a broken window (puntured by branch), a branch thru the wall, all side indicators/clips/plugs scrapped off and many deep scratches into the siding. Both sides of the van were replaced, along with the awing (~$10K).

Besides, in a few sections it becomes a single lane track and if you meet someone coming the other way, you cannot back a van up. Luckily for us, the others we met did not have trailers and could back up for us in those sections.

No - I wouldn't recommend it!

Cheers

Captain

PS. Not much difference in my old small Windsor Rapid and a KK in overall length and travelling height.
AnswerID: 488073

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 08:58

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 08:58
and a very good write up in mag that had alot of potential but unfortunatly didnt last long it was too
FollowupID: 763466

Reply By: ricochet - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:29

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:29
KK will be fine. it would only be if you meet oncoming vehicles in a c few places you might have to sueezw into the scrub.
Otherwise a great trip.
AnswerID: 488074

Reply By: Member - Brad H (WA) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:15

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:15
Thanks Guys,
Hopefully it isn't as bad as when Captain did it. Has anyone done it recently with a Kimberley Karavan or a camper trailer?

Thanks Brad H
AnswerID: 488158

Reply By: redgp - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:49

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:49
We did the holland track from Broomhill to Coolgardie, Easter school holidays 2012 (just gone).
We towed our Camprite trailer with a 75 Cruiser. No problems at all. A few branches "turned in" the rear view mirrors in on the Cruiser and there was a few deep (dry) bog scars to traverse (most had go arounds) but we had no worries (or damage)
Great track, diverse countryside, fantastic camping spots. We took one day Broomhill to Hyden and four days Hyden to Coolgardie.

Recomend.
Steve and Carol.
AnswerID: 488160

Reply By: rocco2010 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:18

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:18
Gidday

I was on the Holland Track in October 2010 and while I am not much more than a novice it does not seem particularly challenging from a 4WD point of view ... although there is plenty of evidence that it would be a real problem after rain.
But as the Captain says, it does wind around a lot with very few straight stretches and there are some sharp turns where diversions have been made around mud holes.
A member of our party had an Ultimate and had no problems although he unhitched for the track intoThursday Rock where there were a couple of bad washouts at that time. I don't doubt he could have go through but for sake of convenience he unhooked.
As for the scratches, well I reckon you are best to presume there will be branches that will scratch your crusier and kimberley.
If you go and don't get a scratch or three well good luck, but if you expect to get off scot free you will probably be disappointed.
Perhaps you could think of bush pinstripes as a badge of honour!
I can recall quite a lot of narrow sections with overhanging branches and several areas that had been burnt in recent years and the mallee regrowth was up to knee high right along the edge of the track. After 18 months it is probably higher and branching out onto the track.
It is a great drive and great country. If you decide to go I hope you enjoy it.

Cheesr Rocco

AnswerID: 488164

Reply By: Member - Brad H (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 07:37

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 07:37
Thanks everyone,
It was great to get some advice from recent experience as conditions do change. If other campers have made it recently, we should as well , so we will give it a go.

I guess we need a bit of bush pinstriping or we may be accused of just having a very big and expensive shopping trolley!

Thanks again

Brad
AnswerID: 488241

Sponsored Links