3 Point Turn In Jackaroo In 4wd

Submitted: Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 16:47
ThreadID: 9615 Views:2253 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I used ot own a Jeep and had no trouble turning in 4wd. The Jackaroo is a different story - I am told it is the different turning speed of the wheels while they are locked causing them to lock up. Is it normal?
It worries me - What happens if I get into a "sticky" position and need a sharp turn to get out of it?
So far I have resorted to disengaging 4wd each time that has happened, fortunately 4wd has not been critical.
Any comments or thoughts?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 18:32

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 18:32
VWR

Am I correct in assuming you don't have diff locks fitted?

If that's the case it would make no difference, as each wheel is still free to rotate at a different speed relative to the other on the same axle.
Apart from the main job of transferring the drive through a 90 degree angle from the tail shaft, that's the other function of the diff, regardless of whether it's a 4WD or a Roller.

Again I am assuming we are only talking about engaging 4WD on a loose surface.
Consider the hypothetical case where you have both passenger side wheels in mud/slush and both driver's side wheels on bitumen. Without diff locks you will have a tad of trouble getting to the pub before closing.

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 42381

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 18:34

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 18:34
P.S.

I'm also assuming the Jack doesn't have traction control, which would overcome the pub problem.

:-DFidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 304835

Reply By: Willykj - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 19:24

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 19:24
Hi VWR,

I have a Jackaroo (no diff locks) & have no problem turning sharply when in 4WD.

The only thing I have noticed is that if I am in low range the turning circle is not as great.

Willy
AnswerID: 42384

Reply By: Jimmy - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 19:35

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 19:35
I have just bought a patrol and noticed the same thing. I have been told it is the LSD in the front diff. Maybe you have no diff locks but you might have an LSD in the front
AnswerID: 42388

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 20:08

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 20:08
Good point Jimmy, but shouldn't a LSD only come into play much the same as Traction Control i.e. when you get slip to one wheel ??Fidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 304840

Follow Up By: stillthinkinaboutit - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 21:03

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 21:03
No LSD in front diff of a patrol, they are only fitted to rear diff.
FollowupID: 304845

Follow Up By: Jimmy - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 22:49

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 22:49
Not standard in the front
Buggered if I know Ross, but if you are turning one wheel is moving faster than the other, so would appear to be slipping as far as the diff is concerned. I havent had the patrol very long and the only chance I have had to play with the little stick was on the grass verge. I would have thought the grass would give enough slipage to prevent any wind up, but the front wheels were still ripping up the grass on full lock and the steering became very tight to the point where the car was starting to stall at idle. The tension dissipated when driven straight ahead.

Don't pay to much attention to me I only know enough to get myself in trouble or at lrast i think I do :)

Jim
FollowupID: 304854

Reply By: markaroo - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 20:44

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 20:44
Hello all
I have a 99 Jackaroo too.It's noticably tighter to turn in 4wd but i have never had to take it out of 4wd to turn hard.
As far as I know they don't have a LSD in the front,only in the rear.
Just off the beaten trak abit.Mine is a Nov 99 72000km full dealer service history Jacka.I've had it now for 4 months- so far rattle in right front ,suspect strut,had planned to fit lift kit with new front Koni's.Trans selector switch faulty (isuzu part $650.comparison BMW part $97).And fuel pump failing to deliver fuel (Isuzu part $1002.comparison BMW part $297) Is this normal for currant shape Jacka's?
I love driving the car and the way it looks, But am quickly getting browned off with it.
Markaro

ps. had 84 turbo diesel Jacka.was more reliable.
AnswerID: 42398

Reply By: Clarry - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 21:07

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 21:07
Yep.... I have the 99 TD SE Jack and it hates sharp turns in low AWD..... seems likes it will blow a hernia. I usually back off a bit a demand less turn.... have not been in a position where I've had to force the issue but it certainly exceeds the car's comfort zone."This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 42405

Reply By: VWR - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:13

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:13
Thanks for the comments people. Only problem is I get this in ordinary 4wd. not necessarily in low range. Given it has been noticable when I have been trying to do three point turns on bush tracks in high range 4x4 perhaps the wheels cannot "slip" on the surface because the surface is too good. I tried it on bitument once as a test and that is a definite no no.
I will just have to make sure I do not have to turn sharply when in difficulty.
The darn thing whines when travelling at any speed above 10k on a normal dirt road also - Dealer tells me not to worry about it. Has been doing it since new and it has now done 130,000 so I guess I could forget it. (Kids rightly tell me it is like sitting in an aircraft - the noise) when in 4x4 and the windows are up - and that of course is necessary in a Jackaroo if you want to keep the dust out.
AnswerID: 42648

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 15:48

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 15:48
My 98 jack also has a slight 'wind up' when turning tight in 4 wheel drive, but i have never found it a problem, yeah a low range u turn takes a few goes but if it is slippery enough then the tyres will slip a bit and it's not so bad, i think the locked torque spread at the trans case has a lot to do with it.
With the whine, the gearboxes in 98 onwards jacks were updated and have since suffered from various whines due to bad shimming and clearance set up on the gear shafts, lots have had the box pulled and rebuilt under warranty, many others have had a sound deadening pad fitted in the tunnel above the box also done under warranty. It doesent seem to have affected the strength of the geartrain, just an annoying whine. Hit em up for the sound pad for nix at least, especially if you had complained of the whine before the warranty expired. CheersMoo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 42678

Reply By: WhisperingJack - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 13:44

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 13:44
Hey Markaroo,I've only recently got my Jacka,same yr and k's.No rattles ,but had teh transmission selector switch go too,lucky it was covered under warranty!Quite dear$700 fitted/supplied so the dealer was up for that.Wonder if it's a problem with them or just by chance we both had the same problem.I have noticed that when in 4WD the steering is different,but no real drama's,after having owned a VT SS Commodore wagon,the Jacka is completely different in everyway,I love it though and have just enjoyed my first summer hols where it has performed beautifully.
Go Jackaroo!

Tim,
AnswerID: 43106

Sponsored Links