breathing machines

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 19:51
ThreadID: 96159 Views:1885 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
have read some time back .about these machines being used of a night,i cannot remember what they are called,would like to know details of them and how they are used, what is the illness people suffer from and what are the symptoms that are diagnosed so that one of these machines would be needed thanks for future replies ,barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:07

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:07
Sleep Apena is what you are after. Use a doctor before you worry about the machine.

AnswerID: 488114

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:08

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:08
Fingers. should read Apnea
FollowupID: 763318

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:28

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:28
Generally for people who stop breathing when they are asleep! Try the ResMed web site!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488117

Reply By: Big A - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:37

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:37
The machine is a small medical compressor called a CPAP machine. CPAP is Continuous Positive Airways Pressure.

Look also at the American site More there than you ever wanted to know.

There has been discussion on the Caravaners Forum about this.

Good luck with your investigations.

AnswerID: 488121

Reply By: Holden4th - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:41

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:41
They are call CPAP machines and there is a lot of info on the web about them.

These machines are used for more than sleep apnoea (correct classical spelling) They tend to be bulky and usually require 240 volt power supply though I am sure that there will be a traveling version.

Try this site

AnswerID: 488124

Follow Up By: cobra - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 22:25

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 22:25
All the advice you have read so far is good info, but the best piece of advice given here is "see your doctor first".
If you are suffering from sleep aponea, your doctor will send you to have a sleep study and then the results will be sent to your nominated sleep specialist.

He/she will lay out your options from there.
Should you end up using a CPAP machine, it will run on voltages from 100-240 volts. The machine is about the size of a clock radio.

I run an extension lead from a 600w inverter in the patrol and it's all good.

Good luck
FollowupID: 763332

Reply By: Member -Hilton Hillbillies - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:53

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 20:53
Hi Barry,

These machines are called CPAP machines and they are use for sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is a common disorder in which you have one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths while you sleep.

Breathing pauses can last from a few seconds to minutes. They often occur 5 to 30 times or more an hour. Typically, normal breathing then starts again, sometimes with a loud snort or choking sound.

Sleep apnea usually is a chronic (ongoing) condition that disrupts your sleep. You often move out of deep sleep and into light sleep when your breathing pauses or becomes shallow.

This results in poor sleep quality that makes you tired during the day. Sleep apnea is one of the leading causes of excessive daytime sleepiness.

Sleep apnea often goes undiagnosed. Doctors usually can't detect the condition during routine office visits. Also, there are no blood tests for the condition.

Most people who have sleep apnea don't know they have it because it only occurs during sleep. A family member and/or bed partner may first notie the signs of sleep apnea.

The most common type of sleep apnea is obstructive sleep apnea. This most often means that the airway has collapsed or is blocked during sleep. The blockage may cause shallow breathing or breathing pauses.

When you try to breathe, any air that squeezes past the blockage can cause loud snoring. Obstructive sleep apnea is more common in people who are overweight, but it can affect anyone.

If you think that you maybe suffering from this condition you should consult your doctor.
He may send you for a sleep study, during which this condition can be diagnosed.

I hope this info is useful


Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488127

Follow Up By: Member -Hilton Hillbillies - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 21:10

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 21:10
Sorry should have added that you can get CPAP machines that run on their own battery pack.
Mine runs on 240v at home or on a battery pack when we are traveling. If you need one that will run on a battery pack, you will need to make sure before you purchase a machine as some only run on 240v.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 763326

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 21:34

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 21:34
You will find more on Google if you search the spelling apnoea
AnswerID: 488128

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 21:53

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 21:53
Hi Barry

As others have said they are called CPAP. I've been using one for over 8 years. I take mine camping (tent) and run it through an inverter and have been doing this since day one. Current draw varies from machine to machine, but its less than a 12 volt fridge.

Nowadays some machines have a direct 12 volt feed in, to make life easier.

Some of my trips have been for 6 weeks other between 3 and 4. I've never had a mishap with the inverter or 240 volt and now couldn't sleep without it.


There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488130

Sponsored Links