A/T's or Muddies for less Punctures ??

Have been reading up here and there about mud tyres and A/T's in regards to punctures. They say your better to run an A/T as the tread pattern is closer so less chance of the tyre getting spiked by some thing then with a mud tyre as the tread pattern on the mud tyre leaves a lot bigger gap for damage to be done. Whats peoples thoughts on this ?? I imagine due to there more versatile use more people would be running A/T's ????...........Im just debating now wether to run muddies on my second set of steel rims or just fit some good quality A/T's to them.....Im still sticking to the grandtrecks for around town and freeway driving on the alloys as the grandtrecks are nice and quit for everyday use........There is also a few opinions that the A/Ts are actually better for grip on rocks and things as there is more tread pattern trying to grab hold to climb ??? Muddys are purely as described and that is for mud and nothing else. Probably not some thing i really would need if that is the case.Even roothy is running A/T's by the look of it or a very very mild muddy on milo ?? Also the muddie if using on sand will want to bury itself a lot more so more fuel usage as well ?? Cheers................
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 22:36

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 22:36
Hi Kimba10,

I've had muddies and ATs.

I like playing around with the Landcruiser in the State Forests and touring a lot.

I've had no more damage to the ATs than I had with the muddies. I try and keep the tyre pressures right for the conditions and that helps a lot.

In the local tracks I can get in the same places as I could with the muddies and touring I'm using a bit less fuel. The ATs aren't as noisy as the muddies.

I've got Dick Cepek FC-11s on at the moment. Only had them for about 6 weeks (5000 kms) and they've been excellent; very little noise, good road holding and grippy at 18 psi on the rock climbs at Ourimbah SF.

I hope that helps a bit,

Steve.
AnswerID: 488133

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 05:36

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 05:36
Hi Kimba

I've run both BFG ATs and MTs and Wrangler Kevlar MTRs.

My main type of 4Wding is desert driving, with some cross country work. Cross country work usually means high puncture risk from stakes hidden in spinifex. Yes there is more rubber on ATs between the tread blocks – also they have a squarer profile, exposing less of the sidewall to stakes than MTs.

My BFG MTs got more punctures than my ATs (similar construction).

On the other hand my MTR Kevlar Wranglers have more sidewall protection, despite having the sidewall exposed.

My future tyre buying will be BFG ATs for regular desert touring and Goodyear MTR Kevlar’s for cross country off road (Yes I run two sets).

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488139

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:16

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:16
actually I disagree about the squarer profile of muddies particularly the MTRs

I recently destroyed another couple of MTrs and replaced 2 of them with maxis at tyres

first thing you notice is how much straighter the maxix are. With MTRs it doesnt matter how much air you put in them they look a bit flat with the sidewalls very low to the ground even with 50psi.

even compared with BFG tyres side by side with a mate it was very noticable.

very good desighn for mud and rocks with those side biters but I suspect it is one of the reasons for the countless MTRs ive wrecked with every single one falling to stakes in the lower sidewall/crown

ive never had a puncture through the tread
FollowupID: 763761

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:18

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:18
oh and the theory of muddies burying themselves in sand is a phurphy

while theres sound theory behind it anecdotaly in practice with proper tyre pressures muddies will outperform ATs in sand or at least be the same
FollowupID: 763762

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 07:40

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 07:40
Kimba10

Drive defensively.
More so with 4x4 tyres, no matter what brand or pattern they run,
ie... avoid anything that can puncture. You have a steering wheel, use it to avoid all things that will puncture.
It's really not that hard.

Tyre pressure plays just as much an important role, in the prevention of punctures, as does avoiding rocks, stakes, broken glass ect.

There has been thousands of posts, on this forum about tyre pressures, and driving. I have made a few comments, feel free to look them up

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 488144

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 15:50

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 15:50
Whilst tread pattern has some impact on the risk of punctures it is the load rating of the tyre and therefore the strength of its construction that actually has a larger impact. So LT rated tyres regardless of tread design tend to offer higher protection against punctures but the following rules apply regardless

1. No such thing as a puncture proof tyre
2. Lower pressure and speed and drive to the terrain
3. Don't overdrive the vehicle. Spinning tyres means damaged tyres and track

We operate all over Australia and use both AT and LT rated tyres. I like LT more as I can run lower pressures, due to strength, at higher loads than an AT and that combination gives me more traction in all terrain

On the other hand we have used HT in the Kimberley and only plugged one whilst all around us people were puncturing tyres at a great rate. So? Nut behind the wheel has a lot to do with when and where a puncture happens

As well the use of a good quality tyre pressure and temperature monitoring system helps deal with the inevitable puncture before it takes a sidewall out

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 488182

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 16:38

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 16:38
Yeah Rob chasing that up at the moment. I only want to run the standard size on my 120 prado which is 265/65/17 without going out in the rain to check. I dont want to run a larer profile due to insurance issues (if I go to 70 profile im over the legal 15mm) so finding a LT is a bit harder but I havnt done that much searching yet till I decide which way to go in regards to MT or AT. Im leaning towards a mud due to running to sets of rims so I dont have to drive around on them in the city which will be 90% of the time and dont want to destroy them at such a large price...........
FollowupID: 763405

Follow Up By: RobAck - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 16:53

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 16:53
A couple of tyres we have a lot of experience with are; Goodyear Silent Armour in LT rating and yes it's a 75 profile but if you get the right width, slightly narrower than standard the overall rolling rate is close. Talk to your tyre store. The other is the Bridgestone either D694 or the new 697 in LT rating. Another pair of excellent all round touring tyres. Our vehicle are running all of the above and a couple of test tyres as well

From a personal perspective I run two sets of rims for the Prado. One set is on D694 and soon to be replaced with Silent Armour and the bush set is on Goodyear MTR with Kevlar which in my view is the best off road tyre I have used in around 15 years of outback travel. That's a big call I know but we are a tour operator and training company and I reckon we see all sorts of tyres on tours and all perform well or better to varying degrees. But my MTR's are just fantastic. They allow me to carry the capacity we need and we regularly tow an Ultimate on a lot of tours and so far they have taken a pounding with no worries. I am sure others will have similar experiences with different tyres but I am simply offering my view based on many years of touring and off road travel

Regards

RobA
FollowupID: 763408

Reply By: Kevin P - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 22:33

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 22:33
In the Pilbara Exploration Surveying we use V Steels from Bridgestone. Skinnys & Rarely get punchers
AnswerID: 488598

Sponsored Links