Do you know your limitations?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:02
ThreadID: 96167 Views:2720 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Folks

Hopefully this post will spur you to "THINK" about your personal limitations.

Sadly another person has died in the wilds of Western Australia.

A 37 year old woman has fallen to her death at the magnificent Mitchell Falls in the Kimberley.

Safe travels :
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:45

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:45
Death is a hazard of living and accidents can occur no matter how well prepared we think we are. As sad as any death or serious injury is, sitting at home worrying about our limitations or the endless possibilities that might befall us - or our kids - is no way to live a life. Hopefully this woman died doing what she loved. I'm sure our sympathies go out to her family and friends as they do in all such tragedies.
AnswerID: 488159

Follow Up By: redgp - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:55

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:55
X 2 Bazookas reply,

When we were at those falls I remember thinking how likely it was that, given the number of visitors and the freedom to climb anywhere you want for that great picture, someone is going to fall.

Our sympathies go out to her family and those people there to witness such a horrible thing.

Steve and Carol
FollowupID: 763364

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:35

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:35

Even people who know their limitations can come to grief and what might appear to be dangerous and stupid to one may not be to another.

There are many factors to why something happened and simple easy everyday low risk tasks can soon turn bad.

If you don't live out side your comfort zone on occasions life become mundane and boring.... but do it sensibly.

FollowupID: 763367

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:59

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:59
Yes , we agree,with you both, I can't see a way you can make it safer with the amount of water that goes over there. You might step on a ledge that was perfectly safe until now, you may get killed on the roads. May be the tourism people could do more after the wet season with a safe viewing plat form. If.?.......Take care & safe travels. Bye for now. Ma.
FollowupID: 763419

Follow Up By: Off-track - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 19:58

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 19:58
And again for me.

I think a lot of people forget that nobody gets out of here alive.
FollowupID: 763433

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:52

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:52
Hi Joe,
That is so sad. How did it happen?
You don't always know your limitations.
When I was young I'd climb anything, then one day at about 19 I went up in a glass lift on the outside of a building. Vertigo hit & I had to hit the floor & close my eyes. I asked if there were stairs & could she let me out.
She had no idea what was wrong & kept going, I had to crawl out of that lift when we got to where we could get out.
It frightened the life out of me.
I explained to Hubby & he helped me from then on.

Hubby used to work out on Windmill tails but now he is older, he too gets Vertigo. Doesn't happen to all people.
lLuckily he got the first attack on a light house thank heavens for the cement wall because he wanted to jump .
We got to the Magnificent Mitchell Falls last year. The rocks are very slippery when crossing.
The pressure of the water can be strong . Knowing I had this problem I knew to crosswell up from the edge . Like us ,you don't know you have it until it happens . I would advise anyone crossing the River to take a good strong stick for support if you start to lose balance. If you start to feel strange tell someone & they can help you, it's best to put your hands on their shoulders & watch the center of their backs. I don't know what happened but I thought it might have played a part.When I was near the edge when we approached the top the falls I crawled! Should have taken my Knee pads! People thought I was an idiot. Maybe! but there was a method in my madness! Those rocks are slippery.
Don't be put off, this is a beautiful place.
Take care, safe travels .Bye for now .Ma.
AnswerID: 488161

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 14:38

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 14:38
Hi there Ma, yeah Im the same (only 44) I use to climb anything in sight, drag a plank up onto the shed roof then drag my scooter up and ride back down again, run around on roof tops along gutter edge, NOW bloodyhell I get so annoyed with myself as now I hate even climbing onto our single level roof to check tiles or what ever. I use to put lights on the roor, not any more, I use to skate around on my butt and wear a hole through my trackies. I wont stand too close to a balcony edge at any height. Lifts are fine as long as I cant see anything. I have been up alight house when we did the great ocean road, couldnt wait to get back inside away from the railing around the edge. Really annoys me and I dont know why im so frieghtened by it ??? Never had a fall, never broken any bones from climbing trees etc so have no idea and im so wary of our 4 year old its not funny, but I dont want to be over protective and not let her have fun because of my fear of height.....But I dont get vertigo thank goodness but my mate does, But he can get it at any time and has no fear of heights. He use to climb all over the roof top at my work (no longer works there) and he would stand there just looking out to check things out where I would be hanging onto anything in sight and certainly would be no where near the edge like he would ?? Strange how it affects people differently........................Steve
FollowupID: 763383

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 14:50

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 14:50
G'day Folks

I guess we all have limitations and sadly some individuals find their limitation tragically. I am not saying you should worry and stay at home, never travelling or wanering around in the great outdoors.

Just be aware of your situation, sadly some people who venture to the scenic/iconic sites in the Kimberley and the Pilbara, come undone and then its left to other people to make sense of it all and tidy up.

I can't say the lady was doing anything that can be taken as being wrong or out right dangerous, she just happens to now become a statistic and if there are more statistics compiled for the Kimberley or the Pilbara at there respective iconic sites will be controlled or simply shut down ~ to everyone.

There is an unfolding story happening in the Pilbara (Panawonica region) as we speak, a young bloke has gone missing in the wilderness.

He was out quad bike riding in the midst of some fairly ordinary weather, he was wearing all the right gear ~ thongs ~ shorts and a T shirt.

Searchers have located the quad bike, by air, but he is now testing his limitations ~ apparently !!

The weather outlook for the region is for more severe conditions.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 763390

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:35

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:35
Yes, Kimba 10. It was the Cape Otway lighthouse.
We live near the G.O. Road.. Then he tried the Glaucester tree in W.A. Same thing. Never before other than at the lighthouse

Joe, we don't get your news & knew nothing of these happenings.
Big Merton Falls is another spot where it's a long drop. No, we don't stay home wrapped in cotton wool . Mitchell falls was a big effort for me. I knew it would be with my Asthma & fear of heights. I wanted to see them so badly & there was a place I had to rest & consider going any further, turns out they were just around the corner.
Hubby usually goes on while I rest & tells me if he thinks I can do it.or not.
Of course our condolences go out to those involved, family & friends. I don't know where she fell. It would've been dreadful .
An absolute tragedy which couldn't be forseen.

We don't know of what has happened with this bike bloke but without knowing the circumstances with this bloke it does sound like he has been very foolish.
We've seen the weather Maps & wonder how people on the Canning S. R are going?
Take care, safe travels Ma.
FollowupID: 763417

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 13:45

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 13:45
Back again Joe,
I've just found the news Item.
The article says that it was Big Merton Falls, this is where I hesitated., & hubby went on.
He came back & said Mitchell Falls were just around the corner & I kept away from the edge.
The husband saw it happen. Our thoughts are with him, it is slippery when wet.
Bye for now. Ma.
FollowupID: 763494

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:37

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:37
A little dated but for those who missed it:
68 yr old Aussie woman conquers Everest
AnswerID: 488191

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:25

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:25
my immediate thought was and still is suicide

they dont report suicides as such

it only had to be reported due to its location
AnswerID: 488219

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:57

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:57
It's always sad to approach life with too many limitations....

If you reckon you can... give it a go.

Sympathies to the family though.
AnswerID: 488225

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 01:01

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 01:01
G'day All

Just a quick note on the missing quad bike rider, in the Panawonica region of the Pilbara.

Apparently he was found safe, sitting on a hill top waiting to be picked up.

His reason for being out there ~ he had a few ales and went riding ~ didn't check the fuel level before taking off !!

You would have to think this young bloke has now fully tested the Rescuers and the State Troopers "limitations"?

Safe travels
FollowupID: 763453

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:09

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:09
Hi Joe.
Thanks for letting us Know.
I'm lost for words which I can say without being rude.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
AnswerID: 488254

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:45

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:45
G'day Ma
Yes indeed one could say some things about this particular scenario and the outcome, but one can only guess that we know our limitations.
Safe travels
FollowupID: 763476

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:30

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:30
More often than not our own mind is our greatest personal imitation.

AnswerID: 488256

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:31

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:31
Oh, for an edit button...”More often than not our own mind is our greatest personal limitation.”

FollowupID: 763475

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:57

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:57
G'day The Landy

You are correct to a large degree, but using ones brain and assessing the situation and weighing up the worst case scenarios, before making the move that might just change or end your life, only takes a split second to do.

Safe travels
FollowupID: 763477

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:32

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:32
Grog & other drugs delude the brain. I drink Alcohol & am not against it.
But it does.
Also you wouldn't believe how many times I've seen some acquaintances jump in the car with out checking the tank & they've been sober! Next thing there's a phone call for help. Just not thinking!
Once again. Take care, safe travels.
Bye for now Ma.
FollowupID: 763481

Sponsored Links