Tarp or Gazebo for camping

Submitted: Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 20:37
ThreadID: 96190 Views:10216 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Been thinking about making the camping setup process easier and am starting to lean towards a gazebo over the traditional tarp set up. I've read the odd horror story on gazebos been blown apart or away in storms but I wonder if this is the cheaper models or if they weren't tied down correctly. Over time there are probably plenty of tarps blown away too.

I would be getting at least one or 2 optional side walls.

Would love to hear some feedback from anyone who has owned both.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:25

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:25
Hey Lazy

I have been using gazebos for my tour business for about ten years now and I reckon they are far better than tarps. BUT - once you put walls on the problems start when it gets windy ! With a tarp only, the wind blows straight through and apart from the flapping and noise you still have your tarp in the morning. The pressure on the side walls of a gazebo when it gets really windy is incredible and that's when the whole gazebo wants to be 2 k's from your campsite in the morning !

The original 4.5 mtr x 3.0 mtr "Quickshade" I have been using has lasted 10 years and I have also gone through about 6 of the cheaper brands in that time. I paid about $1600 for the original quickshade and about 3 to 400 each for the cheaper imports - you work it out.

Tip 1) Tie the gazebo down properly around the frame of the corners - not the material and if need be tie the pivot point of the scissor section down as well. Tip 2) If it gets really really windy - take off the sides and let the wind through !

Pegging the gazebo down through the holes on the legs is ok if there is absolutely NO WIND !

Hope this was helpful !

Cheers

Gazz

AnswerID: 488212

Follow Up By: Lazybugger - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:19

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:19
Thanks for the tips Gazz.
FollowupID: 763446

Follow Up By: Rod W - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 15:00

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 15:00
I'm with Gazz. I've had a Quickshade since 1998 paid $1,100. It has never presented any problems. As Gazz said side walls will make it lean a bit in strong winds. Rather than side walls you are better off to place an extra large tarp over the gazebo and tie it off on vehicle/s that are spaced further out or tied off on pegs.
FollowupID: 763498

Reply By: the_fitzroys - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 23:21

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 23:21
Hi Lazybugger,
We've just had this discussion with the 'young'uns'. We set up a Coleman Geosport Screenhouse in about 10 mins max. It's a geodesic dome so very strong and if you peg it down properly that sucker is going nowhere, no matter what. Packs down into a small bag, is screened and costs about $200. We can pull it down in 5 mins. If you're after easy, have a look at it.
Louise
AnswerID: 488230

Sponsored Links