Hilux dashboard sticky situation

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:18
ThreadID: 96233 Views:2077 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A plastic lug has broken off on the inside of our Hilux dashboard and needs to be stuck back on. The access is very tight and its just not possible to get a decent coating of araldite around the spot which needs to be glued. I've been told that CRC ADOS from NZ make a very good contact adhesive for plastics, but I haven't been able to find a source for this product in Australia.
I'd appreciate any suggestions on good contact adhesives or glues that might to the job, or any possible Australian source(s) for ADOS products.
Thanks
Poitr
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:44

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:44
The number one thing to do the job properly is to find out what plastic the dash part is made from.

There are many different types of plastics used and not one adhesive does it all.

Find the adhesive that will bond correctly to the plastic used and you will have a trouble free run.

You can use Araldite but the chances are it will not work in the long term...... there are many types of Araldite with some needing special primers and lighting to activate and set, the stuff you buy in the local Hardware shop is a very basic cheap form of Araldite.

There are more specific adhesives and bonding agents available, if you did use Araldite and it didn't last there is a good chance you will not get anything to work as the Araldite has caused an impurity to the bonding surfaces.

Loctite, 3M and Devcon are 3 of the top brands used in industry.
AnswerID: 488345

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:49

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:49
I use Loctite 406 (an extra strong superglue) for that sort of thing.
Usually get it from CBC Bearing or similar Loctite stockists - about $20 for a squirt container. Store it in the fridge and it will last a long time.
AnswerID: 488355

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:14

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:14
Poitr - Plastic lugs breaking off Hilux dashboards?? What happened to the unbreakable Toyotas they used to build, where nothing ever broke on them, even after 300,000kms?? This sound like a Mitsybitsy or a pizzy Nizzan?
I've noticed a tendency for Toyotas to become pretty cheap in their construction, and the missus' Camry is the worst Toyota I've ever owned for things breaking and falling off it.

The fridgy one is spot on. You need to ID the material to get good bond. The dash should have a raised stamp somewhere (you can probably only find it, after you remove the entire dash), that states the construction material.
Many dashboards are made from ABS resin, and I'm fairly sure the Hilux dash is made from it as well.
ABS resin is one of the worst to work with, and most bumper repair places use plastic welding and ABS welding rods, to join broken ABS components such as todays bumpers.
I've had numerous plastic components welded together by a local plastic bumper repair crowd (forklift dashboards, compressor cowlings), and they do a good job.

The hobby shops, who supply and constantly work with plastics in models are the "guns" on glues and solvents. It appears that PVC pipe glue works satisfactorily on ABS resin, but I've never tried it personally. PVC pipe glue is a mix of MEK and Acetone. However, you can buy an ABS glue called, SIMPLY GLUES Tetra ABS/PVC Cement.

Remember that these glues are pretty potent and you need excellent ventilation when working with them, and no possibility of any naked flame within a bulls roar of the open container.

Hobby/Models adhesives info - http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/simplyglues/gluesandAdhes.htm

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 488359

Follow Up By: poitr - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 20:21

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 20:21
Thanks everyone for the info. I'm just trying to find out what kind of plastic the Hilux dash is made from in order to use the most appropriate glue.

Ron, there's no issue with the strength of the Hilux dash, some dill was just ridiculously brutish with the coffee cup holder.

Cheers
Poitr
FollowupID: 763594

Reply By: Tim - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 20:50

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 20:50
As far as the glues go, and they may or may not make one suitable for this particular application but I have used sikaflex and it is just unbeatable. If they make a bonding agent which suits your plastics, you can;t go past them. We were using them in the construction of Queensland Rails' new locomotives.
Tim
AnswerID: 488412

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:58

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:58
Sikaflex make a wide range of superb adhesives, and they're priced accordingly, too.
Modern adhesives manufacturers have a wide range of superb products, and I note that the Boeing Dreamliner has no rivets holding the skin panels to the fuselage ribs - Boeing used adhesives!
I reckon I wouldn't mind a tube of that adhesive in the workshop!

I'd hazard a guess that the problem Tim will encounter with Sikaflax is that the minimum container size of their adhesives is the large tube size, that is designed to be applied with a hand-held gun.
I'm thinking that all Tim really needs is a 50ml or 100ml small tube size of adhesive.

I don't know about anyone else, but because of the relatively short life of adhesives (and sealants), which is generally about 12 mths - I find I'm constantly throwing out containers and tubes that haven't been fully used, because they went off.
I make a point of storing all my adhesives and sealants in the workshop fridge to extend their life.

It also pays to check the expiry date on containers of adhesive or sealants you purchase, as many stores are quite happy to sell you adhesives or sealants that are near their expiry date.

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 763615

Sponsored Links