van washing machines

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:02
ThreadID: 96236 Views:2152 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
We have finally managed to test the factory fitted Lemair washing machine over the weekend.
washes OK but does it use the water. emptied one of the tanks on the vam.
Been reading a number of threads about the $100 twin tub units being "carried"as an extra item and used outside of the van. set up like an outdoor appliance.
What are peoples thoughts and views?
We would like to get this right as SHMBO thinks the Lemair is not suitable for long trips and we will run outa water.
Two wash cycles and two showers and a little dishwashing and there goes 250 lit h2o.
And of course she is always right.

And we have looked at reusing some of the washing and shower water. this may give us four of everything.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GT Campers - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:55

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:55
How do you carry the waste water? Many caravanners I see simply drain thier waste water onto the ground (at boat ramps, in roadside rest areas and in bush camps) and it is absolutely disgusting
AnswerID: 488361

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 15:16

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 15:16
Hi GTC,

Grey waste water is not a problem in the quantities that most caravans have to dispose of. If everybody dropped it in the one place then it would become an issue.

Most caravan parks, especially those out west of in a droughty situation request that the grey water be dropped on the ground. It is not an issue.

Black water however is an entirely other matter and should be disposed of in the appropriate manner as required by councils or common sense which is, as I always say, not that common.

What do you do with your grey water when touring around this great country?.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 763566

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 21:56

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 21:56
My thoughts too Bruce, when we had a camper the water from dishes was thrown into the scrub and a hole was dug for the toilet.
Sharon
FollowupID: 763598

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:46

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:46
being a camper of the old-school 'tread lightly' philosophy, I plan/manage my travels so I do not have any grey water to dispose of - I am happy to wash my face and hands with a wipe from a face towel, carry a week or more's worth of clothing, and to do a wash and shower in the proper/responsible manner in a town or caravan park facility. Of course this usually occures with a food/bevvies/fuel restock. Dishwashing water is usually used to extinguish the fire

The thought of dumping 10 or 20L of shower and washing water straight onto the ground (except of course for the rare ocassion where it is invited) is repulsive! But I see it often.
FollowupID: 763687

Reply By: Priscilla G - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 13:56

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 13:56
Can you set the cycles manually.Can set to one rinse only & if you have plenty of buckets ,catch the water & use it again.How clean clothes are doesnt matter much when you are on holidays! Can also catch the shower water & use that
AnswerID: 488372

Follow Up By: Priscilla G - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:43

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:43
Forgot to add...I use wool mix to wash & unless we have water connected I don,t rinse at all.Saves water & time!
FollowupID: 763620

Reply By: P2D2 - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 17:56

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 17:56
95% of the time we use our Lemair washing machine for spinning only. We continually wash everday in a 20L screw top drum with Biozet Eco Smart liquid. Place the clothes in the 20L drum of water with Biozet and give a good shake. Get to next town find a tap, rinse the clothes and put the clean clothes back in the 20L drum with clean water. Stop for the day, tip clothes and water into Lemair and spin. Save spin water back into 20L drum for next days clothes. That way we never have a pile of dirty clothes. Sometimes stop at a park or wherever there is a tap and use the Lemair off the inverter. Biozet Eco Smart is the most environmentally friendly detergent and importantly does a fantastic job soaking. Importantly only needs rinsed once. Bio Zet Eco Smart is not exactly cheap but you don't use much. Available from Coles or Woolies and made in Japan.
AnswerID: 488394

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 21:59

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 21:59
We have a twin tub. I bought it because were a family of five. Its light and fits through the door.
AnswerID: 488417

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 13:23

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 13:23
love my little twin tub - uses about 20lts and can do a weeks wash - just start with the cleanest clothes first - keep catching the water and pour it back into the machine - I don't rinse unless I have oodles of water - travels in the shower and fill up using the hand held shower - bucket placed on the lower section of the step catches the draining water - no pump just gravity to drain
AnswerID: 488446

Follow Up By: Villatranquilla - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 13:26

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 13:26
PS - will save the shower water when water is scarce in the outback and use this for clothes washing
FollowupID: 763621

Sponsored Links