Patrol Shudder

Submitted: Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 23:04
ThreadID: 9625 Views:2177 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A Mechanic has told me the shudder I feel when moving off in first or second gear is due to the LSD working incorrectly. The cure could be as simple as changing the diff oil ( I have only had it a week ) or it may need a new diff.
What do you reckon the chances are that new oil will fix it and what would a new/rebuilt diff cost.. Also how much damage may already have been done if any.

What would you look for in the old oil to be able to tell.
A, That damage has occurred or
B, whether water or some other stuff has got in there.

The shudder only occurs when moving off in anything but a dead straight line and is worse the greater the turn.
Its a 1988 GQ LWB

cheers Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SupaMav - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:23

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:23
Its easy to tell if water is in the diff oil . . . it looks like caramel sauce and has roughly the same consistency. Also, if you drain the oil and there is any solid matter in what comes out, I guess that would not be a good sign.

I reckon you should drain it and replace the oil with some good stuff designed for LSDs. If it still doesn't help, get a diff shop to pull it down and sort it. These are pretty tough diffs, I had the rear LSD in my previous MK lapped and the preload wound back up and worked a treat. From memory the drive in/drive out damage was about $500 tho!
AnswerID: 42443

Reply By: Rowler - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:44

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:44
Hi Jimmy,
I get the shudder too in my 2002 gu when turning, normally slow in 2nd gear & then it goes as I accelerate.
I have had mine 3 weeks & I think that it did a bit of load carrying in the first year.
I will change the diff oil today & see if that helps.

PS the diff nut is tapered & will leak if not done up tight enough.

Cheers rowler (dave)
AnswerID: 42446

Follow Up By: Jimmy - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:45

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:45
Hey dave, did changing the oil help you?

i am unable to get the top bung out, so will leave it to the mechanic on monday

Wouldn't the GU still be under warranty?
Jim
FollowupID: 304963

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 11:40

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 11:40
Nissans are renown for this diff noise if the oil has been replaced by aftermarket type oil, not designed for that type of LSD.
Look in the manuel and buy what the book says, or get some genuine lube, and all your grindy shudders will go away.
The noise is from the wrong additives in the oil causing the clutch packs in the LSD to slip with a jerking motion.
It wont hurt the diff running for short periods, but i would change the oil quickly, before the clutch packs wear out.
AnswerID: 42466

Reply By: rolande- Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:14

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:14
Jim,
Change the diff oil with genuine diff oil from your local Nissan dealer, you will then know whether the fix is simple or more complicated.
Rolande
AnswerID: 42518

Reply By: Rowler - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 21:37

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 21:37
My friend (mechanic) let me down & was a no show on sat. so have not changed the diff oil yet, we were going to do a heap of stuff to the ute but he split from his wife during the week..... so I found out after waiting 2 hours at his workshop.

Cheers Rowler (dave)
AnswerID: 42610

Follow Up By: Member - Terry- Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:35

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:35
Nissan put in an additive when changing the diff oil, you don't put this additive in you get the shudder. Cost about $90.00 a tube
Cheers
Terry
FollowupID: 305007

Sponsored Links