Condensation in Camper Trailer

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 17:51
ThreadID: 96266 Views:3784 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Canvas designs of Byron (S/N 12405) tent mounted on my Camper Trailer.

While we have been away for the last 2 weeks, we would wake every morning to huge amounts of condensation on the inner roof of the tent (whether it was dry or raining outside). A real pain when you have to pack up and cover the mattress with a tarp so it doesn't get wet when you fold it all up!!

It was my 2x kids and my Wife and myself sleeping in the tent.

Is there any kind of ventilation that I can put in to stop this (without having to leave widows open at night?

Someone suggested cutting out holes in the walls near the highest point and sewing in mesh with a canvas flap over the top with an opening at the bottom (overlapping the mesh of course so rain doesn't come in.

Will this work, or do you have any other ideas??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 18:15

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 18:15
The easiest way is to fit a purpose made thermal blanket over the tent section.
It saves messing about with bulky tarps.

AnswerID: 488456

Reply By: Twinkles - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:19

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:19
The easiest way to prevent the condensation is to have a "fly" over the tent. A space between is good.
AnswerID: 488460

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:33

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:33
Hi Peter,

I don't have a solution to your problem but I would put to you the question "why is this occurring?".

My wife and I owned a CT for a few years in the early '00s and knocked up many enjoyable kms and months with it (a KK), and only once did we have a condensation problem: we were crossing the Nullarbor and after a bitterly cold night we woke to find heavy condensation, heavy enough to drip onto our faces.

Conclusion: Water vapour from our respiration (no entertaining exertion, dammit) together with a zipped-up-tight CT was the cause.
It only ever happened once, on a VERY cold night and the CT zipped up tight to try to retain some warmth.

Hopefully this "tip" may be of some use.

Cheers,
DickyBeach
AnswerID: 488464

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 20:13

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 20:13
This is where internal flaps on the side windows are very handy .
Just leave a corner open on both sides and condensation will be greatly reduced and you don't have to get up if it starts to rain. .My 1997 Camp'o'matic has these but I have noticed they must be an option and IMHO a very worthwhile one.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 488476

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 21:53

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 21:53
We used to have those problems with 5 of us in our CT, on cooler nights down at the coast
Problem was solved by putting a tarp over the roof of the CT and or staying inland!
Tarp over the roof is a good idea anyway as it means your roof stays dry on mornings when there is a fair bit of dew about.
AnswerID: 488494

Sponsored Links