Land Cruiser Troopy VDJ78R 2009 bearings maintenance

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 15:31
ThreadID: 96303 Views:9289 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G’day everyone.
I have Land Cruiser Troopy VDJ78R 2009 model. There is no workshop manual book for those vehicles. I wanted to grease/ service front and rear wheel bearings. I asked mate who works in Toyota workshop what is correct procedure and torque setting. I didn’t wanted to believe my ears…
Answer was: “most of 4WD drives around towns, so they don’t bother to touch it. But if some one really insists on this service, Toyota mechanic adjust torque by feel of his fingers…. everything is done by guessing.
Is there anyone who can help me to do a proper job?
I mean: Torque setting of bearings & adjustment and all other bolts torque setting.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 15:37

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 15:37
Hullo Danna
Suggest you have a gander at the LCOOL site
Free to join and full of knowledge and good advice from friendly guys who know their stuff
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 488627

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 15:49

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 15:49
Thanks Andrew.
I taught I’ve seen some website dedicated to Troopy owners, but I couldn’t find it. I hope they can help me.

FollowupID: 763784

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 17:10

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 17:10
A back me pardon it is actually Toyota 4WD owners...not only Troopy site...
FollowupID: 763788

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 17:34

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 17:34
Your experience with the honest Toyota mechanic is why I do my own servicing.

Get a Gregorys #520 - it covers the HDJ79 which ran until 2006 and everything is the same as your vehicle except for the engine and some of the electrics. As well as buying the manual, you can also go into Youtube and type in Landcruiser Wheel Bearings and you'll see how others do it. Videos by "lshobie" from Canada and "Terrain Tamer" are pretty good.

The wheel bearing procedure has been the same for rigid axle landcruisers for about 40 years.
AnswerID: 488635

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 18:20

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 18:20
Hi Phil G
Thank you for great help!
As I mentioned, the mechanic is my good mate, and he’s honest man.
There are things that he can’t disclose to everyone if he wants to keep his job with Toyota …I know that sad, but that is very common these days.
HooRoo Danna
FollowupID: 763793

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 18:51

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 18:51
An honest man working at a dealership, good to hear about the one and only.
Value him and his expertise.
FollowupID: 763798

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 21:12

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 21:12
Problem with wheel bearings is that they are sealed and maintenance free on many other 4wds but take a fair bit of time to service on the rigid axle Landcruisers. Problem is that the dealer charges you for that time and takes your money. Must say that my local Toyota dealers do actually service the bearings judging by what I've seen on mate's vehicles. Twice I've seen Landcruisers with 4wd not working after a service - they had put a free wheeling hub in incorrectly and it wouldn't lock! Twice I've seen the vehicles nearly lose control down the first steep hill!

Valve Clearances are another item they never seem to do but are happy to charge for it. And brake fluid seems to get missed too.

FollowupID: 763810

Reply By: splits - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 21:32

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 21:32
Dianna

That is not as bad as it sounds. In my younger (much younger} days I completed a motor mechanic apprenticeship and even at TAFE we adjusted wheel bearings by feel. It was the same at three Toyota plus a Ford and Holden dealer that I worked for. The factory specifications give a fairly wide tolerance so it is easy to get it right. It was even done by feel at a bus company that I worked for back in the 1970s.

I replaced the front bearings in my current car a couple of a couple of years ago and for the first time ever I used a torque wrench and followed the manual. I am retired now with plenty of time on my hands so I thought out of curiosity I would do it by the book. The end result was the same as I would have done by hand.

The main problems with wheel bearings come from the use of the wrong grease, water entry, overloading, changing wheel off sets and untrained people working without a workshop manual. The problem there is they often tighten up tapered roller bearings as though they were wheel nuts.

In all the dealers I worked for, wheel bearings were always dismantled and cleaned on major services. It was a waste of time though in about 99% of cases because they did not need it. One notable exception was a road construction company with a fleet of Landcruiser utes and Troopies. We did a lot of their servicing and often found water in the bearings.

When you are doing yours, take note of the grease recommended in the book. Chances are it will be a lithium based grease and not high temperature grease. HT is a clay based grease and does not resist water washout very well.Check the specifications on this Castrol linkhttp://www.castrol.com/castrol/multipleproductsection.do?categoryId=8000019&contentId=7000402 There is a lot more grease information on the net saying the same thing.
AnswerID: 488671

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 22:01

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 22:01
We have a VDJ79R 2008 and wheel bearings are supposed to be repacked at 80000k service as listed in the factory service handbook.

I would have thought the Troopy was the same?

Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488675

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 23:47

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 23:47
Hi Anthony
I don’t know, but our service book say to re-pack front & rear wheel bearings every 12months or 20.000Km. Problem is that there is no manual book for those Troopys. The books are printed only up to year 2006. So, if you want to service vehicle, you must find your self service man you can trust, but what you going to do, if you have breakdown in middle of nowhere?……Not very thoughtful from Toyota is it……
Cheers Danna
FollowupID: 763823

Sponsored Links