Why do people take chance ??

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 23:22
ThreadID: 96317 Views:4412 Replies:11 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived

While Im not saying the blokes an idiot or anything, thats not what Im saying, he was listening to the other people guiding him etc, its just when your on a trip like this do you really need to take these chances ?? I havnt been in these parts of the woods before but I presume there would have been another way around ???????.....................
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 23:41

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 23:41

Is this the norm for most outback travelling or are these people going overboard with trying to outdo each other ?? And write at the end you have a child standing on the dirt wall on the passengers side ?? Bit dangerous in my books ???.............
AnswerID: 488683

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 02:08

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 02:08
It's a little bit of both Kimba.

The Frenchmans Track is a great drive with some really challenging bits. It would have been interesting seeing them come up out the Pascoe.

That bit they're doing is the western side of the Wenlock and it's usually harder than it looks and there are no other options. Their tyres look a bit hard and towing camper trail;ers doesn't make it any easier.

They sound like they're having fun. At least they're getting out there and living the dream.

Steve
FollowupID: 763826

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:10

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:10
From the oringinal heading you should have videos of people smoking, drinking, taking drugs, riding a bike on the road, driving a car in Melbourne ect. These are all more of a risk taking than your videos.

Josh
FollowupID: 763833

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:59

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:59
Josh...I'd have to agree with you mate.

Obviously risks need to be assessed. You wouldn't have your kids in the car when doing this sort of stuff, and you wouldn't do it if travelling on your own.

But if people didn't take risks...Birdsville would never have got their mail, Colson would never know what was in the Simmo, and The Leylands would never have shown people that it is possible to drive across this great land.

I guess for some people (me included) whether or not to play another game of Bingo is not enough of an adrenalin rush.

Fab.
FollowupID: 763837

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:08

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:08
""You wouldn't have your kids in the car when doing this sort of stuff,"" they did in one of the clips. Now again Im not saying there stupid for doing so (may be safer in then out standing on the edge ??) but I was more talking of possible damage and the remote location I would imagine these people are in. I havnt been exactly where they are so I had no idea wether its some thing that needs to be done while on these trips or there is another way around as we are planning a trip next year and Im sure my prado wont be up to what some of these vehicles seem to be capable of. We will be doing it with a tour type company so I just come across these clips while doing some searching of different areas and I was a bit suprised that this may be some thing we may have to do along the way which I dont think my vehicle would handle. I dont have a winch and just a mild 50ml lift and mud tyres on steel rims anda cargo barrier but am getting a rear locker fitted as I dont have traction control or the like..........Thanks Fab
FollowupID: 763839

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 14:13

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 14:13
Fab

This post is just in case you are worring about your trip next year. If I am way off the mark then please excuse me.

With what you have done to the Prado and having others cars along the Prado will be fine. You may get a build up of mud on the front bumper and at Gunshot but providing you have the skills it will be fine. And if the company goes through there they will have the skills to guide you and help if you get stuck. But I would say that they will bypass Gunshot. The rest of the crossings are within your cars capabilities.

May I suggest that you add a snorkle and bung something in the boot to act as a water bra etc for the deeper creeks.

The scenery and swimming along the way is excellent. It's a nice drive. Don't sweat it. You will be fine.

I hope the comments in your thread do not deter you from experiencing one of the better drives for a 4WD in this great land. It's a damned long way back to do or look at something that you missed. Don't rush anything and if you do not want to do anything then say so. A fool is he who does something when his conscience says NO!

FollowupID: 763862

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:29

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:29
I can see where you're coming from Kimba. In all honesty, would I put my car through this? Not what I saw in the first clip....no way! That is a long way from nowhere and a tow would cost an arm and a leg. I doubt whether they walked the water crossing too (probably too deep to do so), but like you, not being familiar with the place, I'd aire on the side of caution.

Having said that, places I am familiar with, closer to home and when in a group...hell yeah. I'll give it a shot. And to be honest wit a seat belt on and these sorts of crawling speeds, the risk of personal injury would be pretty low. Vehicle damage would be the bulk of the risk. Just got to look at those rock crawler competition types. Lots of mechanical failures, but I doubt it's ever resulted in a death. I could be wrong though (my wife always says I am).

Thanks for posting the link Kimba.

PJR...Prado? I drive a modified Pajero io. I won't be taking that up the Cape anytime soon. Although I am off to the Simmo next fortnight. Although you are right...I've seen lots of pics and videos of the Cape and believe me....it is definitley on my "to do" list. Perhaps when I do eventually get a Prado :) 6 numbers will do me fine. Cheers.

Fab.
FollowupID: 763880

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:43

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:43
Fab I got the names stuffed up. Sorry that was for Kimba not you.

We are a month behind you for the Simpson. Were going to be in Birdsville on the 21st after the crossing and then found out about the celebrations. Oops. I hate crowds so dropped back a month.

FollowupID: 763887

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 20:24

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 20:24
I hear ya PJR. I often get asked why I don't plan my Birdsville trips to coincide with the races.

Quite simply, if I wanted crowds, I'd stay at home in Adelaide. I couldn't think of anything worse than to be in a town that has the infastructure to support max 1000 people, but having to deal with 6-8000 people.

We'll be up there on the 2nd and 3rd of July....just missing Marree's Camel cup by a day too. Strategic move on that one also.

Fab.
FollowupID: 763890

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:35

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:35
I also just missed a gathering at Sky Trek. What a blow! (NOT).

Catchya
FollowupID: 763905

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:43

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:43
I've got to admit I'm not a big fan of crowds but I went to the Birdsville Races last year and had a ball.

It's really well organised and we had plenty of room to camp, just out of town and a ten minute walk to the pub.

We're hoping to go back this year coming back from The Kimberley but if we don't it will be next year for sure.

hoo roo,
Steve
FollowupID: 763908

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 08:40

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 08:40
With me room or bad organisation is not the problem. I would like to, but I just cannot handle them. A residue of a problem 40+ years ago. There are others on this forum and I often see the subtle signs.

This is why we think that we love the peace and solitude of the outback. It will not lie nor betray you. It welcomes you but will be straight up with you and bite your head off if you do not respect it's dangers that are all around us and not hidden behind masks or false façades. Mate I could go on but will stop there. Thanks for the response.

It's just us mate. That's why my wife and I are so compatible, and have been for 15305 days ( isn't Excell handy).
FollowupID: 763937

Reply By: Tim - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 03:39

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 03:39
Which "chance" is that? The "chance" to accomplish someone one sets out to achieve.
I was expecting something much more extreme with your description. I think this website has a wide cross section of people and many are not black toppers.
Gunshot creek is far from a chance encounter, rather it's one of the luring features of Cape York.
Tim
AnswerID: 488686

Reply By: Bigfish - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 06:12

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 06:12
Its all about egos mate. Some peoples egos need a lot of maintenance and will take "chances " when ever. Others prefer to keep theirs in check and limit the amount of chances they take. Risk is a better word. The world needs all sorts to make life interesting. What you would consider very risky may be considered a piece of cake by another. It would a very boring old you-tube with pictures of 4wds travelling at 80 kph on the bituman. Some people go overboard and are just plain stupid. Thes people are normally the ones brought to our attention.
AnswerID: 488687

Reply By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:02

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:02
Hi Kimba, In both those videos the only thing I saw that was questionable was the kid standing on the bank at the end.
It would appear you have not driven a lot of tracks like those in the videos and that's fine.
We often had people say to us on our trip around oz about how rough or bad a track was. I never had any issues with any track we did. Our vehicle was set up for it.
We had a guy tell us not to do the Gibb River rd unless we wanted to wreck our vehicle. Well we were greatly disappointed. We sat on 80-100 km/hr and it was like a dirt hwy. We even got over taken by a commadore on it. In his opinion we were idiots for doing the Gibb but it was nothing in our opinion as we were prepared for it.
I personally don't consider cape york remote anymore. To others it's the end of the known civilised world. We did Gunshot and although we got stuck, I didn't think it was taking a chance or a risk. It was just a track that was rough and needed care. Yes I could've driven around it and gone up the development rd but that could be done in a normal car so what's the point.
In the second video I would say the only thing is they needed diff locks to help not damaged the tracks.
Our vehicle was well set up. It had a lift kit, big tyres, diff locks front and rear, wheel carriers, winch ect. We were parked in a car park one day and I over heard a couple of people talking about our car. It went like this..."Have a look at this d**khead, bet he thinks he's a hero having a car like this. Bet he gets out in the bush a rips up the tracks and wrecks it for other people".
Well it was the exact opposite for us. We were travelling by our selves so we had all the gear and was set up to do extreme tracks, not because we were heading out to find the toughest, hardest tracks but because if we got stuck we had to get ourselves out. Also we wanted to be able to do some harder tracks without chewing them up by going to hard. There were some tracks we choose not to do cause the risk was to great, there were some tracks we did that others thought we were stupid for doing but we never did a track that I thought was dangerous by my expirience.
Your expirience on these sort of tracks seems limited but that doesn't make it wrong, stupid or dangerous for some else with more expirience to do it. I had people have a go at me for taking my kids into really remote areas with us. What if something goes wrong, your on your own. Yes we were but we were set up for it.
At the age of 5 and 6 our girls were jumping of high rocks into rivers in the Kimberlies, they were diving down real deep, sitting on the edge of jetties ect. We had people have a go at us for letting them do it. These people had no idea what our girls had done or were they had been. It was normal to them.
I grew up swimming in rivers and dams, My brother inlaw thought it was disgusting swimming in a river cause it has no chlorine in it and has logs ect. Mmmmm
It's funny I'm just watching a show about people who work with dangerous animals. I admire them for what they do, other people would think they are stupid risking their lives. Comes down to your expirience.
I hope you have the opotunity to get into some of these areas and expirience them.

Josh
AnswerID: 488695

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:00

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:00
Thanks Josh, As I said I wasnt calling these people idiots and they certainly looked like they were having a ball which is great. I havn't been in these parts of Aus, well certainly not these areas anyway have been plenty of others. Maybe this is some thing I can check out next time. Pictures/videos certainly dont do them justice some times and obviously by the peoples replys above you do need to give the 4wd some fair stick to achieve what these people were doing which is fine. I just thought been so far from home it would be risky to be pushing them so hard and hope for no breakages which I would imagine if repairs/parts were required it would be costly and possibly time consuming. Maybe my title should have read some thing else, but to anybody who may be in these videos, Im certianly not bagging them or what there doing just I was thinking along the lines of repairs and damage and cost. Thanks for your description Josh. Not sure if my prado would be able to make it like the other have................................
FollowupID: 763838

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:21

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:21
Hi Kimba, That's why I mentioned the fact our vehicle was set up really well. It wasn't cause I was finding the hardest tracks, it was so I didn't have to flog the crap out of it to get there. We did a track following a guy in front (we didn't know him). He had to really gun it and go hard to get through. We put it in low range 1st gear, diff locks in and crawled through very easy.
Our 80 series was constant 4wd so even on some loose gravel tracks were others said they were loosing traction we didn't. Did these guys have to go so hard or would a different driving style do the same job, I wasn't there so I don't know, but I do know alot of people think the only way to get through is to go hard. Tyre pressures and weight play a big part in doing these tracks. .
I saw some very plain 4wds going into some really remote areas without a problem. As I said we had a guy in a prado tell us the Gibb was a waste of time as it was to rough and would wreck our vehilce, then we get over taken by a commadore???
I was driving up a large (huge) sand dune with a mate. I was in my 80 series fully decked out. Tyres at 20 psi. My mate was in a 60 series stock standard, tyres at 18 psi. I got stuck half way up. He drove around me and to the top. I dropped my tyres to 18 and drove to the top. Sometimes something as simple as dropping tyres by 2 or 3 psi can make a track easy or hard.

Josh
FollowupID: 763841

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:17

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:17
Kimba I thought that you hit the nail on the head when you said "my title should have read some thing else". Too true mate.

Like Josh our car is set up for sole vehicle trips to both the red center and the high Vic alps. And like Burke and Wills we are prepared for everything and will not go where we do not need to go. That's what we do and as safely as we can make it. But there is always a level of chance. Just like driving to work or flying.

Regarding the video I would think that the driver of the first video is now aware that he should have firstly run out a bit of winch cable in case the front dug in. Which it did (good old Murphy!). But the combination of comms and disciplined sensible driving got him through Gunshot. However revving the daylights out of the car exiting Palm Creek was not necessary. Still I wouldn't jump on them too quickly. And I do not believe that is now not your position.

For the Frenchmans track run I would have had another vehicle without a trailer in the front to assist others through. But maybe they did not have that option. It's is a good challenging track. When we went through we had a few washouts to fix first. But that's the nature of the beast.

But it is good to show difficult situations so that others can learn by both good and bad practices being highlighted.

We also found the Gibb and Kimberley a relatively soft drive. Except the Karunjie Track had a couple of interesting sections. But note the car has been specifically modified for rough and remote trips.

Next for us is firstly a solo drive of both the Simpson and the Canning and then all points between the Pacific and Indian oceans.
FollowupID: 763849

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:42

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:42
This is one way to find out what your limits are.
When I was a kid skating about on a dewey grass paddock and belonging to a car club and going to Gymkanas were the best driving lessons you could imagine.
As for risks, try being a passenger in a bus in India ... no chance of sleeping there !
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488699

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:16

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:16
As for risks, try being a passenger in a bus in India ... no chance of sleeping there,,,,,no thank you ive seen there roads and the way they get around lol. I think maybe these clips would be past my limit ?? Ive done some off roading and this is some thing I have done in my old lux years ago but locally and again maybe what I did wasnt to the same level as in these vidoes, as we know cameras etc some times really dont show the true tracks and degree of difficulty of what they are doing, I was more thinking along the lines of damage and costly repairs in the middle of know were and would you take these risks while out there enjoying your holiday.............Is there certain parts I should be taking as spares ?? we will have a 5 year old with us so room is limited as well...............
FollowupID: 763840

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:18

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:18
Its a special of kind of person who takes $50,000 worth of vehicles through situations like that just to say they did it.
Then they get to camp in the bush in the middle of now where and tell each other tall tales of their daring exploits.
Was anyone mindful of the damage being done to the tracks which pretty soon will be impassable even to those guys?
One of the best You Tube videos I have seen was one where the group repaired the track after they had finished their days fun. Well at least they filled in the holes and laid water traps to stop their work being washed away.

Can't see the fun but ....

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488702

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:19

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:19
Gday,
"Its a special of kind of person who takes $50,000 worth of vehicles through situations like that" Yeah Ill say....the kind of person who buys a 4wd for 4wding, not just a show pony.
It looks to me like people out enjoying the country with there kids and friends?
If more people were out doing this with there families instead of sitting inside playing playstation we would all be better off.

Mind you.....my kids would have been
A) Buckled in their seats
B) Right out of the way
C) Having a drive themselves
Not standing where that kid was! Unless it was a really bad camera angle.

Maybe its just me, but If a bit of a 4wd track gets a little torn up as a result of a couple of families out enjoying themselves well be it.......its only a bit of dirt. And if less people use the track because its too rough for their Toorack tractors.......its probably not such a bad thing either is it?

Just my opinion.

Cheers
FollowupID: 763851

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:20

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:20
Well said Hairy, Our girls were either in the car or out taking photos/videos. Some of the best video we have of gunshot was taken by my 7 yr old daughter. Never were they in danger as safety was our first thought.
We have video of the jumping croc tour with a croc jumping not to far from our kids. My father inlaw went off his nut when he saw it. How stupid were we putting our kids at risk, what a stupid thing to do with our kids. His idea of adventure is to shop on a wednesday instead of a friday or go to a different shopping centre to shop.
We need to look after our enviroment but really it is there for us to use. I don't agree with these massive 4wds with monster tyres chewing the crap outn of everything in their path. As with everything, a few wreck it for the majourity. That goes for everything though.
Often it comes down to lack of expirience, but unless they get out and have a go and someone points out a better/softer way to do it, they don't learn.
Someone said it was tragic the way steve urwin died. He died doing what he loved. I would rather die doing what I love than sitting at home watching tv or in an office thinking, wish I could get out bush more but what if something goes wrong.

Josh
FollowupID: 763854

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:22

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:22
I think this post has been really interesting.

Nearly all the Members and Visitors of Exploroz are interested in exploring this great country. The way we do it varies greatly.

Many like to tow their caravan on the blacktop and stop in a Caravan Park each night, others want to drive up the most remote track and camp with a view to tomorrow and a billion stars at night. There are people with every want and need in between.

I can relate to Josh and Hairy's points of view but Kimba's point of view is the same as many people because it is based on their experience to this point in time.

Reading Kimba's mods I reckon his vehicle is more than capable to handle the conditions on The Frenchmans Track but he doesn't want to go there. Going to The Cape on a tagalong trip might be something that gives him the experience and confidence to take his fourby a bit further, when he knows what it is capable of. He might get back and sell it!!

It's good reading the concern people have for the dirt dug out of the track climbing from the Wenlock River but when the wet comes again that track will be gone. The river will come to the top of that bank and take it all away again and it will be rebuilt next year by 4wders with chain saws and shovels.

That's what's really good about getting out to these areas. Seeing how massively powerful the forces of nature are on the environment compared to our piddling little human tracks. Driving through a river bed in the dry looking up at flood debris six metres above us makes me want to be there and witness the wet when happens.

In six weeks we will be on the road with friends crossing the country and taking the most remote tracks we can. The combined mileage of the three 80 series Landcruisers is over 1.3 million kilometres. We prepare are vehicles thoroughly for the distance and locations. We carry basic spares, enough water and food for a minimum of 10 days, recovery gear and comms. That's what we love to do.

I have pictures and videos from Cape York not dissimilar to those that started this discussion and friends ask us "why do we do it"?? We used to use Camps Australia Wide almost as a bible for when we travelled, not we use it to see where we don't want to camp. No offence intended to those that love that style of travel but we have changed and what we want out of touring has now changed.

The beauty of this website is the different experience, needs and dreams of the users. The beauty of Australia is the different experience, needs and dreams of it's people and the ability to express ourselves.

Have fun,
Steve

FollowupID: 763898

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:54

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:54
An interesting post Kimba. Yes of course there was another way around but in the end it comes down to the fact that some drive these tracks to get to the destination while for others it's the challenge of the journey.
Personally I think life would be pretty boring if everytime a challenge was put before me I took the chicken track & really in this case on Cape York if you've taken the easy route including the ferry then you've not REALLY driven to the Tip ;-)
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 488707

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:30

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:30
Hi Craig

We took the ferry and didn't do Gunshot. How do I sit mate?

It's a top spot and we had a ball. Two sons bought cars (GQ and a 100 series both TD 4.2's) when I was diagnosed and we took a family time-out. A top drive.

I do not know about you mate but the destination is not paramount. It's the journey that is our enjoyment. That's why we "follow", or try to at least, where the explorers went not drive to where they end up. We very rarely stay in caravan parks or where there are crowds of more than four. Except for club drives.

Catchya
FollowupID: 763852

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 13:21

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 13:21
"Yes of course there was another way around"

Now that you have pointed that out it clearly demonstrates the difference between a "4WDriver" and a "Traveler".

4WDrivers are there for the challenge, and travelers are there to see things.

Some people may be a bit of both, myself included to a degree, however I know which side of the line I would prefer to be on.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 763856

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:35

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:35
G'day Crackles,

we did The Cape two years ago. We drove up to the top and back and only used the ferry for the trip up.
I've got to say taking the alternative route was one of the biggest adventures we've been on and still think of it every day.

Sticking to the PDR gets you there and back but we have memories of a journey that swamps my memories of a red road and corrugations. Probably can't say which way we went but we have memories of things so many people will never get to experience and I am grateful every day we stretched ourselves and did it.

I'm already dreaming of this year's trip and I haven't even been yet!!!

Hoo roo,
Steve
FollowupID: 763904

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 08:53

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 08:53
We were up there with our two eldest sons in August 2010. About the only track we did not cross that we had hoped to cross was the CREB. May be we will get back to discover for ourselves what can be seen along that one also. Like I said. The destination is not paramount. The journey definitely is. And I see similarity within your post also Steve.

FollowupID: 763938

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:26

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:26
Gday,

Why?
The same reason people use the GCR instead of the black top........climb a hill......go camping.
Because they can! Its fun....exciting.....challenging. Havent you ever done something just because it was fun.....not 100% necessary......just fun? Its probably what they were doing.

Cheers
AnswerID: 488711

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:42

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:42
""Havent you ever done something just because it was fun"" definately. Again Im not having a shot at these people in what they have done !! I'm just wondering more or less how people go if they were to do major damage so far from home and do these tracks need to be taken to get to where they are going. I will have back up $$$ for the trip and a cradit card for the unexpected but if I dont need to risk causing damage to my vehicle by been able to bypass these tracks then good I doubt our tour guide would go through these anyway ?? I havnt asked him yet. I only come across these clips last night when surfing you tube for the area.............
FollowupID: 763853

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:13

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:13
Kimba,

I think that video clip shows what can happen when one or more of the three golden questions are not answered.

1. Can my vehicle do it?
2. Can I do it,as the driver?
3. What if, what if it goes not to plan?

In this clip, yes the vehicle is capable of the decent, is the driver capable, well the fact that he did not haveing a back up plan in place or take precautions before hand would suggest that he was not capable.

The vehicle got stuck with the recovery points and winch buried and the vehicle not going forward of back.

One way out is to be dragged backwards. Did he have another vehicle ready to assist or just wait until another vehicle came along? The video does not show how the vehicle got out.

If he had put a strap on the front before the decent would have meant that a tow forward would have been possible.

Asking your self these questions before any obstacle will make the trip far more pleasurable.
As for pressure from others to do things that you are not comfortable with, are they going to be there to help if it does not to plan and pay for any repairs or recovery?

There is another way around, but I would suggest that you go and have a look at Gunshot creek crossing and make the assessment your self. Don't be forced into doing some ting that you don't want to do. The tour company that you are going with should allow you the option.
Just remember it is your family, vehicle, and holiday and you have driven to the tip your way.

Wayne

AnswerID: 488716

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 15:10

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 15:10
Wayne, I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not so much what these guys are doing but what to do when it goes wrong. It is a valid point. It is different if your on your own to travelling in a group. By yourself you need to be more careful and have a back up plan. We had sat phone, epirb and spare food just incase we got stuck somewhere remote.
Before we left I went to a wreckers and asked them if I could crawl over an 80 series wreck and pull off what I thought I might need. I then just crawled all over it and got bolts, clips, plugs, washers, bungs, brackets and anything else I thought might fall off or break. I did use a couple of things but nothing major. I actually used more stuff fixing other peoples cars that weren't as prepared as we were.
There is also a fine line between taking enough stuff for spares and taking so many spares you break down more often becuase of the excess weight.

Josh
FollowupID: 763865

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:01

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:01
Great response Wayne...

Tommy (Toyota) still remembers our initial trips well...

Regards
Baz
FollowupID: 763939

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 17:57

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 17:57
G'day Kimba,

Great post and certainly got the crew talking! In a few visits there I have always gone round (yes I know I'm a woos) but seen both sides of the story. Watched a guy with a very well set up toymota do all the crossings there both down and up - most impressive. He mentioned that his goal was to do the whole OTL, we did notice that the Jardine crossing was not on the list. He had a great set up including front and rear lockers, big wheels and adequate ramp up and down. On other visits I have seen a guy ruin his front end, not sure what hurt most, the damage or the tongue lashing he was getting from the missus. Another fella I watched backing down only to plant his exhaust in the mud - this was duly left behind when his mate pulled him out.

There is no doubt the Gunshot provides plenty of entertainment and I wouldn't miss it for quids.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 488736

Follow Up By: Inflataduck - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 20:36

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 20:36
Have been to the top by OTL at least 10 times in the sixty's, seventies, eighty's, ninety's & 2 years ago & years ago there where no chicken tracks, gun shot has always been one of the hardest, but there has always been several tracks on the south side, but the adventure of getting there is what makes the trip, I was sadded by how easy it is now, other then gun shot & brooks crossing.
We did all the crossings including the Jardine
My kids 16 & 13 would have felt cheated had we not challenged ourselves to get there as there dad & grand dad had in those early years, other than gun shot & the Jardine i let my 16 year old son on a learners permit drive the lot including brook's crossing & never once looked like getting stuck

good on them for having a go & i bet he all ways has the winch or strap easy to get to in futcher, a lesson learn't the hard way is never forgotten

We all take calculated risks every day, some are just higher than others
FollowupID: 763892

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:48

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:48
Hi Kimba10,

I watched the videos.... I haven't read the replies etc... I can imagine what others have said.
I have mixed feelings about it though. On the one hand it's a long way from help if something goes wrong, be it mechanical or medical help. On the other hand it's a long way to go to not experience it all!
We were destined to be leaving for the Cape this weekend, but had to pull out thanks to my injuries suffered early this year. I had always said that I would take the easy way around Gunshot. Until I get there, who knows? If I choose the easy way, I can live with that, same as I can live with doing damage the hard way. The second video of the Frenchmans Track looks a lot of fun though. And although I believe the spectators are way too close, it's all part of it. I have found that it's almost as big a thrill watching someone get "up-that-track" as it is actually doing it!

I think it's a matter of employing the first two rules of 4WD'ing....

1) Stop, Get Out, Look

2) Think, Assess, Decide.

Cheers

Brian

AnswerID: 488894

Sponsored Links