Tyre size available 255/100 R 16 (9.00 R 16)?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:48
ThreadID: 9632 Views:11654 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, there. We want to make the big trip, starting september this year for 12 month
with our Bremach Extreme camper. NSW->VC->Tassie->SA->Alice->Gunbarrel->Perth->Broome->
Kimberley->Kakadu->Cape York->NSW).
One of the only things that makes me worry is our tyre size 255/100 R 16 (equals 9.00 R 16). In Europe there are only Michelin XZL's available in that size. They are almost undestroyable, and we will carry 2 spares, anyway I want to be sure to get a replacement if needed. Will I get them somewhere? Any comments are appreciated. Cheers Wolfgang
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: paulw - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 18:37

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 18:37
Hi Wolfgang,
You can buy Michelin XZL's in Australia in 255-100R16.
Don't expect to buy them everywhere though. They are a good tyre.
If you need to buy some in Australia, I would try and organise them with a Michelin dealer a few weeks in advance so that they can get them in stock for you
To avoid punctures and problems I would replace them when you have 30% of your tread left. Particularly before you tackle the Kimberleys, Cape York and the Gunbarrel Hwy. If the tyres are Tubeless, get a Tubeless puncture repair kit, Which can be bought in any 4WD shop in Australia, You can fix the tyres with the tyre on the Rim.
If they have tubes, Consider getting tubeless rims if possible for your vehicle or learn how to repair your tyres.
(Its hard work with split rims)
Good Luck with your tour to Australia

AnswerID: 42499

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:27

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:27
WolfgangZ.
There are plenty of small trucks in Aus. so you will always be able to get a tyre that size or 825 16 just to get you out of trouble, the split rims are are a lot easier to repiar than tubless with those heavy side wall tyres. It is unlikely that you will get a nail puncture on an outback track so any tyre problem will envolve removeing the tyre from the rim which is very difficult on the side of the road with tubeless. That style of tyre is very tough as you say, and I think you will have very little trouble if you are a sensable driver. Eric.
AnswerID: 42520

Reply By: WolfgangZ - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 03:03

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 03:03
Thanks for the info Paul + Eric. That will make me sleep better :-)
Our camper has SDC type split rims, which have a rather small lock ring, that can easily be removed with a screwdriver and mounted by hand. Also you can use tubeless tyres with them and that's what we have. It's quite easy to change them, given you have a real good compressor. Wolfgang

AnswerID: 42535

Sponsored Links