Cobourg Peninsula

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 15:41
ThreadID: 96364 Views:1933 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling, with our camper trailer around Darwin in July/August 2012 . We were wondering is it worth the trip to the Cobourg Peninsula, any suggestions will be very welcome.
We will not be fishing, just looking. What is the road from Jabiru like?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 17:53

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 17:53
Best to see if you can get in first as numbers are restricted at any one time.
Also check that campers are allowed as caravans aren't.
The road condition will vary with whenever it was last graded and traffic since. It is usually worse at the NP end gets very corrugated and sandy.
You are not allowed to stop and camp the whole distance must be done in one go so check tides at Cahills crossing for a day/time when it is low early in the day to give you as much time as possible.
AnswerID: 488920

Follow Up By: Scout - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:29

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:29
There is space available at the time we wish to go, what is the camping like, are they near the water or tucked away.
Scout
FollowupID: 764079

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:41

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:41
The two camping areas are about a 100 - 150 m in direct line from the beach over the frontal dune. You cannot see the water from camping areas.
Both sites had/have cold shower and drinking water and not much else, one allows gennies one doesn't.
The campsites are arranged in and around patches of scrub to give daytime shade but best to be out in the breeze at night to miinimise mozzie problem.
With small kids we found it easier to drive down the coast to other beaches where you could park right at the sand and walk a short distance to the water, mind you no swimming as the water has crunch it alls and other bities.
FollowupID: 764080

Follow Up By: Scout - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 08:31

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 08:31
Thanks Peter,
A further question, where down the coast did you camp, is this still within the Cobourg area? How far is it from the two sites you have mentioned?
Elizabeth
FollowupID: 764139

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:58

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:58
Agree with the Ramblers comments below, unless you are into fishing with a largish boat (16ft+) there isn't much to do after the first few days spent exploring the area. As he said there are only two campsites and both pretty much next to the same bit of scrub, a couple of hundred yards to the water.
We've been there twice over the years and the drive in is pretty much the highlight unless you're into fishing with a boat.
We took a 12ft tinny with a 15hp and with one adult and three kids it struggled against the tides and currents along the coast. A group that was there the second time had a 16ft deep hulled boat with a huge motor and they said that out off the coast it only just coped.
FollowupID: 764182

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:46

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:46
It is a while since I was there but as Ihave said in previous posts I was very dissapointed in my stay there mainly due to the number of restrictions as to where you can or cannot go.It seemed to me that the rangers had all the tracks to the good spots closed for themselves and as a result I with others left days before our permits allowed.The camping is near the water but again you are restricted to two campsites.Personaly Iwould spend more of your time in the Daly area, Douglas Daly area,Litchfield and Kakado.
AnswerID: 488929

Sponsored Links