Robe to Beachport Solo

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:31
ThreadID: 96371 Views:3222 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
we have been planning on doing the Robe to Beachport drive next week with another vehicle. Now the others have pulled out and i was wondering if it is still realistic to do the trip solo. I drive a lifted Discovery1 and will be carrying maxtrax and snatch straps.
What do you think?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: "crack-a-tinnie" - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:03

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:03
I just "Googled" it for you.

It's 51.2 kms and should take you 55 mins.

Stick to the left hand lane and obey all road rules and you shouldn't have any problems.

I think Robe is over rated, but Beachport is a very nice place to stay.

Hope you have a nice drive and a pleasant weekend.

Cheers.......... :-).................

AnswerID: 488935

Follow Up By: Kalex - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:06

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:06
How many tinnie's have you cracked to come up with that one :-)
FollowupID: 764082

Follow Up By: RobAck - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:08

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:08
The 38km from Beachport to Nora Creina takes 3.5 hours if you don't need a recovery!

Regards

RobA
FollowupID: 764083

Follow Up By: "crack-a-tinnie" - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:19

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:19
Just a couple Kalex, i couldn't help myself,,,,,,,, but i was fair dinkum about "Beachport", we were there awhile back and stayed at the big old pub now restaurant which I think is called "Bompas".

Hope you do have a good weekend.

cheers,
"crack-a-tinnie"
FollowupID: 764085

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:07
If you are comfortable with your sand driving skills, have tide charts, long handled shovel, the local track maps which are downloadable from the local government website, sand flag and are prepared to lower your pressures to around 16 psi then you are a starter

Travelling solo down there means staying off many of the really soft beaches especially in Little Dip or it's an insurance claim if the tide gets you. Give the ranger at Robe a call if you need any specific guidance he's a helpful chap but hard to catch as he works on his own

Maxtrax can be as useful as hip pockets in singlets on some of those beaches as they are so soft. We've buried them vertically on more than one occasion and digging them out is a pain when that happens

So take care, use the back tracks if the beaches look soft and you should be OK mostly.

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 488936

Reply By: cookie1 - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:38

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:38
I was down there last week and most of it is OK so long as you give the beaches a bit of respect and keep your forward momentum up.

I would start with my tyres at or around 20psi, there were a couple of sections that were quite difficult for a few of the group particularly coming up off the beach.

The sand was reasonably firm due to moisture, if you did get stuck the old forward & backwards rocking / packing the sand may help.

I have used the Maxtrax down there, next time I will tie a length of rope to them so that retrieval is easier, having said that I would gladly forfeit a couple of Maxtrax if it means saving my 4by from seaswamping.

Personally it really depends on your knowledge, experience and ability to think calmly if you lack in any of those then I would err on the side of caution.

Canunda is also a beautiful & safe-ish run and you can totally avoid the beach - don't go to Geltwood Beach if by yourself.

If I hadn't gone there last week I would come down for a run as it is a beautiful area.

Cheers

Colin
AnswerID: 488942

Reply By: Member - Minty (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:55
Rule of thumb for beach sand softness I drive by on the beaches there.
Steep beach = Soft sand
Flat beach = Harder sand.
Also the steep soft beaches tend to have coarser grained sand and flat harder beaches have finer, white sands.
So stay off step beaches.
This may not always apply, but as an observation it has always worked for me and kept me out of trouble. I don`t know the science behind it.
AnswerID: 488956

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 23:54

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 23:54
You are correct. Be very wary of any steep beaches in that area. The sand is coarse and extremely soft. Maxtrax will do you no good. I was stuck on a beach north of Beachport last summer and had to be winched off from 50 metres up the beach because the Millicent rescue troopy couldn't get down near me. I could drive on the maxtrax and would sink as soon as I was off them. Tyres were down to 10psi. Never seen anything like it and I was on my own. At one stage the waves were lapping my tyres...very thrilling :-). Still, it's a lovely area but keep your wits about you.
FollowupID: 764128

Reply By: putrol - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 20:05
have done it many a time & if you have any 4wd experience its no drama
just do it & enjoy yourself
AnswerID: 489045

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)