Patrol sub tank query

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:21
ThreadID: 96375 Views:2510 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

After my car conversion I was having some filler problems, ie I was having difficulties getting fuel in the tanks. I just had some rectification work done where we swapped the filler hoses around (meaning the main tank becomes the sub and vica versa) but we did not swap the breather hoses. When I was driving home I tried a sub tank transfer without any luck. The pump is working and the dash light is on just no fuel is being transferred. I used the sub tank 3 times last week with no problems.

Anyone have a clue, my gut tells me that it's the breather hoses.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:47
Not clear on just what you did, but just changing the main filler hoses over wouldn't do that.

The subtank pumps via a hose going to main tank with a one way valve in it.
this hose is in two pieces so if it was connected in wrong fuel wouldn't transfer.

My comments refer to petrol but think others are similar
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488954

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:37

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:37
Thanks Robin,

We changed the hoses at the cap end, just behind the filler door. Basically just swapped the hoses around to better make them fit so that the hose that used to go the filler cap marked "main" now goes to the filler cap marked "sub" and vica versa but we didn't shift the breather hoses. Now that the filler caps are lower the main tank hose ended up with an unnatural bend in it so the move was about giving it a straighter line to the tank.

Mine's petrol off course

Kind regards
FollowupID: 764178

Reply By: ChrisE - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 13:27
You need to give us more information....
What model/engine previous and after conversion?
Is it aftermarket sub tank?
Which Light are you talking about being on? The one in the instrument cluster or on the sub tank switch?

On the GU Diesel patrols (it looks like that is what you have in your picture) the sub tank pumps fuel into the main filler hose near the filler, so if you have swapped the filler hoses you will just be pumping fuel out of and back into the sub tank and it won't transfer at all. Open the fuel caps and have a look down the hose and you should see the fuel being pumped into the filler. I think you need to put the filler hoses back to standard to get the sub tank to work first.

Did you just convert to diesel and trying to use a high flow pump causing your filling concerns in the first place by any chance??
AnswerID: 489015

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:47

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:47
Thanks Chris,

Sorry it wasn't an egine conversion just the body. The egine is a 4.8 petrol and I think you are on the money with the sub tank system filling in the main hose. There is a fifth hose in there behind the filler caps and my immediate thought is that the same hose that Robin highlighted and if so then the fuel is just going around in a circle. I will investigate this tomorrow when its light.

Thanks to both you and Robin

Kind regards
FollowupID: 764179

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 19:31

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 19:31
Image Could Not Be Found
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489038

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:44

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:44
Thanks Robin,

That will give me a good reference.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 764201

Reply By: Member - Mudduck (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 19:34

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 19:34
Hi all, I'm a bit lost as to why you would swap filler hoses in the first place, surely the difference between them is minimal anyway, I've had a GU for years and have NO IDEA why that mod would be necessary, but im sure you have a reason.

The only problem I've ever had with our sub transfer pump was the power wire from the top of the sub to the pump broke off and i fed it power from else where until we got home from Birdsville.
Cheers Steve VK2UD
Dents are like scratches but with better stories

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489039

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:50
I hade my vehicle convertwd to a duel cab ute which meant the filler was moved. It ended up somewhat lower than original which caused a filling problem \, the switch seemed like a good solution to thi problem but looks like it created another problem.

The car now looks like this,

Image Could Not Be FoundG'day Mudduck,

FollowupID: 764202

Follow Up By: Member - Mudduck (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 05:47

Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 at 05:47
Ahhhh now it has all become clear
Cheers Steve VK2UD
Dents are like scratches but with better stories

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764210

Sponsored Links