Canopy

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:04
ThreadID: 96446 Views:7784 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Going to trade in my Prado Grande for a BT50 dual cab ute need the area to carry generator, outboard, folding trailer etc. without being decapitated or smelling like a petrol sniffer. Need a canopy and it needs to be single lock or keyed to central locking (bonus) also needs to be 100kg as I have a WA boatloader any ideas? Ive been told Razorback and ARB meet the load requirements but ARB have a dual key system! any ideas. Also does the suspension kit (ABR) $2K improve on road comfort as I am 99% from Bris to Daly and Roper Bar once a year.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Polaris - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 13:07

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 13:07
Go the Razorback!
AnswerID: 489224

Follow Up By: Scotty - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 13:55

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 13:55
Thanks Polaris,

Spoke with TJM this morning they stated that they have BIG issues with Razorback? did not go into details just that.
FollowupID: 764387

Follow Up By: Polaris - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 20:21

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 20:21
TJM actually supplied and fitted my Razorback. Only issue was the rear heated window operated very poor - so TJM powered it via a relay - worked great then.

The Razorback replaced an Ironman that was fitted first - and leaked like a sieve.
FollowupID: 764408

Follow Up By: Polaris - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 13:28

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 13:28
No comparison between the Razorback steel canopy and the rest of the fibreglass or plastic jobs!
The Razorback is made on a production line in the same fashon as the dual cab ute is. The roof is just as strong as the dual cab roof.

Razorback canopy link.

BT50 canopy link.

Manufacturing process link.

There is no need to 'slam' the rear door - it shuts just like your average hatchback car. With remote central locking (same remote that unlocks the car also unlocks the canopy), auto relock timer, interior lock and door handle, on/off/door interior lighting, rear demister, same paint as the dual cab, propper interior lining - not glued on marine carpet, no need to add extra bracing in order to fit roof racks.

No comparison
FollowupID: 764462

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 17:00

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 17:00
Scotty

I have a WOW canopy which is on my BT50. It has a large roof carrying capacity and has been dust proof as well.

See their link here

Hope that gives you another source to look at.

Cheers
DW
AnswerID: 489232

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 18:31

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 18:31
If you are looking for more space that is easy to access I suggest you give some thought to swapping for a tray and gulling canopy, you gain over 1m2 of floor space plus it is so much better accessing from the sides instead of over a tailgate. best thing that I have done.
AnswerID: 489237

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 20:46

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 20:46
Hello Scotty,
Check out Carryboy canopies; they are made from fibreglass, and they are single key slam-shut jobs. They can carry weight on the installed roof bars.

For mine, I like the ARB canopy with the interior HD steel supports; the cost of the canopy and supports - including roof bars - is almost the same as the Carryboy canopy. I would back it against the fibreglass job on really rough roads when carrying a hefty load above.

I've had both of these canopies; I had the ARB smooth-grained plastic job on my previous vehicle - a Hilux DC ute - and had no dramas at all. It went over many a rough road with a rack and weight above ! I have carried long loads using the ARB canopy bars and a temporary Rhino Rack cabin-mounted bar purchased from Roof Carrier Systems in Camberwell, Vic.

I have the smooth ARB canopy on my new BT-50 - see my profile picture. The lift up side windows allow me to stow and remove goods easily; I'm 6'5" tall. Living with the dual locks is not a chore for me.

I have decided not to have the steel support bars installed this time as I have sold my tinnie. Instead, I'm planning on installing a Rhino Roof rack over the cabin - with ARBs help - to shift weight forward of the rear wheels when touring with a load in the tub.

My suggestion: Don't rush in to buy. Ambush some owners and talk to them about their canopies and what they carry above it.

Cheers,
Netnut
AnswerID: 489243

Follow Up By: Scotty - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 08:47

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 08:47
Thanks Netnut,

Well I'm 13" shorter than you so I'm thinking of twin drawer system with sliding top so that anything I pack in at least I can slide forward and retreive from back tailgate. Side windows will be liftup as an emergency only.

I travel by my self so I really dont access the back much at all and now that I have a caravan as apposed to my camper trailer I only use the evakool for cooling beer when I set up camp.

regards

Scotty
FollowupID: 764427

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:59

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:59
G'day Scotty
Having owned 2 dual cabs with canopies, when I get my next one it will be a tray back with purpose built alloy canopy with side opening doors.

Both have had ARB canopies which were great quality wise but a pain to use over a period of time.

First one was sliding side windows good for ventilation but it got annoying climbing right in to get stuff from near the cab. Also tailgate leaked dust.

Second one had lift up windows but you can only get small items through them so you still have to crawl in the back. Poor ventilation because you cant drive with them open. Tailgate leaks dust again too.

So plan C is as I said, purpose bult with side opening doors.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 489264

Reply By: Scotty - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 08:39

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 08:39
Thanks Stu and chaps,

Know about the multiple locks and thats why I'm looking for single lock. TJM state that EGR do a single slam lock and you can get an internal kit to beef them up to $150kg load, as I stated I have a WA boatloader for my tinnie. has enyone had anything to do with them or know the product?

ARB seem to be the most popular although twin locks at the back (yuk)

When you remarked that the tailgate leaked dust do you mean the tub or the canopy as I'm aware the tub tailgates are not sealed (crazy for the price you pay for the vehicle)?

Most canopies offer a pressure/vent hatch for about $120 any comments?

regards
Scotty

AnswerID: 489270

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 08:50

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 08:50
Yep.
Tailgate leaks dust.
FollowupID: 764428

Sponsored Links