Best Caravans (Not off road)

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:24
ThreadID: 96459 Views:2374 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Everyone, I would like to know where I can get information on the best vans made. Obviously its a quetion like how long is a piece of string!! I have a Jayco. Heaps of them on the road, but you definatley have the tool kit out more than occasionally. Built for a price and only mediocar in my opinion. Would change make next time around. Any ideas thanks JOHNO
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:13

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:13
Johnno I would start at the caravan and motor home shows and then go through past issues of caravan and motor home magazines,by the time you have done that,you will be as wise as the rest of us, in my opinion it all comes down to how many dollars you want to spend and where you want to go in the van, we have a 96 Roadstar van, and it does our needs for the moment, and we know that sooner or later we will have to upgrade, and then we will be in the same predicament as you, What to buy? not much help I am afraid, good luck.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489284

Reply By: Polaris - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:58

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:58
A lot depends on how deep your pockets are.

Jayco are built on a production line, to a price, and the company now commands >45% of the Ozzie market. They must be doing something right.

Another consideration that is often overlooked, is that many other manufacturers have a 'return to base' policy when it comes to warranty issues. Have met people on the road who have had to transport their 'van from Darwin to Brisbane or in one case Perth to Sunshine coast - for repairs!

At least Jayco have a national dealer network with over 90 dealers who are able to rectify warranty or other issues.
AnswerID: 489286

Follow Up By: racinrob - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 13:19

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 13:19
Speaking to a caravan repairer in a western NSW country town who, when I asked him which 'vans he liked said,
"Jayco's of course, they are the one's that keep me in business". True story.

No caravans are bullet proof however and even Kedrons and BushTrackers are known to break.

rr VKE237 6678
FollowupID: 764461

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 13:01

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 13:01
Hi Johno, It depends on how much you want to pay for a van. Get on the computer to see what you like , go to caravan dealers and shows to see what is available and if you think that van would suit you.You make up your own mind on what you like because we are all different. I see that most late model secondhand are not much cheaper than new.There looks to be some good new vans around but are up to around $100,000 and that is not an offroader. I have had vans since 1964 when I first bought an 14 foot aluminium framed Valiant made by Viscount which cost nearly 1000 pound including extra 60 pound for the aluminium frame,then nearly a years wage, then in about 80 bought a second hand 8 berth aluminium framed van also made by Viscount. Vans are like vehicles much cheaper now in comparison to wages and you have much more in them for the money . All vans have good and bad points the same as vehicles. In 2001 we bought a new Jayco offroad Dove, as far as we were concerned too good to take offroad so sold it and bought a new 2005 Jayco Heritage, no ensuite. We also have a 1 minute tent that we use for bush or quick trips . Now that Laraine is retiring and we are going to travel more also do some free camping we are thinking of maybe getting a van with an ensuite. We both don't mind using a solar shower, portapotti or shovel. The van would be used as base camp asphalt tourer. I hope that this has been of some help to you . Have a enjoyable and great time travelling. Vern.
AnswerID: 489287

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 13:41

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 13:41
Hi Johno,

As you have stated its an open ended question as there are about 200 different brands of caravan, camper trailers, motor homes etc available in Australia priced about $4000 new to $400,000+ (motor homes). Even caravans have a huge range in price based on their size, fittings, quality etc etc.

But to be of some specific help to your question I will give you the results I came up with a few years ago when I was searching for a good second hand black top van. My research indicated Evernew and Royal Flair were two very well built vans that had an excellent reputation. I ended up buying an Evernew second hand and had 7 years use out of it then sold it for $4000 more than I paid for it. I have neither of these brands now as I have upgraded into full off road brand but you would do well to look for a good second hand Evernew or Royal Flair in my opinion.
Cheers

AnswerID: 489290

Follow Up By: Racey - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 15:50

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 15:50
I would 2nd the Evernew and they are one manufacturer who doesn't visit the shows; they don't have to. We have ours for 7 years traveled approx 100,000 klms and I expect will continue for another. About 3 years ago we thought we had a leak from the en-suite. I rang Evernew and spoke to Bruce told him the problem and that I thought there was a leak in the wall. To cut the story short; spent 4hrs locating the leak which turned out to be a crack in the cap of the overflow filler cap of the Thedford toilet. Naturally, I was expecting a bill for the 4hrs labour. Bruce was helping me hook up the van and asked how much do I owe you. The answer was "nothing we're just pleased your happy with your van".

At this point the van was 4yrs old. You can't get any better than that.
They are well built a little dearer than some and it's a family business which stands by there product.

Cheers

Racey
FollowupID: 764466

Reply By: Priscilla G - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 15:00

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 15:00
Caravan & motor home magazines seem to only review brands that advertise in their magazines so there are heaps more brands to investigate. When we buy a new van hubby does the underneath & outside over & the first things i check inside, are the drawers ,must be on runners & the bases firm( not flimsy).Same for cupboard doors & well hinged.If these all pass, is a good sign all else is ok.We did every dealer in Adelaide & kept going back to a Regent (not off road) van. Hope those that have taken them over can keep up the quality in their vans.
AnswerID: 489297

Reply By: bluefella - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 16:52

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 16:52
g,day Johno
i reckon a 10 year old GOLF in good nick is a better built than most of the current black top vans.
cheers
Blue
AnswerID: 489312

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 17:30

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 17:30
There is no one 'best' van but a bit of investigation will soon turn up some names of well built vans by manufacturers who provide excellent warranty service. Two have already been mentioned. I would add Traveller from our experience. Our Traveller was quite sturdy enough for dirt roads and we had few warranty issues. There was no problem with these or with some repairs that were our fault. We certainly did not have to go back to the agent or the factory - arrangements were made for a local repairer or tradesman where ever we were! Our current van is a Sunland Off Roader and the same support is available for any problems. You do not need an extensive dealer network - a reputable manufacturer can provide service anywhere and repairers will send the bill direct to them - none of this " you pay and then try to claim it back " nonsense!

Develop your own list of Must Haves and Desirable Features, decide your budget, think about the layout you might like then look at a lot of vans and talk to a lot of owners - rather than just salesmen. Take your time and you will know it when you find it! Lynne
AnswerID: 489320

Reply By: graham B9 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 20:26

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 20:26
Hi Johno,

The answer is easy despite all the different thoughts.

Find the 3 most expensive brands and then go to have a look at them. Take the phone and photograph the underside of the van, the same inside the boot. Look at how it is made underneath as this will reflect how itis made under the cladding. Get a ladder and climb on top.

These are places where people do not look and where short cuts can be made. The most expensive vans use the best quality materials. Then just compare what you have seen to the rest.

This comes from making and installing caravan accessories for years. Generally the best is the most expensive. Just look at cars, houses, boats, watches, aircraft, tools.

The best thing about the world however is this does not apply to women.................................yeah
AnswerID: 489335

Sponsored Links