Nissan Patrol

Submitted: Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:26
ThreadID: 96489 Views:3433 Replies:10 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys

Have looked at a Patrol 3 litre common rail ST diesel 2008. It has 110000k and the dealer is asking $37000.
I have looked back through previous threads as I have heard that these cars can be under powered or even just plain no good, but can only find info on older models.
The wife has had a test drive and all seems OK, it looks like the type of car that will suit us for years. We tow a Goldstream Wing which weighs about 1400kg.
Any thoughts or info readily accepted
Thanks
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bazz - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:33

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:33
get onto the nissan patrol forum, itll tell you all you need to know, most of the problems have been sorted with the 3 litre , see quite a few towing vans , the earlier models were a headache.
AnswerID: 489403

Follow Up By: Nutta - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:37

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:37
Check out patrol4x4 forum.

These things are a bit old fashioned but that model is reliable, more grunt with a chip and 3" exhaust.
FollowupID: 764562

Follow Up By: Nutta - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:38

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 20:38
Whoops, hit follow up instead of reply!
FollowupID: 764563

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:21

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:21
Always a lot of comments on those cars Richard , we have been around the edge of them for many years ,I think my brother invented the hand grenade comment on them in excess of 10 years ago before it became a popular term, but over the years they have been improved.

It is unfortunate that they have still not made it into the catergory of a strong reliable engine and I could not reccomend them for the more out of the places.

Their however are those have have used them as long distance tourers sucessfully for years.

We have always preferred the 4800 petrol versions and a couple of others on this site have gone from their 3lt to the 4800 versions and have been surprized to find themselves with a much more powerful and modern vehicle without fuel cost penalties with lower intial costs.

If you do go down the that I would consider the manual version as it has more torque and your 1400kb load would not trouble it much.

The basic diesels take 16 secs and more to reach 100kmh and I consider them to slow to be safe and in addition there brakes are smaller than the petrol versions.l

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489405

Follow Up By: Member - Richard L (VIC) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:30

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:30
Thanks Robin

We are not true outback adventurers but tend to camp in the parks. I felt that the patrol was more roomy inside, but if its not reliable then its not worth the risk.
There was a prado parked next to it in the showroom but was 4 years older and $5000 dearer. I didnt feel as comfortable behind the drivers wheel. Perhaps the patrol is just too big?

Richard
FollowupID: 764569

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:50

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:50
We each have our different views on what is important to us Richard.

The Prado is definately more reliable, but that Patrol is a more stable vehicle.
The 4.2lt diesel Patrols are very reliable but even slower and noiser.

I would choose the 3lt Patrol every time and take out RACV total care.

Its interesting to see how our views change over time.

The GU Patrol looked like a monster once as did the 80 series "Whales" however then came the bigger 100 series then the 200 series, and an even bigger Nissan is on the way.
A factor in my reccent purchase of another 4800 GU Patrol was that it was big enough to sleep inside but significantly smaller than its opposition.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764571

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 23:17

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 23:17
Yep the petrol is great - as an auto (the only box with the petrol, I think) it's better than a Cruiser V8 100 at towing. But the diesel is slow and thirsty, indicative of it working beyond its happy zone, even with only half its max weight on board

and 37K is too much, I reckon
FollowupID: 764582

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 07:04

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 07:04
I keep reading that the 200 is massive compared to other vehicles but it is almost identical to the GU, even the Pajero is close.

From the manufacturers web sites.

GU Patrol Length 5050, Width 1940, Height 1855
200 Cruiser Length 4950, Width 1970, Height 1905

The inside is a different story though, and perhaps what causes the confusion, the Cruiser is about 180mm wider and 260mm longer in the cabin area.

FollowupID: 764595

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:31

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:31
Hi Guys

Gt , you could get a manual gearbox in the 4800 up till mid 2005 models - today no new 4800 are made.
( I have just made an offer on a 3rd 4800 - a manual on gas , could be the best of both worlds for outback touring)

Hi Boobook

The 200 series is much more massive than the GU and I agree with the figures you put up.

This is because of the quite different shapes , in the GU for instance the length includes a rear mounted spare wheel overhang.

The floor of the 200 series cargo area is a lot higher , but the interesting one is the width.

The GU width measurement includes wide plastic mudguard flares over popped out mudguards and its actual body line is much narrower.
The roof top width actually got smaller when they changed from the previous GQ .
I remember when I went to fit my roof racks onto the GU , I actually had to slide the runners in - quite a surprise as its fatter in the guts.

I have an internal Nissan document on this somewhere describing why these changes were made , it basically goes to stability.

If you look down an overgrown track you see the bushes coming in at the top making a tunnel and the GU fits much better into this scene.

This is great for 4wding , but not so great if your looking for internal volumne

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764604

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:33

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:33
"The Prado is definately more reliable, but that Patrol is a more stable vehicle."

Keep in mind that while the "Patrol" may be more "stable" it is overall a less safe vehicle to have an accident in compared to a "Prado". A fact possibly worth considerating...especially considering most accidents (involving death or injury) dont involve "stability" issues.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 764605

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:59

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 09:59
who a I missed the comment on stability - my experience is the Prado is a much more fundamentally stable vehicle on road and dirt, there's no heavy axle donging away underneath the front of the car to mess things up. Bodyshell is tighter, too - and carries Lexus spec sound proofing
FollowupID: 764608

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:00

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:00
Robin Miller posted:

snip

"If you look down an overgrown track you see the bushes coming in at the top making a tunnel and the GU fits much better into this scene."

That makes sense Robin, I do seem to collect my fair share of pin stripes.
FollowupID: 764609

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:07

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:07
GT Campers posted:
SNIP
"- and carries Lexus spec sound proofing"

I doubt it very, very, very much. Toyota don't give a cent away unless they have to. For example there are 4 levels of soundproofing in just the Australian 200. ( Sahara has double door seals, and thicker under floor soundproofing). GXL / VX have one seal and less, GX has even less. Plus the Lexus 570 has more.

Toyota even dropped a 3rd position on the switch for auto headlights even though the electronics fully support it, this must have saved them all of $0.50 per $100,000 vehicle.

To think that Toyota would 'spec up' an Australian Prado with expensive soundproofing to a US Lexus standard sounds like 'Lotto' type probabilities to me.
FollowupID: 764612

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:08

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:08
@ GT Campers

Hi

The "stability" issue being referred to is tilt angle (i.e. point at which car tips over). Fact is that the “Patrol” is more "stable" in this regard but it should not be considered in isolation and/or over-emphasised as in the real world it’s not something that would have a significant impact on most peoples activities/safety.

It has been demonstrated (from real world stat’s) that a “Prado” is a safer overall in accidents..so the fact that a “Prado” may roll over more often doesn’t contribute significantly to the likelihood of you being injured or killed (isn’t that the bottom line for most people?). You have a higher risk of this in a “Patrol” even though it is less likely to roll over.

The difference in the overall safety factor may or may not be significant – it’s just that a wide range of factors should be considered when assessing a cars suitability for a purpose and the assessment also needs to take into account a specific persons circumstances. Dwelling on a single factor (e.g. “stability”) in isolation can result in the wrong conclusions being drawn.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764620

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:13

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:13
Hi GT

I can understand why one feels the Prado is more stable as I agree its front suspension insulates one more from road noise, however its a false sense of security. Its the longer wheelbase and much better roll over angle of the Patrol that makes it such a good outback tourer , the rollover senario being the worst and most frequent form of serious injury accident.

Often people also comment on the troppies as feeling firm and secure and they are right up until the moment they tipover , and yet the research has shown this to be the worst performing mainline vehicle in this regard.

To be fair all round though , on a highway at speed the newer Prado's 200 series etc and most modern cars have stabillity control now which the GU's never had and this probably balances out the Patrols inherent advantage.

I am interested to see if this is the case but the hard research isn't in just yet.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764621

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:36

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:36
"the rollover senario being the worst and most frequent form of serious injury accident."

Hi

I could be wrong but this statement appears to be misleading. I think what you are saying is that IF you roll over there is a high likelihood of death or injury relative to an accident of some other nature (e.g head on)..can you clarify? Bit like saying Toyotas are the single most popular brand of car…fact of the matter is most people don’t drive Toyotas – they drive a range of other vehicles. There are several types of accident…which combined make up more deaths and injuries than rollovers.

Rollovers only make up a small percentage of accident types. I am also not aware of any stats that show roll overs in Prados are more dangerous than a roll over in a Patrol or visa versa i.e. you may in fact be more likely to be injured or killed in a roll over in a Patrol than a Prado..even if a roll over in a Patrol is less likely. You can't just say Prados are more likely to rollover therefore they are less safe (with respect to likelihood of injury).

And as far as all accident types combined go you are more likely to be injured or killed in a Patrol due to some inherent safety shortcomings (relative to a Prado) – fact based on stats.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764623

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:13

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:13
Hi Robyn,

How did your old Patrol finally depart this world? Wonder what the outcome may have been in a Prado with stability control?

Cheers

Captain

PS. Sorry, couldn't resist ;)
FollowupID: 764632

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 16:08

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 16:08
Boobook: Toyota engineers have said (off the record - I don't think you'll read it anywhere) that Aussie spec Prados carry GX-spec noise isolation due to Australia's gravelley conditions. That was for the 120 Series; it's a moot point but no-one can argue the hushed interior of a Prado (120 or 150) in a B2B comparison with to the boomy, shimmying Patrol (or some others, such as Pajero). I hear what you are saying about costs, and agree, but Toyota Oz also decided to take two tanks and the spare on the rear door, too - an expensive undertaking that appeals to about 5-10% of customers (like us!!) but one that adds strength to the Prado 'brand' beyond the landed cost compromise.

Explorer: Stability is a bit of a bendy (!) term but my comments about stability to the original poster were in the context of towing - the Prado is a far more stable tow car than the Patrol. It doesn't move around as much. It is smoother. It can corner faster without the "ohhh woops" feeling. I reckon that is more important for a caravanner's purchase decision that what angle the things tips at.

Robin M: I haven't seen any ADR, tests or stats of what you mention. They may exist, but I have never been made aware of such numbers.
Yes, quiet cars can feel more 'serene' than noisy ones when figures suggest otherwise but get these two on a racetrack - or fast dirt, or any lumpy bitumen - and the double-beamed Patrol will become a messy, we're-gunna-die missile at a lower speed than Prado, or just about anything else.

Not actually knocking Patrols BTW...it's what the original poster was asking about. But from a chassis development perspective it's a blinged billycart.
FollowupID: 764639

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 16:33

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 16:33
"Stability is a bit of a bendy (!) term but my comments about stability to the original poster were in the context of towing"

Hi

Maybe so but you were responding to RM's comment on stabilty which was in reference to tilt angles. I was just pointing out that you were both talking about different things...nothing more nothing less. And I obviously agree with you on the fact that there are far more important things for most people to worry about than the angle that things tips at...hence the rest of my dribble :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764640

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 17:07
Um, err, yeah, well, maybe this discussion has gone a bit... unstable... :)

FollowupID: 764643

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 19:22
Hi Captain

Your a stirrer , but its a great story , and I never thought I'd get to closely a real world example of just how good these cars are.

When the new owner tried to aviod a roo and hit the tree and my ex-car nearly rolled I took great interest in every aspect of this as you could imagine, espically as it was near home.

Though some contacts I got other opinion and to cut the pain short the accident investigation backed my conclusion that most other cars would have rolled rather than just lay down and actually spin 180+ while on its side.

Quite amazing really.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764653

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 19:45

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 19:45
Hilarious - Spruiking the amazing capabilities of a Patrol compared to other vehicles when it has actually rolled onto its side. Made my day. I’m reposting this on Friday Funnies :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764654

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 08:00

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 08:00
Robin, I gotta admit there is some kind of Karma thing going on with that incident.

FollowupID: 764684

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 08:47

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 08:47
Could be BooBook , not that you would wish anything like that onto anyone,
but after threads like 68264 etc its obvious that these things just won't die easily.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 764687

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 09:00

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 09:00
Yes, also please don't take my comment as anything as a light hearted, well meaning observation. I enjoy your posts and respect your experience and meticulous research. I only wish the best for you and your family / friends.

BTW, I understand that the GU now has active stability control and possibly traction control so that should bump its safety on road too.
FollowupID: 764689

Reply By: Trev&Ness B - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:26

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:26
we looked at the 3ltr but in older models, opted to go for the 4.8 2003, yes more fuel consumption(now diesel is way more expensive than pet) maybe not to much more expensive, but able to do anything and tow anything. I couldnt afford the newer ones but there is alot on the road and alot of the grey nomads use them so they cant be to bad. Have you looked at the 4.2 diesel they are the bees nees but expensive.
trev.
AnswerID: 489407

Follow Up By: Member - Richard L (VIC) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:33

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:33
Thanks Trev

That was the only one in the yard that we looked in. Will do some more searching

Richard
FollowupID: 764570

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:51

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:51
we had a kluger before the patrol, i test drove a prado but didnt think it was much diferent to the kluger accept for the 4wd. We tow a jayco os at 1500kg and the patrol drives like a dream i only wish i changed earlier. I feel alot safer towing with it than the kluger. My wife drives it everday and she has no problem parking or driving it anywhere.
One thing i found with the toyota landcruiser and prado you tend to pay alot more for alot less, but you do get the most reliable 4wd around with the landcruiser.
FollowupID: 764572

Reply By: Member - jezza68 - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:57

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 21:57
Hi Richard,

I have owned a 2008 CRD Patrol Manual from new.
Mine is reliable however is not economical @ 16.6lt/100kms not towing.
But there is little difference in economy when towing my heavy camper and car topper dinghy.
I have had no mechanical problems.
I have taken my patrol to such places as Gibb River ( 4X), Cape York using the Telegraph Line, Tanami, Savannah Way and Plenty Highway.

I have just returned from a trip to Darwin in a brand new Commodore and really missed the space and comfort of the Patrol for touring.

The "Grenade" tag was basically for the early 2001 - 2003 models.

Tamery
AnswerID: 489409

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:38

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:38
jess68

At 16.6 lt/100km not towing, you should get it checked out, or put a brick under the accelerator pedal.
That's abonomible fuel useage

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 764591

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 21:19

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 21:19
I agree with Bucky, we had a 2.8D Patrol for many many years & the only time we got anything near as bad as that fuel economy was into a bad all day headwind on the Nullabor (ish - area).
But that old Patrol was wonderful, reliable & taught us to really plan off road driving (with that engine), and highway driving, and hills... I now have a 76 Landcruiser & love the power, it has made it easier, but it does feel more tippy than the old Patrol - at least for now. Either way you get to know the vehicle & drive within its limts.
btw the Patrol had better space for sleeping in the back too - longer behind the front seats.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 764665

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:12

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 22:12
Richard

I will only comment on the price, i think it is over priced. I have a similar model and year, with almost the same mileage. The mileage is above average for its age.
I did an online tradein valuation for mine the other day and a average mileage one is about $27K. so a high mileage one is less. Even a 10K mark up would be ecsessive.

Alan
AnswerID: 489416

Reply By: shanegu6 - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 08:53

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 08:53
I think that's a lot of coin for that model with those kms. I would nt pay any more than $32 for one with those kms.
AnswerID: 489429

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:07

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:07
I know there are a few 3Lt patrols out there going well but personally I think that a 3 litre engine is just too small for a full size 4WD and has to work too hard all the time, even harder if towing. That equates to 1 litre per tonne. Toyota only put 3 litres in the lightweight Hilux, not the cruisers.
I feel much more comfy knowing that the engine is just ticking over easily and has a bit of power to spare if required.
I think the petrol engine is a better proposition in a patrol for reliability and power output but they get a tad thirsty I believe.

Cheers
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 489462

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 20:15

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 20:15
Totally agree. Putting high revving turbo charged small motors in large size car bodies is a fools game. Toyota realise this and thats why the cruiser has a larger motor to suit the body style/weight.
If your going to be doing a lot of towing you just cannot beat a large turbo engine. Older 4.2 nissan turbo or the 4.2 turbo of toyota are the bees knees for a cheaper vehicle that is a reliable, proven performer in Australia.
Tojo V8,s are way over priced. I drive the 3 liter patrol ute everyday in the bush for work and apart from stalling it several times a week it isnt a bad vehicle. Can never get the hang of revving a motor to get going! Especially after driving my own 4.2 turbo tojo where you can take off in third gear if you want due to the great torque of these motors. Tow something behind the 3.0 liter nissan and it becomes a real pain. Needs constant gear changes and uses heaps more fuel

Toyota landcruiser mate..Oz,s most popular 4 wd..for a bloody reason
FollowupID: 764656

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 23:43

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 23:43
Interesting to do some sums!

The 3.0TD GU has some 350Nm of torque while the 4.5TTD 200 has some 650 Nm. That works out at ~117 Nm per litre for the GU and 144 Nm for the 200. Which engine is more stressed?

Cheers

Captain

PS. I had a 3.0TD GU and now a 200 series 4.5 TTD.
FollowupID: 764674

Reply By: Member - Richard L (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 23:01

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 23:01
Thanks everyone

I think the boss is now looking at Toyota's, Im just trying to take advantage of any deals at this time of year. All the same I dont want to buy a lemon

Richard
AnswerID: 489496

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 00:08

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 00:08
Hi Richard, The Nissan Patrol is old techknowledgy from 2000 to date Nissan have only increased the KW by 3 & they rate the latest model at 118 KW!! Have a look at the Pajero 3.2 Lt Auto Diesel. I think the vehicle is a great tourer & towing vehicle. For the weight you are towing it is ideal especially with 146KW & plenty of torque. A lot of the advice given to you has been interesting to say the least but before you accept it....put your bum in a Pajero NP to NT models & let the missus have a drive of the auto....you will be pleasantly surprised. They are a very underated 4WD. I tow a full van ATM 2350KG & get around 14 ltrs/100 & get 10Km to the ltr around town not towing. Good luck. Robert
FollowupID: 764676

Follow Up By: Member - Richard L (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 06:39

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 06:39
Thanks Robert
The first car we tried was a Paj as afriend drives and old model and swears by it. The only problem was the driving position, I am 2 m tall and weigh about 120Kg. It was a bit cramped and I felt that long distances would be painful, its the same story whatever I try to buy I have to find out what fits before I can choose what I like!

Richard
FollowupID: 764680

Reply By: Member - Richard L (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 18:50

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 18:50
Thanks everyone

We went with the Patrol, knocked it down to $34000 and 12 month rego, it kind of felt right in the end. Hopefully we can start to get out and about a bit more.
The only toyotas that we saw for the same price had 200000km on them, and they were a bit of a squeeze for me.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, I will try and keep it on its wheels!!

Richard
AnswerID: 489548

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 15:22

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 15:22
Just for guage, we sold a '06 Patrol (3ltr) with near 110,000 on her for 26 k easy 6 months back. It was the leather seat model, can't remember, SLS or was it SLX...dunno, anyway spoke to the new owner last week and has 145k km on her now and still traveling well.
AnswerID: 489608

Sponsored Links