Disco

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:13
ThreadID: 9651 Views:1939 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Off to look at a 1995 TDi Disco here in Perth

128Kms, TJM Bullbar, ARB suspension, ARB Air Comressor, Dual Batt, Snorkel, TJM Roofrack, etc, etc...

$15,500. Sound good? Apparently it has an oil leak or 2 that will need work over the next 6-12months. Has had the timing belt done at 80Kms. What else goes wrong with these after 128Kms? What do you all think? Thanks in advance...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:59

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:59
There is one model that has a problem with the front of the engine cover. The thing needs replacement, which is few $100 and annoyance, mate did one the other week as a backyarder(he worked for Websters in frankston for yrs). He had one and sold it, wasnt for him.

Wat do you intend to do with it? Towing, touring? Weekend warrior? etc...

redbook is a good place to check for values.

national average price - private sale* $14,400 - $17,600
price when new (RRP) $51,800

they seem to have dropped quite a bit in value their time!
AnswerID: 42525

Follow Up By: Poida4x4 - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:32

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:32
I'd like to set up a vehicle for some long adventures. The Gunbarrel and the CSR eventually. Will the Disco be able to handle these?
You may remember I posted a question on whether to poor money into my old, trusty Hilux or buy something newer to poor money into. Well this has all the things I wanted, and it's affordable where a Cruiser or a newer Hilux wouldn't have the same features for this price.
Thanks for the price advice, seems like it's fair, especially with the extras.
FollowupID: 304946

Reply By: Poida4x4 - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:25

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:25
Wow, it was so much nicer to cruise in than my old Hilux. (The Hilux feels tougher though). The oil leaks were from where the prop shaft met the transfer case (I think, I'm not too mechanically savvy) and between the gearbox and transfer case. Looks pretty involved to fix.
Is this seeping a problem? Will it get worse? How much to fix it?
Everything else seemed pretty nice. Needs new tyres but has pretty much all the accessories I was intending on putting on my Hilux.
I'm really keen to see what you guys have to say about this. Some of the stuff I've read about Disco's hasn't been all that encouraging, but then some has. Do you think it's a good deal? I have to decide pretty quick because there is competition for it... Thanks
AnswerID: 42534

Follow Up By: Poida4x4 - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:28

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:28
Also, how do they go off-road? From things I've read they seem OK, didn't have as much clearance as the hilux but more control..
FollowupID: 304945

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:45

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:45
will sh*t on the hilux off-road - far superior wheel articulation front and rear. And even though they look daintier than a lux, they're actually quite tough under that body and definitely have a tougher front diff than the lux.

Oil weeps aren't a problem and if it's not requiring top-ups of tranny fluid in between changes, does it matter.

Discos are very comfortable tourers and rarely 'fail to proceed' - it's just that they have more (but still not many) small niggly faults than a Patrol or Cruiser.

My 93 tdi Disco has done 250Kk and my housemates has done 400Kk - both still on original main mechanicals (apart from routine clutch and timing belt replacements of course...)
FollowupID: 305021

Reply By: haze - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 09:48

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 09:48
I have a 97build tdi (bought new jan. 98) now 130k.,no problems ie failures or bits falling off. Replaced the timing belt at 90k, the old one looked like new! The early (think to end 96) 300tdi did have some issues with the belt slewing off the pulleys, this was fixed by a different bracket on the injection pump (if the mounting studs to the pump go through what look like bushes its been updated) Internally ie, in the timing case, the change is the belt locating flanges are now on the crankshaft pulley (previously on the idler) and the idler fixing changed. This was a LR recall modification. Mine did develop a leak at the rear diff. at about 100k. Replaced with stock Bearing Spares seal ($4.50) in 2hrs. Does have a very slight weep from the flywheel drain hole. A weakness does exist in the power steering to the extent that if you keep it on full lock for an extended time it will cause overpressure and leak. (the book warns about this)
As an "out of the box" vehicle it more than holds its own against any other unmodified 4wd in offroad driving. (but dont forget to engage the centre difflock!) And if your concerned about its strength, compare the underneath with any other similar sized unit. I know nothings perfect, but very happy with mine, especially its fuel economy.
In case this all reads like a bit of landy bias, I also own a 97, 75 series cruiser which I also happen to think for its intended use is brilliant. Horses for courses!
hope this some help haze
AnswerID: 42547

Reply By: brian - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:09

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:09
Podia the reason these vehicles appear cheap is because vast numbers of owners have had multiple problems over the years.When i had 95 model disco even the service dealer advised me that warrenty repairs on discos was higher than just about anything else.
Not bagging the product just a statement of the populations general experience,the same as the feeling that gq transmissions are just about bulletproof.This is the general perception.
Oil leaks yes this happens all the time.
Off road they are really great.

Remember if insurers,banks and the public think it is worth less than rivals there is obviously reasons and when you resell later what will it be worth then.

If you are able take it for a test drive stop at another dealer and ask if he would buy it or trade it,the answer might be usefull.
Haveing said that if you get a really good one im sure you will be very satisfied
AnswerID: 42551

Reply By: Jonty - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 16:54

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 16:54
Poida4x4,
We own a '98 Tdi and are very happy with it. Like all vehicles maintenance is the key. Problems - power steering shaft sheared (flaw in metal) replaced by dealer.
We have done 150k it has been to Cape York via Starcke Track, Old Telegraph Track, pulling a camper trailer. Last Sept. we did a trip to Birdsville, climbed Big Red, did Strzlecki, Oodnadatta, Flinders Ranges and many other good drives. We also do a lot of beach work - Fraser Island, Bribie Island, Great Sandy Beach (Coolum) and all with no mechanical problems. Mine has a slight leak between gear box and transfer case, but uses no oil. Will be expensive to rectify (labour costs) If it has a rubber universal joint by rear diff, replace it with a solid one if you are intending to do any heavy off-road or towing. Used to go through 2 a year until I replaced it.
Hope this helps with your decision.
Cheers,
Jonty
AnswerID: 42594

Reply By: d.b. - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:23

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:23
Just picked up a new td5 disco on new years eve. 8o klms down the road the trans started to thump through gears (auto). Solinoids and valve bank need replacing. Apart from that the off road and on road abillity is excellent. Much better than my 2000 hilux.
AnswerID: 42651

Reply By: Member - Alan- Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:33

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:33
I had a '96 300 Tdi Auto and it was good. Comfortable, economical and reliable.
I had driveline leaks at one time but ARB changed the seals and had no further probs. with them.
There can be trouble with the tensioner on the serpentine belt but I changed mine in about 1.1/2 hrs.
In 4 years and around 80000 klms. the most expenive thing was the heater core splitting and that was a pig of a thing to change as it's in behind the dash and aircon pipes.
The worst thing was missing out on Land Rover paying for the modification to the timing belt. Bastards.
I enjoyed the vehicle and now have a Defender Td5.
AnswerID: 42661

Sponsored Links