Barrett 950 HF Problem

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 22:35
ThreadID: 9652 Views:4971 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I had just installed this radio and everything worked great for a whole day in the driveway...Then whilst driving along for the first time it was autotuning perfectly then it started to autotune fail intermittently and then all the time... Now it wont work at all... I pulled apart every plug through the whole system and rechecked every earth and still not working... I can still hear the weathers and the local operator but autotune failing everytime i try it.....?????????????????????

Any ideas??????????????___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 23:48

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 23:48
Assuming you have programmed your Barrett 950 to 'Auto Tune' and all your connections are made properly, it has to be a fault in your computer board inside the auto tunning aerial. Have it tested at an HF radio dealerKing Edward River, Mitchell Plateau
VKS-737, ch 2, sel. 2131
AnswerID: 42528

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:29

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:29
Hi George,

Just interested to know more about these antenas. You mention they ghave a computer board inside. They sound interesting.

Leroy
FollowupID: 304962

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 18:20

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 18:20
Right on George.... Had it tested today and something was wrong with the relay on the board......

Regards..___________________________________

Reply By: Member - Peter- Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:28

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:28
If it won't tune at all, could be a internal problem. If it is slow or will only tune on high or low frequencies I would be chasing an earthing problem with either the antenna or the transmitter. I gather you have checked the continuity of the coax?
Where is the antenna mounted? If it is on a bullbar check that there is BARE metal between the bullbar and the chassis when bolting the bullbar on, there should also be a good clean connection between the radio base and bullbar as well as the braided earth strap from the antenna to the body of the vehicle. If yo have the antenna mounted on a rear tyre carrier the same earthing requirements apply as the door or swingout carriers are never earthed sufficiently.
NEVER connect the braided strap or the negative wire from the transmitter to the negative terminal of the battery. If you lose/have a poor connection to the battery the radio and/or antenna will provide the return path for cranking amps, exit one radio or antenna, NOT covered by warranty. Only connect the negative power lead to the body where the battery lead is terminated.
AnswerID: 42541

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:10

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:10
I agree with Peter, earthing is most important on the HF, good earth also helps to reduce static noises.
As far as your computer board inside the aerial base is concerned, I would leave that up to the experts to check, unless you have the equipment to do the checking. However, there are several small bolts around the base of the either white or grey aerial base. If you undo these the base section will lift off and give access to the computer boardKing Edward River, Mitchell Plateau
VKS-737, ch 2, sel. 2131
FollowupID: 304967

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:47

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:47
Peter, with my radio installations in my vehicles I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
â
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 305082

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:54

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:54
Sorry fat/fast fingers.

I've always run the negative supply line to the battery and fused it. Prevents the negative connection floating above RF ground and introducing RFI. The capacitance of the battery also aids in the supression of RFI being conducted along the supply wiresI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
â
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 305083

Reply By: Member - Peter- Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:23

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:23
George be very surprised that there is anything wrong with the board, they very rarely play up unless it has already been subjected to high current flows per my last post.
Might be worthwhile powering the transmitter down and reconnecting it, as long as all ground/earth connections are ok and coax checks out ok.
also make sure eath.ground lead is connected to rear of transmitter and a good ground inside the vehicle as they quite often won't tune if the transmitter isn't grounded properly.
Having installed many Barretts and Codan's in lots of different vehicles 99% of problems are ground and cable probs
AnswerID: 42567

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:35

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:35
Voxson,

I know of three new Barretts fitted in the last 12 months that had "autotune failure" problems, but these problems were immediate. The aerials were at fault. Seems alike a bad batch slipped through. Sounds like a trip down to Electric Bug.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 42571

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 18:24

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 18:24
Maybe mine was another one of that bad batch... It worked for a while and then went intermittent and then nothing......... It has been confirmed today that the antenna electronics are giving the hassles...___________________________________

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 15:47

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 15:47
Hi Voxson
I had a problem with the Barrett 950, was check by Basrrett Dealer who replaced the antenna cable from the radio to the antenna. Apparently there was a load of antenna cable that was faulty. Also it is critical to have a good earth. Our antenna is attached to the camper and we had to run an extra earth from the antenna tuna to the chassis of the vehicle. It was amazing how much quicker the auto tune worked
Regards Ray VKS 737 Victor 2010wanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
AnswerID: 42591

Reply By: landie - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 13:21

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 13:21
Voxson

I have posted on my experience on a couple of occasions.

I have a 950 unit with auto tune antenna. It was purchased new and installed correctly. From the outset I had problems with the auto-tune failing. After trouble-shooting every possible combination of the unit we changed the antenna for another one, which subsequently fail after about 10 minutes or so. This was consistent with the original unit. The batch number for both of these units was within 100 of each other. Whilst not an expert on HF radios, the fact that they failed consistently after 10 minutes of tuning suggests a possible heat issue.

In the end we swapped it for another antenna, which was nowhere near the batch numbers as the first two, and it has never failed once.

Barrett were alerted to this. To me, it looks like a component problem and many may not even be aware their unit has a problem. The problem only manifested itself after about 10/15 minutes of auto-tuning.

Hope this helps.

Landie
AnswerID: 42665

Reply By: Darren - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:08

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:08
My Barrett 950 / 910 works fine on its whip antenna, but when using the "SupaRod" antenna supplied by ElectricBug in Adelaide it will not AutoTune to 11 meg on VKS737 network ... Must admit the SupaRod Antenna all 9meteres of it really pulls marginal signals from the mud ...

I tried the same antenna on another Barrett 950 / 910 and it works 100 %

Iv'e checked earthing and the like ... maybe I might sunscribe to the "bad batch" theory.

Cheers

Darren

VKS-737 Sierra 4370
AnswerID: 44841

Sponsored Links