Oodnadatta track to Alice Springs, also Simpson Desert

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 14:07
ThreadID: 96530 Views:2503 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi anyone doing the Centre 'round about now. We're heading off on Saturday. Oodnadatta, Maree, Ulura etc, Alice. Then back across The Simpson. We're towing a camper trailer ( not off-road). can anyone give current conditions? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Yabby - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 15:52

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 15:52
Gidday Ann, I traveled down the Oodnadatta Track end of March, Road was pretty good back then, Dont think there has been much rain since, some of the Washout's, Creek crossings were a little rough, but, we had no problems. We towed a 5x4 Box trailer with a rooftopper on that and a boat on top of that. You could contact 'The PINK Roadhouse', at Oodnadatta, They have a great little 'Mud Map' Of the track with points of interest.I enjoyed our trip down there. Make sure you have a stone guard for the trailer, We broke the mates (Brand NEW) Gu Patrol back window 40% side, $700 later he still isn't happy.. lol, but thats the bush, Gotta Love It!!!!
AnswerID: 489531

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:01

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:01
Hi Ann,

Your non-offroad trailer should be fine on the Oodnadatta track if you drive carefully. But on the Simpson?? regardless of what the "road" (ie track) conditions are like, given that trailers of any sort are strongly discouraged on the Simpson tracks. Suggest check conditions at Mt Dare before setting out across the Simpson.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489532

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:09
We towed a 23ft caravan from Marree to William creek and across to Coober Pedy without any problems. The caravan is not an off roader type,all we did was block off all air vents and the air vent on the door and let about 15 psi out of the tyres, and kept the speed down to about 80 kph. This was at the end of May and the roads were in pretty good condition. There are some wonderful sights and camping spots along the track. Have fun and enjoy.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489533

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 18:13

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 18:13
We operate camper trailer tours and I can strongly suggest you do not take a "Not off road camper trailer" across the Simpson. If you have no sand driving experience then you are asking for trouble. The only way we take clients across the Simpson with an off road CT is once they have completed our sand driving course and our sand towing course

Regardless of which tracks you take and you would not contemplate towing even an off road camper trailer in the Simpson without backup

I suggest the ranger at Dalhousie Springs will check your Desert Parks pass and be quite interested in your thoughts on crossing the Simpson as you have described

Current road conditions are found by googling "outback road closures"

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 489543

Reply By: ann40 - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:51

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:51
Thanks to all members that replied. great site, great bunch of people willing to help out with comments. We do have 2 other vehicles travelling with us. have had some sand driving experience, BUT.....we're not about to do anything silly. The 40th anniversary cruiser, we've had from new, now has 80,000 ks. (stone-chips bring a tear to the eye) The trailer purposly built, extra strong, with camper. Did Birdsville 3 year ago, with no trouble, and appreciate the terrain we'll be travelling. Will take notice of all conditions we're told about, and make decisions accordingly.
Thanks everyone.
AnswerID: 489591

Sponsored Links