Rear lights for GU patrol

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 09:53
ThreadID: 9657 Views:1805 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to have the upper rear lights in my 2003 GU patrol made so they actually work!! I cannot understand why Nissan didn't have make them operational in the first place. Can anyone tell me where I might get this done? I am in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Local Nissan dealer quoted $280.00. Thanks to everyone for a great forum and web site.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AndrewX - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:04

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:04
CAn't help with someone to do it but it's a good idea. My 97 and 98 Prados had all lights working but my new one 2003 only has the top ones. Something to do with design rules I imagine though can't imagine why. Also don't understand the logic of using the lower ones as surely the higher ones are much more visible. Saw one the other day who had converted but must have used the wrong globes as the top two looked like stop lights while the bottom ones were only glowing in comparison so be sure to get the right wattage!
AnswerID: 42549

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:34

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:34
I cannot understand why Nissan didn't have make them operational in the first place.

ADR's.

www.offroadshop.com.au sell the arab spec lights, but they dont meet the ADRs.

Why you could waste hard earned on them ...?
FollowupID: 304999

Reply By: goldfinder - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:16

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:16
I believe it's to do with the Australian Design Rules. The rear lights must be seen from certain anles at certain distances and the spare wheel mounted on the door breaks these rules so the lights were mounted in the bumper to get around the problem. They should have made the top lights operational as well for the extra few cents it would have cost unless the ADR's stated the couldn't be operational?
I also have a 2003 GU and am considering hooking up the lights for the extra visibility but will probably look at doing it myself.
AnswerID: 42553

Reply By: Member - Slim - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:21

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:21
The reason for alternative placing of tail lights is related to visibility problems when you place a spare wheel on the back of the vehicle. From some angles a vehicle following can not see brake lights indicators and so on. When placed in the new position they should be visible. The only reason they don't connect the other set also is related to cost. I'm surprised that the dealer is prepared to do them for $280 as the fitted unit is sometimes only a blank and you find a purchase of a lens or reflector these days will usually mean buying the complete tail light assembly!

Regards,

Slim
AnswerID: 42554

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 11:29

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 11:29
macandjen,
At $280 to do this very simple job, you are being skinned alive!!
Push-in globe holders (single & double contact) are available for a few dollars each, & all you need to do is cut the appropriate size hole thru the rear of the light assembly (after removing the unit, of course)... Approx. 22mm from memory...
The wiring for these lights is already there, so with the aid of a circuit tester to find each circuit, you simply splice into the relevant wire, & BINGO!!

I have done this with my '99 model, but as everybody would know, there is no provision for indicators with these (+ only 1 poxy reverse light), & I'd like to "upgrade" to the later Series3 units, so if anyone knows where these are available at a sensible price, I'd like to know about it...

Regards, Ed. C.Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand............
Not necessarily mechanic!!"
AnswerID: 42563

Reply By: crowie - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:15

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:15
Macandjen

Nissan do have a replacement rear light kit which is probably what you have been quoted for. I did have an email with the part number and you may find it in the archives of this forum. These are intended as a total replacement for your existing lights which you may be able to sell to someone wishing to fix a damaged vehicle. You can fit the new ones your self or have someone do it for you.

I have always thought it rediculious that Nissan has continued to use the rear bumper to fit the taillights. There are no ADR's to prevent the use of the body mounted lights. I have several friends who have converted to the new ones and they are certainly easier to see particulary the turn indicators if someone is tailgating you.
AnswerID: 42565

Follow Up By: crowie - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:23

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:23
Macanjen

Search in this forum using "Nissan & Lights" between 01.01.2003 and 30.12.03. You will find some useful information without everyone repeating themselves. It incudes thoughts on fitting and wiring requirements.

Crowie
FollowupID: 304969

Reply By: 10 Para- Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 13:50

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 13:50
Have done mine got the auto elec to do while he was doing other work so don't know what they cost he did rear light and stop lights and did not take long at all, i have found out that if you are towing then you will need to up your fuse from 10amp to 15 amp as the extra lights just keep blowing the 10amp fuse or that is what has happen to me.
RegardsHome For Xmas
AnswerID: 42582

Reply By: macandjen - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 21:20

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 21:20
Thanks everyone for all the assistance...and in one day too!! I will make the appropriate enquiries with those threads and from the other responses.

Ta again.
AnswerID: 42608

Reply By: ROLANDE - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:36

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:36
macandjen,
From previous threads of those who have completed, believe the flasher can may need upgrading as well as the fuse to keep working the extra lights, I think it has to do with hazard lights when all flashing. Check Nissan_GU_Patrol in Yahoo! Groups, guy there has photo's and all published. Can anyone tell me whether it is as easy as described above on a Series 1 GU? The guy in Yahoo! imported a new set of lights, with wiring, around $500.00
Rolande
AnswerID: 42618

Sponsored Links