Engine immobilisers - GU Patrol

Submitted: Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 15:02
ThreadID: 96573 Views:7502 Replies:1 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I've got a 2004 GU 4.2TDi and the totally sealed immobiliser unit on the fuel pump failed yesterday. Just as well we were in the local shopping centre and not the middle of the desert somewhere! I'm getting it fixed but does anyone know if it's possible how to get the vehicle going again if the same thing happens in a remote area? Could be a very expensive tow or at least a very time wasting exercise waiting for a tow . Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 18:10

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 18:10
The 4.2 TDI doesn't have a fuel pump, the only fuel pump is a transfer pump between the sub and the main tank. I assume the immobilizer is on the starting system. The RACQ or NRMA may know their way around this problem. Maybe a Nissan Dealer could get around this. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489692

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 18:29

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 18:29
Michael,
Not sure about your facts but my 4.2td and every other diesel engine I have seen has a fuel pump or if you would rather call it a injector pump. I think Ian may be talking about a immobiliser which is connected to the injector pump and has a flashing red light on the dash. I am also interested to hear others solutions to this problems maybe Ian could post this on the Patrol Forum. Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 764815

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 20:06

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 20:06
Michael,

The 4.2TDI does have an injector pump of course but it is totally mechanical and is gear driven from the engine so it cant be isolated. So it must have some kind of electronic lockout of the starting system. I can remove the chip from the key and find out i guess! Michael!!

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 764828

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 21:15

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 21:15
Hi, sorry, maybe my terminoligy is wrong..I'm no mechanic!!! It's probably an injector pump....it does control the fuel and without the 'black box' working which is physically attached to the pump, the engine will turnover but won't start. Thanks for the feedback and it's a good idea of Mick's to place it on the Patrol Forum too. I'll do that tomorrow. The pump has to be removed to replace the immobilser so there is a bit of labour costs in there too. I'll let you know if anything positive comes from the Patrol Forum.
Cheers
Ian
FollowupID: 764842

Follow Up By: donk - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 21:16

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 21:16
TD42T'si have a componant called a CSOLU on the injector pump covering the fuel shut off solenoid to stop fuerl flow through the pump if the NATS System doesn't recognise a valid key in the ignition

If it is like a landcruiser worse case is you could smash the CSOLU off the pump (made of a hard plastic like material & held on with shear bolts) and run a power wire the the shut off solenoid to get it running

TD42T'si have a fair bit of electronics on the engine mainly for emmisions control but apart from the immobiliser i dont think any of it will stop the engine from running if it fails

Regards Don
FollowupID: 764844

Follow Up By: donk - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 21:25

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 21:25
The componants of the immobiliser system are the key,the antenna the reads the chip in the key,the module that controls the system and thre csolu that shuts the fuel off

Regards Don
FollowupID: 764845

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 21:37

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 21:37
Don , Thats interesting, i stand corrected i thought it would be via another area! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 764846

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 22:03

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 22:03
Hi Ian,
I asked the question on the Patrol forum and got a detailed answer with a diagram which will back up Dons reply. Have a quick look it should help as it has me also. This is the best thing about these forums, we can all learn. Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 764848

Follow Up By: Member - *Rusty* - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 22:24

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 22:24
Hi All,

We had the same problem a few months ago on our 2006 TD42Ti. We took it to Aussie Fuel Injection and said he'd never seen it on a Patrol before but had seen it on every second cruiser. The fix was drill a hole and bridge it permanently. The other option was to replace the unit but it involved a lot of work which would of been costly.

Our car is fitted with an after market imobiliser so did not cause any secrity issues.

Hope this helps - let me know if you wan more info.
FollowupID: 764850

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:16

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:16
Thanks again veryone. All your help is appreciated. Michael, I read the Patrol forum notes and the problem is just as described. I've got 2 choices. 1) replace the immobiliser and hope the new one doesn't fail in teh middle of no-where or 2) replace the immobilsier with a solenoid which CAN be repaired but doesn't immobilse the vehicle. Choise # 1 is much more expensive so I think for reliability alone, I'll go for #2 and get a solenoid and maybe look for an aftermarket immobilser which I can bypass if nessary.
Thanks,
Ian
FollowupID: 764863

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:49

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:49
Ian! I'm glad you got to the bottom of it.I have learnt something today! I think the chances of a new unit failing is very slim. Think of all the newer vehicles with miles of electronics all over the engine, i think in general they are fairly reliable! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 764896

Sponsored Links