Comment: Satellite Phone

Hi All I just learnt the hard way with calling a satellite from a landline,our friends were doing the Canning Stock Route and we decided to give them a ring. The number started with 0011**** which is the international code and anyway we spoke for approximately 14 minutes over 3 phone calls and the Telstra bill came and it cost $19:95 per minute and the total was $279, I was straight on the line to the Telstra help centre and they took $179 without to much drama. I would possible try SKYPE as an alternative to using the land line.It pays to check your charges before ringing the Satellite phone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 09:22

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 09:22
G'day Mark,
my satellite hire phones use the pivotel iridium service (same iridium satellites as telstra uses) but their call charges are much cheaper than most other sat. services & pivotel you only pay one direction. see call charges here, my hire phones are on the $35 plan, http://www.pivotel.com.au/iridium_plans.html
it pays to shop around. hoo roo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489732

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 09:41

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 09:41
Mark Hi,
Telstra have the higher call rate to non Telstra sat phones the same as they do for mobiles. I have the Isat pro sat phone that also attracts the $19.95 PM rate.
To over come this my family/friends email my sat phone at nil cost to them or me, then I call them back at my convenience which costs me approx 80 cents per minute or part of. I know that is not going to suit most but works for me.

Mike.
AnswerID: 489734

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:40

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:40
Mike, All
We have an Isat pro sat phone, how do family and friends email your phone?

Have only used the phone for test callls.

What is involved with receiving/sending SMS's and the cost.

Thanks
FollowupID: 764902

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:39

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:39
Hi Peter

Here is the link for your free SMS messages sent via the Internet.

Free SMS Message

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 764921

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 16:45

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 16:45
Peter,
Sorry about the delay in returning.
My prepaid service is with inmarsat & I can only quote on their procedures. The email is sent to sat phone# @ service provider EG 87077642XXXX@message.inmarsat.com then up to160characters.
Hope that helps and you can follow.
Mike.

FollowupID: 765000

Follow Up By: Gado - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:22

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:22
We do same as Mike, friends and family can send a short e-mail message to our satphone (free) and we can either text back (about 50c) or ring them back from our prepaid Isatphone (about 80c/min). We leave ours turned off most of the time when travelling and turn it on to check messages once or twice a day.

Cheers, Gado
FollowupID: 765011

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 14:25

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 14:25
Same here as Michael with the Isatphone. Emails out to the grandkids to show our location each day to track us and free emails in to say if we need to actually call them and talk. But other than that we do not use the phone. Anything else can wait until we get home. No news is good news with our mob.

Cheap as chips.
FollowupID: 765103

Reply By: Member - Berylvt - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:12

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:12
Is there any advantage to the sat phone over Spot Connect? Seems to me the sat phone is more expensive and does not have emergency functions. Of course you can talk but at a cost....
AnswerID: 489737

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:19

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:19
If you don't know the difference between a spot and a satellite phone maybe you should do a bit of research....... both have their benefits but I would sooner have a satellite phone over spot.

A few years ago we have a very close family member take ill when we were away in the desert...... we got a call on our satellite phone telling us and by have a satellite phone we could keep updated both ways...... in the end this person passed away and we were able to cut our trip short be 3 days to make it home for the funeral....... you can't do that with a spot!

Missing the funeral would of been something we would of had to live with for the rest of our lives.

With a satellite phone we can still call someone in a case of an emergency plus we can obtain instructions of what to do to help ....... it very reassuring to speak to a professional able to give advise in an emergency.

FollowupID: 764881

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 13:09

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 13:09
Been thinking of the same thing.

I have SPOT v1 and have considered the CONNECT option.
I have read that people have had some issues connecting to the CONNECT device with their IPHONES etc.

I do not have a SAT PHONE..

It does cost money to RUN SPOT, depending on the options chosen. I have the tracking option which is great for family and friends to follow where you are. But it costs a $160 per year. The CONNECT device in OZ is over $200 as well. Make it nearly half way to a sat phone

The CONNECT device would be good if it worked by itself, I think it may have the SOS button but nothing else.

I like the idea of CONNECT and is a possibility if you have SPOT already but if starting from scratch a SAT PHONE, in my opinion is more flexible and may be my next purchase when I start travelling.

FollowupID: 764979

Follow Up By: Member - Berylvt - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 16:36

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 16:36
Rich, yes the Spot connect has it's own independent SOS button (life threatening emergency). I think the ability to send Text messages takes it a quantum leap up from the earlier Spots.

Do you know if. Sat phone can send your co-ordinates in an emergency? And who do you phone? In other words can it act as an emergency beacon?

FollowupID: 764999

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:05

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:05
Berylvt,
Not that I know, others may comment on that but agree with the idea of being able to send messages.

as mentioned I have SPOT 1 and got it for the reasons you state. It was obvious at that time there were some limitations and when I heard about the connect option I was very close to going that way but the cost of it and some bad reviews put me off. You can buy it a lot cheaper from EBAY or overseas though. I don't know if there is Amy difference in the devices if purchased overseas compared with local ones or not.

In my case a SAT PHONe with the SPOT 1 seems to be the best option, I can always tell them my coordinates over the phone as well as setting off SPOT and being able to just talk to someone could be very useful. With SPOT you have to preprogram who you send the messages to and you are limited on the number of these. This is not the case with a phone.
It is also hard to determine if your message gets through or not with the SPOT 1.
Probably the same with EPERBs but I guess they have a much better proven track record.

In saying this I have been involved in a scenario where SPOT was used to notify people of a problem resulting in a rescue. Not a critical situation just a HELP being sent out.

If you go with. Te connect let us know how you find it.

Rich

FollowupID: 765004

Follow Up By: Gado - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:58

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:58
Our prepaid Isatphone will find our GPS location and then it gives an option to text it to anyone for 50c. We do this daily to a family member - they can look up the location on google maps.

Cheers, Gado
FollowupID: 765014

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:09

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:09
Funny you should say that.... when ever there has been a thread about satellite phones I have always made mention of the high cost of phone a satellite phone and it always feel on deaf ears.

It seems it is more important to most the cost of the outgoing call from the satellite phone that in whole is not much difference from one provider to another.

This was the main reason we went with the Pivotel's Iridium service....... calls to our satellite phone are the same as calling a standard mobile phone...... out going calls from our satellite phone are about 90 cents per minute.

Maybe some people may sit up and listen.

Maybe people who have friends satellite number might think twice about ringing them.

AnswerID: 489758

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:36

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:36
I have several sat phones.
I treat them as an emergency tool.
I couldn,t care less if the call cost me thousands in a real emergency. Its the price we pay for safety and convenience. If you want to make unnecessary calls thats up to you. Your paying. This obsession some people have with being in constant contact with someone, even when they are in a remote area and on holidays, is hard to fathom. Some people spend tens of thousands on a car, will blow tyres at $300 a pop in rugged areas, buy the latest and greatest gps/mapping programmes for their must have, laptops in the car, yet whinge about a service that is extremely important for remote travel.
I thought it was common knowledge that anything to do with a satphne could be expensive.

Deaf ears might be right olcoolone..not doing their homework can prove costly.
cheers
FollowupID: 764883

Follow Up By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:41

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:41
The other option is to use your sat phone as we do - voice calls for emergency only. Keeping in touch and for general 'chit-chat' we use SMS @ 50c a pop.

Tim
FollowupID: 764884

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:20

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:20
Bigfish..... READ MY POST BEFORE COMMENTING.....my post made no real comment about making outgoing calls, it was to do with incoming calls to a satellite phone....... you know you give a friend the satellite phone number and one night they decide to call for a chat and see how things are going...... only to find they got charged $$$ for a short call.

We receive more incoming calls on our satellite phone with some being diverted from our business....... so I am paying for the incoming call.

We treat ours as a business tool.

I don't really care what you think people should or shouldn't do as it had nothing to do with the original post.

People can do what they want.

Any thing else you think people shouldn't have??????
FollowupID: 764910

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:30

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:30
I didnt say you made an outgoing call!!
I was talking about the cost of using a sat phone. Incoming and outgoing..its all cost.
I wasn,t the one whinging...you were.

Deaf ears???
FollowupID: 764919

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:15

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:15
What are you on about..... and who's whinging?
Have you got me confused with the person who started this thread?
Where did I say I'm annoyed with the call cost?

"It seems it is more important to most the cost of the outgoing call from the satellite phone that in whole is not much difference from one provider to another.

This was the main reason we went with the Pivotel's Iridium service....... calls to our satellite phone are the same as calling a standard mobile phone...... out going calls from our satellite phone are about 90 cents per minute. "

NOTE my mention about calls to our satellite phone.

And what's this deaf ears stuff?

FollowupID: 764945

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:11

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:11
Sorry mate. I was meant to be talking about Mark 03,s original post. My bad.
cheers
FollowupID: 765005

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 14:14

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 14:14
Arrrh.... thought something strange...... thats cool!
FollowupID: 765102

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:23

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:23
I have a satellite phone but I struggle with the settings, so I hope someone qualified will comment on this.

Twenty bucks a minute sounds a bit dear. A dollar a minute is more like it.

Mark mentions the international number. I'm think a couple of people have their satellite phones set up for international roaming.

I travel alone on a quadbike in remote areas where nobody will come by in a fourby in the next 12 months, so I phone in my coordinates each evening at 7.00pm.

Last trip I had a few good chats with my wife and when I got home she told me the longest one cost 30 bucks. Well, 30 bucks for a half hour chat with my wife is money well spent in the circumstances, I reckon. But 20 bucks a minute! Nah! Something wrong here, Fellas.
AnswerID: 489786

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 13:00

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 13:00
It all depends on what provider you use.... many of the cheap plans are overseas based...... meaning if you call from your landline/mobile someone's satellite phone who uses one of these cheap services the chances are you are paying for an international satellite call and yes upwards of $20 per minute is not unusual.

Cheap services are mostly the ones where you buy a prepaid airtime.

The call costs are charged by your landline/mobile provider.

If you have a Telstra Iridium satellite phone and you phone that satellite phone from a Telstra landline....... you may only pay $2.00 per minute.

If you have a Telstra Iridium satellite phone and you phone that satellite phone from a Optus landline....... you may be pay $8.00 per minute.

If you have an Iridium satellite phone on an overseas provider and you phone that satellite phone from a Telstra or Optus landline....... you may be paying over $20.00 per minute.

FollowupID: 764974

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:50

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:50
I called the old mans Inmarsat phone from my land line.....$15 per minute. He rings me from his Inmarsat phone.....$2 per minute.
Rang his Inmarsat phone from my mobile.....$2.15 per minute.
Go figure!
Spat the dummy at my land line phone provider, and when I showed them this, they dropped it to $2 per minute and recredited my account.
My very well known land line phone service provider is a crook.
BW.
AnswerID: 489792

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:48

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:48
Bush Wanderer, All
Am trying to workout the cheapest way for Family/Friends to phone my Sat phone, some will use email/sms but the Talk side?. Is your mobile a Telstra one for the $2.15 a minute.

I have one of those cards that allow cheap calls to the US etc etc ie 1 or 2 cents a minute, you dial a number indicate that you want to talk in English and then dial the international number. has anybody used such a card to call the Inmarsat phone and at what cost?

Peter

FollowupID: 764965

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 13:04

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 13:04
Peter have a look at the Pivotel Iridium service...... calls to your satellite phone are charged as if it was a normal Australian based mobile phone...... under $1 a minute.

http://www.pivotel.com.au/pivoteladvantage.html
FollowupID: 764975

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 19:17

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 19:17
olcoolone, All
Previously had a Pivotel Globalstar phone, getting on in years but no probs, had a vodaphone sim card and family on Telstra could call my Gstar phone for free during their my hour.

Having moved to a later handset on the Inmarsat Sat system and not an Iridium phone and does not have a sim card to my knowledge, hence the higher charges and why as a newbie am look at alternatives.

I am happy with the phone and my call charges for emergemcy use only, but its incoming call options.

Peter
FollowupID: 765022

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 14:42

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 14:42
Mark

You may not like this but ever since satellite phones were on the market it has been widely known that they cost heaps. Personally I would have asked the cost before ringing.

When we got our phone we only gave the number to our closest friends and immediate family. And we also sent them the following brief:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To call us on our satellite phone:
• If you are inside Australia: Dial 00118707764*****
• If you are outside Australia: Dial 008707764*****

To send us an SMS:
Send the SMS in the same way as you would to any phone. Just remember the cost will be higher than standard mobile to mobile SMS costs.

To send us an Email:
You can send an email to us for free at: 8707764*****@message.inmarsat.com.

Costs:
For YOU to call Us and actually call and speak to us YOU pay HEAPS for the Satellite phone call cost. It can be quite expensive at more than a dollar a minute. But remember we will most likely have the phone on only in the evening after about 7:30.

The cheapest way to get a message to us is to use an email. It's free for you lot but not us.

Note also that we cannot call “000” or any 1800 or 13 numbers from the satellite phone.

See you when we get home. DO NOT GIVE THE NUMBER TO ANYONE OTHER. The emergency mobs can have it whenever they ask or need it. No one else will ned it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be jumping on them a bit for not letting you know the costs when they told you the number.

I believe that the costs have gone up since I first drafted the above note. So I will have to update the brief. Of course I have deleted some private information and itinerary stuff from the brief and it is not as complete as the real printed one for the rellos.

So far since July 2011 we have made two very brief phone calls and sent about twenty GPS position emails and received about the same number of emails. As I said with our mob it's no news = good news.
AnswerID: 489952

Sponsored Links