Donuts - ST Maxx vs Toyo Open Country M/T

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 14:58
ThreadID: 96597 Views:7261 Replies:9 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

It must be at least 3 days since anyone's talked about donuts and I do have a question.

I went into the shop today quite prepared to buy 6 Open Country M/T donuts however the gentleman asked me if I had thought about S/T Maxx's. I hadn't really as Mick O had pretty well talked me into the Open Countrys. I had a look, the side walls are quite thick. So I ended up in a confused state and didn't buy anything.

Does anyone have an opinion on either of these two types of donuts based on actual experience?

The Maxx's are $390 and the Toyo's are $420 with a cash back deal.

Looking to be used mostly on stoney, gravelly tracks, some sand, with a bit of off road work, though not that much (OK - I do have my fingers crossed a little bit).

Happy if they last only for a couple of trips, about 25000kms would be Ok. I don't care about road noise, slipperiness in the wet or traveling more than 100 kmh on the blacktop. If they all disintegrated when I pull into my driveway when I'm finished with them then I'll be happy with that.

I know there are other flavours of donuts however only interested in these two.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:19

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:19
Both good tyres, but Coopers have not had a good run under me, I am looking at ProComp ATX next set
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 489764

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:44

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:44
Thanks Bonz

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764889

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:04

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:04
Equinox

That Bonz dude regularly eats Fruit Salad with tomato in it and that speaks for itself.

If you want to know about Maxx's, then talk to a Forum member called
John R (Vic) who has them on his 100 and tows the heaviest Bushtracker ever built over any sort of terrain that needs to be crossed or accessed.

He by the way also personally knows the above 'Tomato based' Fruit Salad eater.

DD
FollowupID: 764906

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:11

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:11
Yep John R has them and so too another mate here who does my spanner work. He reckons they r good too. Me? I am going for the Procomps next time. And yep I know tomatos are fruit but am wise enough not to put them into fruit salad
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764907

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:25

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:25
Bonz

I personally would not buy anything with "Pro Comp" written on it.

I think it means "yiddish" for CRAP !
be Carefull
Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 764947

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:39

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:39
Don't know what part of them are "Pro Comp"

WARRANTY WHAT IS NOT COVERED

1) Adjustments will not be made for a tyre which becomes unserviceable due to: Conditions resulting from road hazards, such as (A) impact damage, (B) cuts, (C) snags, or (D) punctures.

2) Conditions resulting from (A) improper installation, (B) wheel misalignment, or (C) tyre/wheel assembly imbalance.

3) Conditions resulting from consumer damage, such as: (A) improper tyre and vehicle maintenance, (B) misuse, (C) abuse, (D) accidents.

4) Ride complaints after the first 10% of tread wear.

5) Use in any commercial, racing, or off-road application.

I love the last one.......

We looked at Pro Comps and the Toyo's..... the Toyo's one size down weighed nearly 6Kg more.
FollowupID: 764950

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 21:01

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 21:01
Yeh mate, that Bonz dude has marmalade with his sausages too. Preferably ginger marmalade.

Yes, have Cooper ST Maxx on after two sets of Maxxis Bighorns. They are quieter, but according to a local, you can still hear us coming from several hundred metres away. They had a good rap from our tyre dealer, hence the reason to buy them. I had the option of waiting a month for them, but fortunately the rep found a set in a showroom. Perhaps, not quite as open as the Bighorns, but seem good.

That Dusty Demon says about our heavy Bushtracker, but it is one hell of a lot lighter than his Jayco Space Station (aka Base Station) with all the junk he carries in it. It needs a V8 to pull it.
FollowupID: 765155

Reply By: Member - Barry B (WA) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:20

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:20
Donuts-Driver Orientated New Ultimate Tyre Science-Sorry,couln'nt resist.
An ex Tyre person
AnswerID: 489765

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:45

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:45
It seems everything has an Acronym these days :)

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764890

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:23

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:23
G'day Alan

I have no real experience with either of the tyres you mentioned, but a couple of mates run the Toyo M/T's and they seem to have had a reasonable run out of them, both mates are fairly avid off roaders and one of them drives his vehicle like he had just stolen it.

I had new tyres fitted to the Cruiser in May on my last trip to Perth, but these are possibly not everyone first choice when it comes to new tyres, simply because most folk live some where closer to suburbia.

I was some what surprised at the actual cost per tyre in Perth as opposed to tyre prices in Newman.

BFG KM2 Mud terrains 285 x 75 x 16 @ $390 each = Newman
BFG KM2 Mud terrains 285 x 75 x 16 @ $415 each = Perth !!

It seems like you just can't win some times.

I had to bight the proverbial bullet and by the tyres in Perth as the old KM2's were getting puncture prone at 67000 Km's and I was already nursing a TEK screw puncture from Bunbury.

Safe Travels :
AnswerID: 489766

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:51

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:51
Hi Joe,

Yes I know of at least 3 others who have had a "reasonable" run with the Toyo's.

Interesting about price difference compared to big regional towns compared to the city. It must work the other way as well because the gentleman today said he had one mining company just order 400 of the Maxx's.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764892

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:27

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:27
G'day Alan

Mining companies do some very odd things at times simply because the dollars are there and relatively easy to come by, so purchases of that magnitude are just normal to them.

Yes mate the difference in tyre prices was a bit of a bummer for me, because I bought two new tyres in Newman for the run south ~ in hind sight should have gone the whole hog at the one time and had all six fitted at home.

I actually bought the four KM'2s from Kal-tires in Red Cliff as they were the best priced out of Bob Jane and Midland Tyres, Murphy tyres had a two week wait for their shipment to clear customs at Fremantle.

Like you, I am chuffed at times to run a tour without destroying a tyre or puncturing a couple in the process, but I've never bought tyres just to wash them and keep the white lettering clean.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 764912

Reply By: Member Bushy 04(VIC) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:08

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:08
Equinox just fitted st maxx, after having st s for 100k best mileage I have had on a 4x4.
Very impressed as they seem quieter than the st on the road and off road they see very good so i would recommend them.
Cooper tyres seem to cop a bit of flak from the people who's brothers cousins best mates uncle had a friend that had them and they melted or something.

Mind you that is how I see some comments.
Bushy.
AnswerID: 489768

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:44

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:44
Hi Bushy,

My last few sets have been Cooper STT and I have nothing but praise for them, however time to take a risk and try something else.

Thanks for your opinion.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764922

Follow Up By: Member - 2000 Red Rodeo - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 22:48

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 22:48
Hi equinox

Same here previously had stat and wre happy with them. But this time have gone with the toyo mts. They have been great so far. On,y a few thousand Kim's so far

Regards
Geoff
FollowupID: 764935

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:35

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:35
Alan.

Put a set of Copper ST Maxx's on the Hilux about 7 weeks ago. (245/75/16).
Have done about 5000km on them with maybe half on dirt. Travelled to Fraser then came back aliong the Savannah Way. They are marginally noiser than the Duellers I had on previous. So far all good with no dramas.

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489770

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:19

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:19
Were you unhappy with the Duellers Greg? I ask as I have just replaced my Maxxis Bravos with a set of Duellers. Only got about 63000 km from the Bravos. I thought they would do better but when I got a second puncture in the RH front tyre which was then not repairable. So I bit the bullet and replaced them. Bob Jane was having an end of financial year sale so I got 4 with balancing and wheel alignment for $1,013. I thought that wasn't bad.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764899

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:46

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:46
Thanks Greg, sounds promising.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764923

Follow Up By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 21:42

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 21:42
Kevin,

I was happy with them overall with no problems.
Had two sets.First I changed over at 41500 with the next changed over to the Coopers at 37500. I changed over with about 25% to go on both sets. The ground out this way does wear them down more quickly than compared to bitumen-in my opinion. Each time I changed over was before a major trip so erred on the cautious side. The mileage is lower than the average. ( have heard duellers getting 60 plus)
I decided to go for the Cooper Maxx simply for the reason to give them a go.. So far they are doing well, but back to the duellers, I had no trouble with them and they saw a few mongrel tracks.
Had them aired at 36 all round no load and 36/38 with load for the bitumen. Dirt 28, load 28/30, sand 18 all round. I am doing the same with the Coopers. At 40 on the bitumen they just felt a bit to harsh. On holidays I travel with a camper trailer.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 764933

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:33

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:33
Hullo Alan
I had a set of 6 Toyo Open Country tyres on the Pajero and they still had 25% tread after 86 000 kms in all sorts of conditions from blacktop to high country tracks to outback SA/NT - never a puncture.
Now run either D694LTs or Toyo Open Country MTs on the cruiser depending on the terrain. Again blacktop, outback SA and the high country and never a puncture.
I was offered a set of Coopers for a free trial when I could not get the Toyos last year but turned that down based on comment by many who had had a very bad run with them. So I am biased (like everyone else :-)
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 489775

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:49

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:49
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that - I starting to think I may have to flick a coin :)

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764925

Follow Up By: Jeff P - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 00:18

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 00:18
dont flick the coin toyo's are the sh*t!!! hands down they are the tuffest tyre period, they dont even have advertise to sell unlike the other brand with their crappy warrenty
Jeff
FollowupID: 764940

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:10

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:10
Like Mick and John and Suzette and other friends who all use Toyo's and who we do remote travelling with we have had a good run out of the Toyo's are proven they are one of the toughest tyres out there.

They have very strong sidewalls and compared to the Coopers that we could get good side wall bulge at 20psi we found the Toyo's had to be aired down to at least 15psi for the same foot print.

Weigh a Cooper and then weigh a Toyo and see how much heavier the Toyo is...... that weight has to be somewhere.

We staked many Coopers but never a Toyo, Coopers are good tyres and the ST Maxx is one tyre we are looking at going to on our new Ranger for an everyday tyre.

We currently have MTZ's on our 200 series and hate them with a passion...... the Toyo's walked all over them but Toyo Australia don't bring in the size we need..... have to import from the USA.

Toyo is a bit of an under dog, have a look at tires 1010 for a Toyo review.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Toyo/Open+Country+M-T

AnswerID: 489779

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:52

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:52
Hi olcoolone,

Cheers for that, sometimes the underdog wins!!!

After reading the fine print of the cash back offer I've worked out it is actually $453 a donut, however trying not to be influenced by price.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764927

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:32

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:32
Alan the problem about seeking information from forums is everyone has a different idea about something....... some would class off road as driving down a unsealed road or the extreme side of driving down a farm track.

There is a big difference with what you, me, Mick, John and Suzette call off road driving to what others may call it.

Your main concern is that if you did get the Coopers and you had a flat or more you would have to put up with Mick and that mob saying "you should of got..... I told you so".

I think the Cooper ST Maxx would make a fantastic A/T type tyre but as for REAL off road applications I would hate to be the one to find out.

I'm sure the Coopers would be fine but there is known evidence of how good the Toyo's are and as for the Coopers......unknown.

The big problem with the Coopers is trying to get them, we were told mid to late August.
FollowupID: 764948

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:02

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:02
"Your main concern is that if you did get the Coopers and you had a flat or more you would have to put up with Mick and that mob saying "you should of got..... I told you so". "

Well that's the last thing I want...a winging Mick :)

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764959

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 01:47

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 01:47
Hi Alan

I will vote for toyos and have a set on now. Priced at $380 per tyre. Had to shop around and even got prices up to $460.

At $380 fitted I thought that was pretty good. I have also found them great on sand, plenty of grip on gravel and rock, and even good stopping power on black top all without lots of mud tyre noise.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489820

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:00

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:00
Thanks Serendipity, I think the "ayes" have it!!!!

I will make a few phone calls....

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764958

Follow Up By: stamps - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 15:05

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 15:05
Hi Serendipity, where did you purchase them from and what size are yours?

cheeers and all the best,
stamps
FollowupID: 764992

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:22

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:22
265 x 75 R16

Kelmscott Tyres in WA.

They had to order them in from ex east.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 765012

Follow Up By: stamps - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 18:07

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 18:07
Thank you sir
FollowupID: 765017

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 20:37

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 20:37
Allan

Firstly let me congratulate you on having the temerity of broaching such a controversial subject on this forum. I run STT'S and up until recently would never ever have considered anything else, however all good things come to an end and I need to forward plan for when they do.

In view of this, the forum collectively needs a 'Guinea Pig' to throw themselves headfirst into the 50/50 split on either ST MAXX's or TOYO DONUT's and you present as the perfect dude (guinea pig) to settle this once and for all.

I'm not fussed which one you pick, but make it quick, give them some stick and report back ASAP if we need to give them the flick.

DD

PS

It's going to take something very slick to induce me to change to those used by Mick and Rick

AnswerID: 489986

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:08

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:08
DD - I am really honored by your offer, really I am - however I cannot possibly test them in the short term. I have a month long trip to Cairns in November, and a desert trip next year.

Anyway - it is very hard to test different donuts on the same vehicle. Unless you constantly rotate them, which is quite an effort, you will not be able to compare donuts as their positions effect different conditions ie. left and right are different, as are back and front.

I guess we all could bench test them proper on a picnic table north of Perth somewhere, however will cost a bit of dough - need a few people lol...

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765158

Sponsored Links