Morons and that's being kind

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:33
ThreadID: 96601 Views:3676 Replies:11 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Heading back to Cairns last week, after a week out at Hughenden region, driving in heavy traffic behind a large semi truck, heading north on a single lane highway on a wet, overcast day. Sign on the left indicates overtaking lane in 2kms, look in mirror and see a brown landcruiser pull out several cars back and go for it......would have overtaken at least 10 vehicles at very high speed; it was hard to see what was coming in the other direction and many cars did not have headlights on. More stupidity.

All of a sudden a mass of brake lights as he/she had to force his/her way into a gap before he/she caused a massive collision. On the rear window they had the stickers that depict mum, dad, kids, farmyard on board.

Quite the most staggeringly stupid, ignorant and arrogant bit of driving I have ever seen, and there were 2 other instances throughout the trip home. I tried to follow and catch them in Cardwell but they had disappeared into another galaxy. More than a chat would have taken place.

One single mistake and there would have been multiple deaths. There is no teaching some folks despite all the horror shows we see on the news.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:56

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 16:56
100% behind you until you get to trying to catch them, Why put yourself and your family at risk trying to catch someone and then with the high incidence of road rage where people even kill in road arguments you put yourself at further risk if you do catch up. Now I'm not a gutless person but in todays times especially if I had a family with me or at home I would rather write the plate down and stop at the first Police station.
Other than that YES these idiots do infuriate
AnswerID: 489772

Follow Up By: ncfc - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:50

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:50
Yeah, with you there Howesy.......no crazy driving involved trying to catch, just hoping for a chance meeting and the chance to "air some views", but it makes my blood boil watching these cretins place the lives of others at risk. It was a QLD plate but there a fair few Vic plates driving with equal abandon.
FollowupID: 764914

Follow Up By: Jeff P - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 00:06

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 00:06
I see it all the time here in central qld I just cant believe that people are so STUPID and have no regard for other people they just pull out and hope that someone will let them in and they are usually the ones that survive the accident
Jeff
FollowupID: 764939

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:03

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:03
Sounds like another Victorian trying to fit a trip to the Cape into two weeks of school holidays. :)
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489773

Follow Up By: P and JM - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:53

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 17:53
Or one of the Queenslander's who don't care about other road users.
Yes I mean that, they are some of the worst road users I have come across !!

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 764904

Follow Up By: Member - Dirt Princess - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:26

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 18:26
Oh and I've been told us WA people are the worst....mmm...just goes to show that we each think the others are worse.
FollowupID: 764911

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:22

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:22
Gee Kevin you have thrown out a "bait" with that comment. In relation to the poster why not get the idiots rego number (they are not morons because morons have some brains) report the idiot to the police before they kill someone or themselves. The responsible people in this world should have the B***s to take action rather than whinge!! Catch up to the idiot & do what? That;s how more trouble starts.
FollowupID: 764918

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 21:14

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 21:14
Dirt Princess,

come on now we Queenslanders know we are worst drivers than anyone else in the world or another big place. WA. may be bigger but we are worst drivers. We have to be good at something.

FollowupID: 764931

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:22

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:22
Watch it !
We arn't all dumb and impatient

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 764946

Reply By: Axle - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:08

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:08
The thing is mate its been going on for years!!,.. Its just that there appears to be more travellers as years go by,so the percentage of morons on the road increases with it!...Never going to go away.....Unfortunateley!.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 489784

Reply By: Member - Josh- Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:35

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:35
When we first started our trip we headed to Tassie. We were driving from Launceston to Hobart and came across a head on collission. A guy had pulled out to pass two cars and a semi and got caught in the wrong lane on a corner. He hit a car coming the other way and killed Mum, Dad and 2 kids who were on holidays. There was an over taking lane 1km up the road.
I travel into Melbourne regulary and you see people weaving through the traffic only to get caught at the next nights so you catch up to them.
Will people ever learn???????
I had a P plater change lanes on me the other night and I had to brake hard to miss him, just so he could beat a truck through the lights, mind you, there was no room for him to change lanes but he didn't care. He then got caught in traffic so I pulled up beside him and told him what I thought of him. He slowed right down and I never saw him again thankfully. So I know what you mean wanting to talk to them. He was very shy when I pulled up next to him lol.

Safe driving all
Josh
AnswerID: 489790

Reply By: david s27 - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:57

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:57
Post a description on your UHF , Mr plod is often listening , I've done this Quite often it's good when you get a result ....................Cheers
AnswerID: 489795

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:57

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:57
Wait until you get to WA.....we have plenty moron drivers in this state.
BW.
AnswerID: 489796

Follow Up By: Member - blackbird1937 - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 23:22

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 23:22
There are plenty of bad drivers in Vic too ,I saw a L plater today on a freeway at 110 kms p h in the rain without lights on . Could not keep in his lane and laughing about it . The person with him should have had more nouse and told him to slow down to a speed he could steer the vehicle safely at . He is not the first that I have seen that wanders all over the road like lost sheep . There were quite a few vehicles in fog and rain without lights on . We all have to learn but some of the people sitting alongside of the learners must be shocking drivers too letting them drive like that .
FollowupID: 764938

Reply By: Member DZ- Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 08:03

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 08:03
Sad to think how many times in all parts of this great country I have seen this happen.WHY are people in such a hurry. I have been run off the road several times by clever thinking people such as you describe. The time they save must be of some value to them, shame they do not feel the same about the life they will one day end or destroy by their clever driving.
AnswerID: 489825

Reply By: landseka - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:02

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:02
The more one sees and hears of this reckless behaviour the more I feel justified in joining the growing ranks of people fitting Dash Cameras of some kind to record the incident along with rego numbers of the idiot and, importantly the rego of other vehicles that are affected by the idiot so the police can interview independent witnesses to the incident and can take action.
I have just ordered one of these...BlackVue Dash Cam.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 489828

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:22

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:22
G'day Noname. The other serious concern your tale highlights is the need to leave a gap in the traffic for people to pull in & not drive bumper to bumper as so many do. It certainly infruiates me when traffic is tavelling at 20kph below the posted speed with several people happy to sit there & not pass but then not leave the room for others that do. (Some even close the gap up on purpose so they can't pass) This often ends up with the exact scenario you've just described where a driver moves out to overtake a few slow cars only to find they can't get back in then must accellerate to pass the lot.
As for trying to catch him well.................... you just brought yourself down to his level ;-)
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 489829

Follow Up By: ncfc - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 18:16

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 18:16
Nope, disagree...some people need a gob full, particularly in front of their missus and kids, to make them see the error of their ways. Not advocating violence at all, but I think you cannot continue to hide behind your wheel and hope plod hears you on the uhf.
FollowupID: 765018

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 21:25

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 21:25
Firstly I agree totally with Crackles about a gap.

Secondly ncfc: what on earth are you on about? Are you proposing that we all adopt a "road rage" mentality and buy a loud hailer. No way. Let them go and just take it easy - relax and enjoy the drive.
FollowupID: 765032

Reply By: Croozerute - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:53

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 09:53
Let me guess.. The car sitting directly behind the truck, was sitting right up its backside and couldnt see past it... Making it impossible to know when to overtake, meaning it sat behind forever, and the next car then was scared to overtake both, and so on and so on... .
See it regularly ...lol
AnswerID: 489836

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 17:17

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 17:17
That is a very good point :-)

See that a lot. If you do not want to overtake, sit back and give room to those who do.

I for one will sit on the speed limit :-)

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 765120

Reply By: Holden4th - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 19:55

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 19:55
How you overtake is also part of the issue. Now that I've got a Patrol I've had to rethink what I do when I overtake, Just planting the foot doesn't work as well as it did in my Paj as the torque ratios are all different. The gradual overtake works and surprisingly, it takes the same amount of time though I have to be aware that I don't have that much in reserve. This makes me a little bit more cautious as opposed to those who think that their vehicle is going so fast that they can overtake as many vehicles as possible. You can eventually reach a stage where you can't get a sudden spurt of speed and yet you are going so fast that braking is not really going to do the trick. You end up in no man's land with nowhere left to go. Unfortunately, the person innocently coming in the other direction is also in that spot.
AnswerID: 489900

Sponsored Links