packing a caravan for working around OZ

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 19:25
ThreadID: 96603 Views:1930 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
With only 6 weeks to go till we start travelling OZ permanently, packing is still our biggest problem.We have a 17'6' coromal Capri pioneer with a front kitchen and back bedroom but want to get the weight right .Those travelling could you please share any hints or ideas that would help.We are starting at Brisbane and heading to Humpty Do and then who knows.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 20:03

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 20:03
We have learnt to pack less and less every trip - however long. There are shops everywhere so don't stock up too much on food - just carry a few basics and a couple of tins in case you get stuck somewhere for a night or two. Otherwise shop as you go and save weight and be popular in the towns you go through. Shopping also provides many opportunities to find out about the district you are in. For clothes we take a couple of 'decent' non iron garments each to cover the seasons in case we have to look really presentable for any reason (eg got caught by a funeral once!). These travel in a dustproof zip up bag under the bed. Then we just pack a few jeans, shorts, shirts and a couple of jumpers each and undies. Laundromats and travelling will destroy your clothes so you replace them as you go. Take a coat or jacket each and a hat. Don't take any clothes that need careful washing or dry cleaning! Or ironing!
If you like to read get an e-reader! Otherwise take just a few books and swap at secondhand shops as you go. Take enough basic kitchen equipment and a recipe book or two so you can prepare a variety of meals - eating out gets very expensive and fairly monotonous. We wouldn't be without our stove top espresso coffee pot and hand coffee grinder - excellent cheap coffee where ever we go! We have recently acquired a Weber Baby Q barbecue and love it - we can cook all BBQs as well as roast, damper, bread and cakes Well worth its weight. If in doubt don't pack it! You don't want jammed full cupboards and stuff everywhere! The things you need must be easily accessible! Good luck! Lynne
AnswerID: 489798

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 20:56

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 20:56
Carl,
I have a Coromal excel 511 which is about 1 foot shorter than yours and has the same configuration.

Mine has to much ball weight at around 180Kg. I tend to store most of our heavy items under the bed and keep the weight down in the front. Even my jack is under the bed. The 10% rule is a guide only and many times you don't need that sort of weight on your drawbar.

We use those old plastic cube boxes like milk crates to segregate items and keep them from spreading themselves everywhere.

As said you don't need much and you are better off finding you need something than carting things around you don't need. You will be surprised what you can live without and what you can use in it's place.

We use plastic plates, bowls and only carry enough for ourselves. Even our one sharp knife is a scanpan with about a 150mm blade that has a scabbed.

We keep pots and pans to a minimum and only carry one gas bottle. If I am lazy we will run out but if I check we have no problems.

We carry a toaster, kettle, Small ceramic heater,and small fan all in their original boxes that I have reinforced with duct tape. These are kept in the corner bin beside the sink which I think will be the a same as yours.

One thing do yourself a favour and by some CRC Dry Glide (which is not silicon spray and if you use it please read the instructions first) and spray the internal mechanisms on you cupboard doors. Also make sure the handles on these locks are tight.

Clothes. Carry enough for at least a week so you don't have to be washing all the time. When you shower wash you undies at the same time cuts down on the missus washing.

Veggies can be kept for some time under the bed and don't have to be refrigerated so this frees up fridge space.

Our front boot only has a small light weight table, light weight chairs and hoses and hose fittings plus stabiliser winding handle and TV ariel. I use double sided velcro around all my hose and leads. We carry 2-10amp leads and 2-15amp leads that I keep in a drawbar mounted space case with wheel chocks and a levelling ramp.

A battery drill, drill bits and star driver is very handy.

Also I keep an inventory of where everything is in the vehicle and van.

Tyres. Make sure you have good LT tyres and they aren't to old. I have gone the next size up to increase the load carrying capacity of the tyre as van manufacturers will go for what is just required.

Have a great trip.

AnswerID: 489800

Sponsored Links