Colorado 2010 3.0 ltr turbo diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 13:45
ThreadID: 96616 Views:3205 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Any body had similar problems?
Just heading to a BBQ last night along Picton road down to Wollongong NSW.
Travelling along on cruise control at 90klm when noticed loss of power accelerator unable to stop loss of speed pulled over motor idling and light rev all ok checked fuel cap for built up pressure ok under the bonnet all seams fine in the dark , not hot no fumes or strange noises,
Turned around and limped home noticing cruise control won't engage engine light on and above 1600rpm dumping lots of black smoke (unburnt fuel).
Checked it out a while ago, starting, idling all ok took inlet pipe of turbo and turbo appears to spin freely.
Me thinks it might be electrical. Recently added 3" exhaust from turbo back all fine no leaks, then last week added K & N air filter element, noticed a pleasing small reduction in fuel consumption and more drivable vehice until this. Any body no the symptoms.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 13:55

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 13:55
Is the K &N an oiled element, if so chuck it as the oil mucks up the airflow sensor, possibly even wrecking it, common problem with lots of modern engines.
AnswerID: 489867

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 14:04

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 14:04
Only on heated element air flow meters like the Nissan Patrol.
FollowupID: 764987

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 14:09

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 14:09
Grant,

This has been an occasional problem for some on the forum over a number of years. Think the fix was to remove offending sensor and clean with CRC carby cleaner. The problem seems to have occurred more often with the heavier foam filters, like Finer Filters etc.

Surprised you achieved an improvement in economy with the K&N, i've had one on a 79 series turbo, and any economy boost has been almost immeasureable. Fitted 3" Redback exhaust....now that's big difference!!!

Hope you're mobile soon, without any dramas,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 764988

Follow Up By: Grant L - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 15:45

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 15:45
Bob,
Your worth more money, thank you for that info it worked!
Read your post then went out took the inter cooler off checked the inlet pipe and cleaned it checked the inter cooler it appears clean wiped the inlet and outlet anyway went to the outlet pipe took out the sensor which was a bit wet and dirty ( its above the inlet butterfly) cleaned it with turps (all I had) filled the pipe with a bit of two stroke petrol I had on hand and flushed/wiped it clean, disconnected the sensor on outlet of air box (clean as a whistle) put it all back together not much change left it idle and disconnected the air box sensor while motor running, engine revs went up, reved motor whilst sense disconnected and I would only rev to 1500/1600rpm replaced sensor and wow alls good took it around the block cruise control going again power back, reved it to 3000 only cleaned the lungs with a puf of grey and seams back to normal! Except engine light still on, will take it to local( J P diesel service) tomorrow and get it checked/adjusted.
Thank you for that info feeling much better

Grant
FollowupID: 764994

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:01

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:01
Just dont tell them what happened, then ask them what was the code in regards to the problem, then ask them to replace it under warranty, then you know it will be new and no possible after effects from using turps. Cant beat the genuine paper elements I reckon..................
FollowupID: 765002

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:01

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 17:01
Thanks for the endorsement, Grant. Glad to be able to help. Will email my boss's phone number shortly!!! LOL

Those K&N's don't seem to need much oil on them, but you might have to experiment to find out just how much. Their value in really dusty conditions is questionable too. Think paper rules, just check out any CAT machinery, it's all dry paper elements.

It's amazing how much dust a paper element can take, before becoming restrictive....it's heaps & heaps. The shortest time we ever got, on an elevating scraper, was 8 hrs. And that was in intense bulldust, where you could see the dust funnelling into the precleaner.

Blokes that clean 'em everyday, or even weekly, on their travels, are introducing more dust into the system than they're stopping. Ah, better get off my soap box, Grant.

Good it's mobile again,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 765003

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 14:03

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 14:03
Knowing what caused it is like find someone's house with no address somewhere in Melbourne..... thousands of possibilities.

The only way to find the problem is to use a scan tool to retrieve the fault codes and then try to find the cause.

Could be anything from over boosting, under boost, servo motor fault, fuel delivery, battery voltage, communications error and anything else.

One common fault with big exhausts and a modified air filter is overboost on very cold days.... but you need to know the fault code first.

If it has gone into limp mode that indicates that it is a major fault or a minor fault that has happened X amount of time over a given time frame.

The fault light can come on for mechanical problems if a sensor detects something is out of parameter.
AnswerID: 489868

Sponsored Links