Where are these places?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 20:26
ThreadID: 96641 Views:2344 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
At the top of the Forum page are photographs which you are sometimes able to acertain the location by 'mousing' over them.
Yesterday there was one of a 'Cooper crossing' (punt visible) but no clue as to the location and the time taken.
Tonight there are a number of wooden structures but the origin is simply given as Exploroz. Where's the barn?
Is it possible for this info to accompany the pics?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nicko 57 - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 21:16

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 21:16
mungo Nat park i think

joe
AnswerID: 489988

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:34

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:34
Correct the first time Joe.
FollowupID: 765160

Follow Up By: werewasi - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:37

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:37
Are we talking about the woolshed ( I called it a barn)

Was Mungo private land at one stage?
FollowupID: 765161

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:55

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:55
Try this for a start.

Mungo National Park - Culture and history

FollowupID: 765162

Reply By: the_fitzroys - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:59

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:59
Maybe I'm a bit grumpy tonight but I pay to belong to Exploroz. I don't mind sharing information and advice - the very generous advice from members is the reason a lot of us became members in the first place. I can understand werewasi's frustration at not having identification of the pictures. But advice/mild complaints from non-members as to how things might be improved on the site is not appreciated. Become a member, werewasi, and then have your say.

And if I see one more "I'm about to chuck the kids in the truck and hit the road for a year, never camped and what do I need to pack?" post I might throw up.

Louise

AnswerID: 489994

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 23:26

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 23:26
Just tell them to buy "4WD Australia" from the EO shop Louise. LOL

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 765166

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 02:40

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 02:40
Ummmmm, maybe I am missing something important ..........

"the_fitzroys replied:
Maybe I'm a bit grumpy tonight but I pay to belong to Exploroz."

I at times wonder where some of the pictured places are too.

Because I am not a "Paid Member" I should be excluded from information posted on this site??

Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 765169

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 08:11

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 08:11
Hey folks - cool it!!!

Some time ago forumites were invited to provide images for the header. It's pretty simple really. Just make up a strip of a dozen or more of your good images, maybe with a theme, and send them to David with a suitable caption. I'm sure that invitation is still open.

When you make up a strip you'll find there really isn't a single title that describes your new composite image. Today's (Tuesday) for example is one of ours and short of captioning each of about 20 images, which would involve far more work than is justified, it isn't possible to provide a specific title. In any case, the theme for today's was simply "explore Oz", and very few of the images are specific to time or place.

The beauty of this site is that everyone is welcome to contribute and to draw on the pool of experience and expertise contributed by others. Some choose to join as members, some sign up for life, others stay in the background, some come to the fore, some choose not to join. All are welcome to contribute to the pool and to draw from it.

Those who'd like to contribute a header pic, please do so. See David's post 92568 for details and specifications for the images. It isn't hard to do so long as you have a photo editor capable of resizing images, and combining them into a strip. (We use the freeby XNView for all our editing.)

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490013

Follow Up By: werewasi - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 11:28

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 11:28
John and Val,
Thanks for stepping in.

I wasn't intending to be critical of any pic contributions, merely trying to say that lots of them are so interesting and great that it's just a little perplexing not to know where they were taken.

I posted this week about a fascinating map that I discovered because it seemed like a nice idea to share this information with others. (and the replies indicate that others were simillarily taken with it)

I didn't know of the complexities in titlling them so thanks for the explanation.

and yes, Ii should have searched 'Mungo Park" before asking that question.
FollowupID: 765202

Follow Up By: P and JM - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 19:19

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 19:19
Well said John and Val, I'm a visitor and enjoy this site. It's a very helpful and interesting 4x4 site for all to use.

Maybe it's people like the above who drive people away from this site !

Reason I am not a member is I am retired on a very small income.

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 765249

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 19:59

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 19:59
G'day all,

I might have too much time on my hands but....I see some of the photos ans if something catches my eye, and I can get a half a clue where it might be, I'll start digging around to try and find where it is.

My wife kindly smiles and says, "well done" when I excitedly link my found location with the ExplorOz photos. This can end up with me searching Google and Blogs (combined they are the largest part of my brain), then working out a trip to look at a hill near a waterhole, or a dead tree.

It keeps me out of trouble and gives me an excuse to drink beer in a new location.

Actually, if werewasi works out a trip to the Red Centre, he is only a sandflag from being a Member. That's how I got my membership. In 3 weeks time I'm taking my sandflag for a 13,500 km drive, just from seeing a picture of as place I never heard of.

Hoo roo,
Steve

FollowupID: 765254

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 20:04

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 20:04
Thank you both for your followups.

Werewasi - I didn't find your original post at all offensive or critical though it appears some saw it as critical. Fact is, you raised a valid point and one that I'd discussed with David some time ago. Nothing's impossible, but the effort in individually titling the little images simply isn't justified. I'd like to see users ask the question "Where is it" as a forum post when they find an image interesting or intriguing.

P&J - Thank you for your comments on the site. I have had a lot of help here and recall one special occasion - A member (some will remember Footloose, sadly no longer with us) had been very helpful in resolving an hf radio issue for me. I thanked him and he responded " I've had a lot of help myself from a lot of good people, and it's a pleasure to repay a little into the 'help pool'". It's a philosophy that permeates this site and helps set the overall tone that we can all subscribe to. (P&J, please note that your second paragraph is out of order!!)

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765256

Reply By: graham B9 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 21:23

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 21:23
I can agree with the comment about seeing the same question appear SO many times over and over. How do I do this when that question has been asked and answered.

Then you reply to a question with advice from your expereince and get no reply let alone a thanks you. You just saved me hours of time, frustration and money but I cannot be bothered to type 2 words of gratitude.

Reading the forum is fun and brings back memories of places and trying to do jobs as well, but you get fed up spending 30 minutes writing an answer and wonder why you took the time.

There you are my 5 minutes of complaint. I still ready the forum however everyday.
AnswerID: 490088

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 23:01

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 23:01
Don't reply expecting an answer.

There are a lot of people on the internet and there just might be some that pass through ther ExporOz site and disappear into the ether.

Don't worry about it, or don't answer.

Hoo roo
FollowupID: 765382

Reply By: werewasi - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 20:05
Just a couple of final points.

John and Val,
No I wasn't suggesting that you were the party being critical of my query about the titling. it was someone else.

What I do think is that we need to hold back a little when we perceive that someone else is getting a free ride because we don't have the whole picture.

I had a wonderful experience two years ago when i rode a Moto Guzzi for two months across the US. The MG community whom I'd talked to for a long time previously on their forum, asking for tips on how to go about planning this, reached out and invited me to stay at their places as I passed through. Most of them will never come to Aus. so sadly I can't repay their hospitaliity.
However what I did absorb was their belief in "paying forward" where as host/helper they did something without reward. What YOU do, is go out of your way later to help someone else. Real Karma stuff.

Still didn't get an answer about the punt on the Cooper. whereabouts?
AnswerID: 490135

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 21:59

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 21:59
Hi Werewasi,

The punt on the Cooper is on the Birdsville Track.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765374

Sponsored Links