Deep Cycle battery question?

G'day, have looked at the archives and can't find much current , pun not intended, information about suitable deep cycle batteries. Looking for something about 100-130 A/H in a N70 sized case, or there abouts, sealed. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rooster350 - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:05

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:05
We have a AC DELCO MARINE 105ah sealed deep cycle in the van , it has been there since it was put in way back in March 2002....it does not get a lot of work , camping trip up to 4 - 8 weeks each year with a trip to Darwin & return from Vic. each 3 to 4 yrs....it still seems to be working o.k. I have it tested every now and then just to make sure that it is not going to drop its bundle when I really do not want it to( like in the middle of a camping trip).It runs all the van lights, a Waeco fridge, portable shower , tv , cd/dvd player....kept charged by a 80w folding solar panel , from car when traveling....cheers
AnswerID: 490101

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:51

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:51
Thanks, over 10 years is a good run from a battery. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 765310

Follow Up By: drowned_rat - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 18:34

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 18:34
+1 for the AC Delco.
I had a 100AH Voyager battery in my LandCruiser running a Waeco CF50 fridge, it was used a couple of times a year + a few months straight when we first bought it. The battery lasted 8 years.
I connected it to the main battery with a 100A relay and starter motor grade cabling. The relay was operated when I turned the ignition on.
The vehicle was fitted with an aftermarket 110 Amp alternator, the best I saw after start up was 70A from the alternator, 40A into the starting battery and 30A into the AC Delco. The best run out of a fridge was 5 days camping in Cape Leveque with a 1 hour drive on the 3rd day.
FollowupID: 765847

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:25

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:25
John,

Depends on where you are and where you want to mount the battery. If in the trailer, an AGM type for preference, but if under the bonnet where it is a bit too hot for AGM, then maybe stick with a sealed wet type. My AGMs came from Battery Value, a business member of this site that I found very helpful, and though they are in Brisbane, they still won on price delivered to Canberra. I selected (and have been happy with) their own badged AGM batteries so I can't comment on the regular brands. Worth getting Peter's (Battery Value) recommendations whether you deal with him or not - very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490103

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:53

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:53
Thanks for the reply, I will give Peter a bell. Batteries will be in the trailer, so looks like AGM. Cheers, John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 765312

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 17:15

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 17:15
John, I just snagged a Fullriver 105A-h battery as recommended by my cluey mechanic. It matches the one I already have in the van which is still kicking aling after twelve months of easy work. Now I can confidently add the inverter to the setup and use some 240v when remote from the lectricity.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490122

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 17:57

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 17:57
Bonz, what size is it, how much and from whom? Cheers, John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 765336

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 20:47
N70 size from R&J Batteries in Ballarat, and around $270 i think, but my memorys sketchy
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 765365

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 21:30
Thanks
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 765372

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 17:40

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 17:40
Bonz, Your cluey mechanic was on the money. Look after the Fullriver and lets talk again in 10 years.!
FollowupID: 765444

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 20:14

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 20:14
I've got two of the SSB Dryfit AGM - 100Ah in an N70 size case. Cost $265 each including delivery off Ebay. They work so far!
AnswerID: 490138

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 21:31

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 21:31
Thanks for the info. Cheers
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 765373

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 04:04

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 04:04
John

We use these at work, in the warehouse vacuum cleaners, and they last for ages, ad go for years, charged daily.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/

I am not sure weather this is true, but have been told that problem is that true deep cycle battery's is they need an electric charger to fully charge them.
Not much chop 1000km from nowhere, unless you have a DC to DC charger, then again I am not sure weather they will be good enuf to charge either.

Where are the Guru's when you need them ?

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 490154

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 07:25

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 07:25
Thanks Bucky
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 765393

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:41

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:41
Now a couple of things I am going to say might be considered contravercial, others ya simply cant argue with.

Firstly the N70 package is going to limit you real AH capacity to arround 100-110Ah.....be carefull how the AH capacity is quoted.....The 10 hour rate is realy the engineering standard for batteries but some insist on quoting the 20 hour rate which will make the battery look better.

Ask ya self is a deep cycle battery realy appropriate...if you are hitting it hard, and may drain it in a day then need to hammer the charge into it over 4 to 6 hours...that is more a cyclic application rather than deep cycle.

Deep cycle batteries perform best when discharged over a relativly long period and charge likewise.....the cycle depth tolerance is overstated in high charge and discharge situations.

A good qialuty cranking battery may be a better choice.

Some deep cycle batteries will not tolerate high charge rates.....particularly some deep cycle AGM.
One deep cycle AGM that may be mentioned in this thread has a maximum initial charge rate limited to 20 amps......not good if ya want to hammer 30 or 40 amps in straight from ya alternator.

AS for AGM......I simply cant see the advantage of AGM in any case where a nonspillable battery is required.....being AGM it will be twice the price of a similar quality sealed maintenance free battery.

Remember there is no such thing as a completly sealed battery, they all have vent/valves, can and will vent explosive gasses and acid mist under certain circumstances.....all batteries should be installed upright in vehicles and should be adequately veltilated.

personally I use a sealed maintenance free marine battery in both cranking and aux positions.

there are many of these...I prefeer the supercharge seamaster gold. The Catepillar batteries have a very good following, they are a rugged construction battery similar to a marine battery and can be purchased for the parts department of ya local Catepillar eatrhmoving dealer.

If ya go for a a marine battery it will cost you about half what an AGM will of similar size and quality......

just some thaughts.

cheers
AnswerID: 490169

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:49

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:49
Oh another contravercial statement.

This idea that ya cant FULLY CHARGE this or that barttery from ya car alternator is complete and utter bunkum.

You can and will fully charge all lead acid family batteries from a car alternator, but it may take some time........think in terms of 4 to 6 hours minimum.

If using a steady state (constant voltage) battery charger of any type the final stages of charging a battery are very slow.....BUT they will get there.

The new funky automated multistage chargers WILL complete these final stages considerably faster.

AND
What some people are now calling "fully charged" in the past we would have considered over charged.........this over charge will increase the stored charge in the short term but it will disipate naturally in a very short time.

cheers
FollowupID: 765414

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:53

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:53
Correction because I cant edit previoulsy posted posts.

I cant see the advantage of an AGM where a nonspillable battery is not required.

cheers
FollowupID: 765415

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 17:30

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 17:30
Thanks Bantam, more food for thought. Cheers, John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 765442

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 17:38

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 17:38
A little confused by some of your comments. Personally I have moved away from wet batteries to AGM where possible and never looked back. A proper deep cycle battery is designed to be used accordingly where you talk about a good quality cranking battery instead? In an application like a van where the battery may not be charged all the time a good deep cycle AGM will last miles longer than a cranking battery and provide better performance across the board. Notwithstanding the use of a multi stage charger like a Ctek or similar in conjunction with a Deep Cycle AGM battery there is no reason why you won't get 10 years out of them, I am approaching 8 years from my Fullriver AGM's in a marine application, it's one area when I head out to sea I have full confidence. Your later corrections shed some light on some of your comments but I think you create confusion elsewhere. In a van application I would be charging and maintaining the chosen AGM battery with a multistage charger like a Ctek in conjunction with the vehicles charging system.
FollowupID: 765443

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 23:14

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 23:14
Sorry mate I have had relativly basic cranking batteries last 7 years.

I know people who claim to have had 10 years pluss out of top quality long life wet cell deep cycle in properly designed applications.

The biggest issue is the quality of the battery, most people stepping from wett cell to AGM are not making a equal quality transition.

the second single biggest factor in battery life is temperature...get a battery out from under the bonnet and to somewhere cool and you will very likly double the life of the battery.

lots of people are having very disapointing life out of AGM because they are either exceeding the temperature specification or the maximum initial charge rate or both.

So you recon you will get twice the life out of a similar type, quality and purpose AGM V wett cell.....because the AGM will be twice the price.

If you are running certain AGM batteries you will need to spend quite a few hundred dollars more on a DC to DC charger simpy to limit the maximum charge rate.
How much more life would be added to a simple good quality cranking battery if it was put in a cool place and managed by a funky DC to DC charger.

As I have said it so many times.......we can not take generalisations for granted we need to look at the specification of the individual battery.

If you want to hammer a battery hard.....lets face it thats what quite a few of us do......a cranking battery will tolerate it better than many deep cycle batteries.

OH.....if the marine cranking battery is half the price of the AGM...you could fit twice the battery capacity for the same price......THAT is a game changer.

cheers
FollowupID: 765469

Sponsored Links