Cania Gorge National Park

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:41
ThreadID: 96682 Views:6227 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We just got back from a week camping at Cania Gorge and just posting an update so people know what they can expect from either of the 2 camping/caravan parks in the area.

We stayed at eh Big4 Cania Gorge Holiday Park - WOW what a park. As far a facilities go, this is one of the best parks we have seen for quite a while. If you have young (ish) kids, they will definitely love this place. We were there during Qld School holidays so lots for them to do.

The park has a great water park, with circular slide, sprayers, pools etc - too cold for the adults but that didn't stop any of the kids from having a ball. there is also a tennis court, 2 x jumping ballons (the kids spent ALOT of time on these - even some of the "bigger" kids had a bounce as well :) ), daily bird feeding (the birds also fly right up to you at you own camp sites so a huge hit with the kids - and adults) and outdoor movies every night. This park also allows campfires, in designated pits, which were great for keeping everyone warm on the cold nights/mornings. Sites are also very spacious so you are definitely not "crammed in" like some of the coast tourist parks.

The park also has a number of huge shared camping kitchens spread throughout the park, with all the modern cons in them.

The only real negative we found at this park were the prices they were charging for any extras (or essentials) etc. The owners provide "home cooked" meals throughout the week - "fish and chips" on Friday, wood oven pizza's on Saturday, Camp Fire Roast on Monday night etc, but at $20+ per person for a roast dinner (and with 6 of us), we found these prices just too much to participate. Similar the wood fired pizzas, while they sounded great, at $15 for a medium "Ham & Pineapple" and $20-$30 for a large pizza, once again, just too expensive for us to try. (Much cheaper to drive the 25-30 km's into Monto to the IGA and buy some frozen pizzas and cook/heat them in the camp kitchen micowaves - kids didn't know any different, and MUCH cheaper on our hip pocket).

While we didn't stay at the other camping ground (Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat) in the area, we did check it out. The owners were great and we had a good chat with them. The park itself, is a nice spot. It is a lot more "bush camping" than the Big4, but still has all the facilities you need. Sites are spacious and well grassed and has plenty of shade.

As far as the pick of the parks, it really depends on who you are going with and what they like doing. If you are just going with adults to get away from it all, do some of the "bush walks" etc then the 1st park you come to (Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat) is probably the one for you. If however, you have kids and want plenty for them to do (as we have), then the Big4 park would be my choice. The Big4 is slightly more expensive to stay, but more and makes up for it with the "extras" to keep the kids occupied.

If you have any questions let me know.
Cheers,
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Iain M - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 13:04

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 13:04
Great review ksix,

We stayed at the Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat and found it as you said.
Great camping with good facilities.

There is an interesting drive to an WWII aircraft wreck from the Gorge.

Link;

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-24/42-40387.html

Probably at least 7-8 hour trip there and back, good scenery, lots of gates and some alternate tracks that satisfy the 4WD need.

Thanks
AnswerID: 490178

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 18:25

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 18:25
Hey Ian,

Yeah we HAD planned (well at least I had...) on doing a trip up to Kroombit and visit the aircraft wreck, but after speaking with the owners of the Big4 about the trip they advised against it when we were there as there had been a lot of recent rain (rained the first couple of days of our trip, plus a lot more before that) and a couple of vehicles had gotten "stuck" and couldn't make it back to camp... right up my alley, but the missus wasn't too keen on giving it a go, so will have to leave that one for another time...

Cheers,
Brian
FollowupID: 765445

Reply By: Darren (Greta West) - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 15:04

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 15:04
Ksix,

Our family stayed @ the Cania Gorge Big 4 Park back in 2006. At that stage our kids were only 4 & 2 & they had a great time too.

FWIW, if you're after a taste of Carnarvon Gorge then Cania Gorge is the place to go. It's nowhere near as remote so much easier to access by road & the walks are much shorter.

So having now enjoyed this trip, do yourself a favour & if you get the chance visit Carnarvon Gorge. My wife is bloody hard to please & she loved the place!! Was there in 1998, had to pre-book for the caravan park & I doubt this will have changed. A small inconvenience though once you experience the place.
AnswerID: 490185

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 18:28

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 18:28
Hey Darren,

Yep Canarvon is DEFINITELY on our DO TO list. Cania was cold enough for us (camping in June/July) so may have to wait till the warmer months before we head out that way :) ...
FollowupID: 765446

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 19:53

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 19:53
here's an old trip reoprt i did from when we stayed at The Big 4 park at Cania Gorge back in 2007, including the drive to the Liberty Bomber in Kroombit Tops Nat. Park.http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37596&hilit=cania+gorge
interesting to read in the original post they now have a water park there, been meaning to get back there for a while now as we enjoyed the area so much last time we were there.
cheers for the update on the area
AnswerID: 490194

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 20:29

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 20:29
By the sounds of it we should have given the liberty bomber trip ago. Sounds like a great day trip. The owners mentioned that we would have to go through a deep creek crossing and a few steep sections to get out ?? Is that true ??

Enjoyed reading about your trip and seeing your photos at the above link.

Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 765455

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:36

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:36
Hi Brian,
i don't recall doing any real creek crossings from a 4wding perpesctive and certainly not anything that was deep, but it wasn't raining at the time of our visit either, so it's possible things change when rain falls there.
the steep section i can recall was on the alternate route out from the bomber, i remember locking the vehicle into 4wd (we drove the rest of the time in 2wd) as a precautionary thing due to us being in the park solo and the wife heavily pregnant at the time, but nothing super extreme from memory.
the drive took us all day to get from the Big 4 park to the bomber and back again to our campsite. i can't remember exact details, but we left early (about 7.00 ish i think) , and didn't get back to the Big 4 park until very late in the afternoon, we stopped a couple of times for a quick break to eat, but certainly didn't stand around for too long whilst doing so. next time your there be sure and do the drive, it's a great day out, but certainly a busy day for who ever is doing the driving.
cheers
Mal
FollowupID: 765524

Sponsored Links